Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Hi,
    I wondered if any Mac users have been able to sync their Mac OS X address book using Mark Space's Missing Sync. (There's a free beta demo)

I used Palm Migration utility to transfer my contacts over the first time and haven't been able to sync my contacts.

They use WiFi for contact sync and USB for media etc. The USB part works for my but not the WiFi part.
    Contacts works for me but not the calendar. When I say contacts "works" I should qualify. The proximity sync rarely seems to initiate on it's own. Calendar takes 20-30 min to sync, making it more or less useless as far as I'm concerned, and then it is full of errors. Contacts seem basically OK just not automatic (i.e. need to manually initiate sync).
    Both Calendar and Contact syncing works for me, although it is kind of slow for a WiFi connection.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Thanks for writing. That's interesting. I can't get my contacts to Sync at all. I'm using theWiFi at a hotel, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. When I tried to create a Network on my Mac the Pre coouldn't see it which I didn't understand.
    I could not get contacts to sync either at home or at hotel. I have thousands of contacts from work but am not sure if that has anything to do with it.
    chatted with missing sync and they gave me the following instructions below but they did not work for me. Good luck if you try. I tried and it wiped my address book on the Mac when I tried to do the third step (to export) but luckily I had backup.

INSTRUCTIONS from MARKSPACE SUPPORT
    1. Go to iCal and click the 'File' menu and choose 'Back up iCal'
    2. Now revert to the same database you just backed up, click on the 'File' menu and choose 'Restore iCal'
    3. Do the same process for Address Book click the 'File' menu and choose 'Export - Address Book Archive'
    4. Now revert to the same database you just backed up, click on the 'Import' menu and choose 'Address Book Archive'

Steps 1 through 4 are key to the process, they are not just a backup, but the revert part forces a reset of the relationship between Sync Services and iCal and Address Book.

5. Launch the iSync application, found in the /Applications/ folder. (iSync is not used for the sync, but iSync is where Apple handles Sync Services Preferences.)
    6. Click on the iSync menu
    7. Choose Preferences
    8. Click the 'Reset Sync History' button. Read and follow the onscreen directions.
    9. This may or may not launch iCal. When the reset process has begun the button will go grey, it is complete when the button becomes active again, but there is no need to re-click it.
    10. Restart the Mac

11. Open Missing Sync on the Mac, double click the contacts plugin and set it to overwrite on the next sync only.

Try the sync again.
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents, especially for those having problems with Missing Sync..

I'm on OS/X also, and I found that Spanning Sync (Spanning Sync - Sync iCal and Google Calendar) does a great job of syncing Address Book with Google Contacts, and iCal with Google Calendar.. (then, once in Google, all that stuff automatically shows up on the Pre within a few minutes)

Not affiliated with them or anything, I was just really impressed with how well it works..
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I'm on G4 Mac with Tiger (OS 10.4.11). I've had a Treo 700p for 3 years and have been using Palm Desktop. I got my Pre this week and was on the phone with Palm support for hours this weekend trying to migrate my calendar and contacts from Palm Desktop to my Pre. I had to export my calendar and contacts into iCal and the Mac Address Book, both of which I have never used in the past. Then I had to sync iCal and the Address Book with the Pre and Google calendars and contacts.

I don't believe that the Data Transfer Assistant from the Palm website works with Tiger. It was crashing while trying to export my calendar and contacts or it would export files which would not upload. Missing Sync looks great but it only works with Leopard.

Palm suggested Spanning Sync, which worked - for the most part. My calendar transferred cleanly. My contacts transfered except for my custom fields. The custom fields showed up when exported into Apple's Address Book, but they did not transfer to Google contacts. I read another thread on here where users experienced a similar problem. And it is a big problem because I store a lot of important reference data in those fields.

Does anyone have any advice or solutions in this matter?

Ted in L.A.
    I use a Mac (Leopard), and have had great luck with Missing Sync.

It worked out better than Palm's Data Transfer Tool. Like the previous poster, I used my Palm Treo and Desktop, and didn't use iCal or contacts. Following the instructions for the Data Transfer Tool, I exported the data out of my Palm desktop, and into the Mac's iCal and Contacts. Checking there, I see my data, and there are no obvious issues.

When I ran the Data Transfer Tool, I ended up with duplicate Calendar entrees (actually, four copies of each event, dozens a day, going back 10 years...). I'm not sure if the issue was the ammount of data involved, or bugs related to long events, repeats, etc.

Anyway, I'm about to try to delete my palm profile, and start again. Just worried about how this may impact software I've purchased (I actually bought Classic).

BTW- My Palm calendar in Classic/databook was working fine, at least until update 1.03.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    I can sync contacts fine but like others Calendar fails everytime.
    Corey

Current Devices: Palm Pre 2, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Focus and Apple's iPhone 4
    I haven't tried this yet, but want to synch my contacts (from Mac Contacts, not from Palm Desktop) to the Pre. I'd actually prefer not to synch the calendar, as the Mac Calendar has sort of been broken (in the sense of being cluttered with useless data) for a couple of years, and I haven't synched it to my Treo in that time. (If only the option to let the Treo overwrite the Mac had existed. . . )

Any advice, directions, warnings would be greatly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I use Leopard 10.5.7 and iCal and Address Book. I had a Treo 700p that i synced with Missing Sync for years, mostly without problems. I initially did the CalDAV to Google Calendars and then added the Google profile to the Pre. The data in Address Book and iCal went to Google Contacts and Google Calendar without a hitch. The data from Google went to the Pre without problem, except for Pre Calendar as I'll discuss. The Pre Contacts sync went without a hitch via Google Contacts.

