Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    There should be another command to purge the email after it's marked for deletion. It seems that command isn't being sent from the Pre to the server. The ISP for my private domain confirmed that the server is waiting for the command to purge emails marked for deletion. If that command was sent, the emails marked for deletion would go away.
    Ahh. Thanks for this. This is ridiculous. WAKE UP PALM! These are basic, easily solved problems.

I guess I'll write a cron job tonight to look for marked for deletion messages on my courier server and purge them. *sigh*.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I did a search of the forum (that's how I found this post instead of creating a new one). You're the only person who has claimed that's the way it's supposed to work.
    Here a link to the full discussion. It is not my statement, but my email provider's statement quoted in this posting. It is easily findable via a search for topics with IMAP in the topic heading on this site.
    Link

In a way, you're right. IMAP marks emails as read and for deletion on the server. However, you're wrong in the fact that they aren't supposed to be purged from the server via mobile device.
    That's not what I said. I stated the default is to leave them on the server. You're putting words into my statement that I did not make, and my original post is quite clear. The default IMAP implementation does not purge messages from a server.

It would make no sense to force people to download email a second time via email client (or on a webpage) to delete it a second time. That removes the advantages of IMAP to begin with if we have to touch every email twice.
    Not every client forces you to download it a second time. When I open the email clients I use, the messages deleted via the mobile device are shown in a strikethrough font. A simple menu command to "Purge IMAP deleted" then erases all these from the particular mailbox. Only the message header has been downloaded.

There should be another command to purge the email after it's marked for deletion. It seems that command isn't being sent from the Pre to the server. The ISP for my private domain confirmed that the server is waiting for the command to purge emails marked for deletion. If that command was sent, the emails marked for deletion would go away.
    Yes, if the other options of IMAP were implemented, we would be able to do so - and I hope that Palm does this sometime. That does exist in the IMAP protocol, but just not in our Pre's. But the Pre works exactly as a the IMAP default is intended to work - it's not some glitch or programming problem.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I'm a power user with several email accounts and reconfigured one on Outlook as IMAP. Outlook adds new folders for the account instead of using the ones already set up. Plus it does require downloading the email headers prior to purging them.

I'm not too keen on how Outlook restructured the folders because I use the Rules for sorting email into various folders. So in my situation where I'd really like to get email via Pre in real-time, I have 3 options which are all annoying:
    1. Spend time to reconfigure PC clients to purge deleted email. Deal with a totally different folder structure.
    2. Log into email via website to initiate purge before downloading the email I wish to keep to my PC client.
    3. Leave PC client accounts set-up as POP protocol and double-delete email.

Hopefully somebody is able to create a nice patch for Homebrew to solve this instead of waiting on Palm.

@jp99 - looks like I struck a nerve there, easy fella. I wasn't putting words in your mouth. I did see your other post, and in both threads you're coming across as there's nothing wrong, that's the way it's supposed to work.

Well, it is a problem, just like how the core text message application doesn't allow people to forward text messages. (Thanks to Homebrew, we have that functionality.) I'm obviously not the only person in this thread who feels Palm left out basic and important functionality. We just don't know if that was an intentional decision or a simple oversight.

You're missing the point of what people are saying and are instead lecturing us.

I look forward with eager anticipation to see how you dissect this post.
    Last edited by Hobbz; 11/09/2009 at 05:03 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12