Although the sync between Google Calendar and Pre Calendar went OK, I would get a 30-60 second lag for Pre Calendar to un-gray before showing the Day calendar. Every switch from day to day gave the same lag. This definitely wasn't acceptable. So I deleted the Google account and went back to an empty Contacts and Calendar database on the Pre.

So when Missing Sync for Pre came out I gave it a try based on good past results with Mac and the Treo 700p. Had no problems adding Missing Sync for Pre on my MacPro and the Pre. Had no problems syncing the Mac Address Book and iCal to the Pre using MS. I would still get some lag on Day views, but better than with Google sync. However, with additional syncs with MS the calendar would be constantly changing data on the Calendar even though I hadn't changed any data on either iCal or the Pre. I eventually figured out (by reading these forums) that a lot of "extra" data that the Datebook6 program on the Treo adds to each entry was synced over to iCal and therefore the Pre. This is what was causing the lag. So I went and deleted all iCal data prior to 60 days before, and limited MS to only add data from 30 days before to 12 months after in the MS calendar preferences.

That still didn't remove the Pre Calendar lag so I bit the bullet and re-entered all my appointments, etc in iCal, deleting out all the many-years-old appointments I had accumulated in the Treo and iCal.
    The I resynced iCal via MS to the Pre, having iCal overwrite the Pre in Calendar just for that sync. It went perfectly and now I only get about a 5 second initial lag in the Pre Calendar day view, and only bout 3 seconds on changing days. Much better and acceptable, if not perfect. There is almost no dalay in Week or Month views on the Pre.

One lesson is the old Treo 700p Datebook6 database is full of extraneous data that iCal doesn't care about but gets synced to the Pre, causing the Pre to choke on it. I still get problems with subsequent syncs with MS, but I assume that will be fixed by MS in an update.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    i have tried everything that all of you have mentioned and described above.
    I have ical on my laptop
    i have a google calendar account
    i have the palm pre
    google goes to palm, but the calendar visually sucks- no color coding etc

using spanning sync i can get ical into google calendars and then eventually into the pre, but again visually it does not help me stay organzed.

using missing sync I have tried every trick mentioned above. i have reloaded palm software and cleared and rebooted the isync software and and saved and exported and reverted and backed up the ical and attempted to sync using wifi and using usb and initiating from compiter and initiating from pre.
    missing sync as a program is working because i move some music from itunes with amzing ease.
    i thought about using the calssic program, but so many people have said that it causes additional problems that maybe it is not worth it.

I have even tried to purchase and download the Agendus program on handango. This is not easy with mac and it won't open directly to pre.

what is going on??
    why is the simplest thing so freakin' difficult?
    Also- why does my text message alert sound like there is a toddler throwing pans down the stairs?

I am thinking Happy Gilmore, hockey and my Palm Pre right about now...

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions??
    would publishing teh ical on me.com allow it to be an imported account to the pre calendar?

out of ideas and getting frustrated in san diego
    A
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    My contacts synced perfectly the first time but since then it won't work. My calendars never synced. When I read the error list, it said to check the conduit settings and try again. According to the condiut settings, I have no calendars to sync. It is blank. Any body else with this problem?
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    Thanks for writing. That's interesting. I can't get my contacts to Sync at all. I'm using theWiFi at a hotel, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. When I tried to create a Network on my Mac the Pre coouldn't see it which I didn't understand.
    The only Wi-Fi that Missing Sync works with is the Wi-Fi that your home computer is attached to. It will not sync with any other Wi-Fi.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I seemed to have lost a bunch of stuff in my Mac OS (Leopard) Address Book when I was playing with the new WebOS 1.2 vCard import/export feature. I went back to an old copy via Time Machine and that did not work either. Somehow Address Book is really screwed up.

The good news is that all of my contacts are in great shape on the Palm Pre in the Palm Profile. If I delete all the contacts in my MacOS Address Book will the Missing Sync restore all of my contacts from the Pre or will it blow away all the contacts on the Pre?

Any other ideas for restoring contacts from the Palm Profile back to the MacOS Address Book?
    I am a previous user of Missing Sync for the Palm. I have had Missing Sync for the Pre (Mac Platform) since its Beta release and presently have the latest paid version. Despite countless hours of correspondence with and carefully following the instructions of Mark Space technical support, I have never been able to fully synchronize either iCal or Address Book. Sometime the synchronization/overwrite fails at startup. Sometime it makes substantial progress. In all instances it eventually fails. Mark Space has been provided with verbose logs of these attempts.

The simple fact is Mark Space technical support ("support" is a misnomer) does not know what the problem is or how to fix it. Moreover, from reading these forums, it is clear that I am far from alone in suffering these issues. Given this, one has to ask why Palm is permitting this program to be sold through the App Store?
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderaz View Post
    I am a previous user of Missing Sync for the Palm. I have had Missing Sync for the Pre (Mac Platform) since its Beta release and presently have the latest paid version. Despite countless hours of correspondence with and carefully following the instructions of Mark Space technical support, I have never been able to fully synchronize either iCal or Address Book. Sometime the synchronization/overwrite fails at startup. Sometime it makes substantial progress. In all instances it eventually fails. Mark Space has been provided with verbose logs of these attempts.

The simple fact is Mark Space technical support ("support" is a misnomer) does not know what the problem is or how to fix it. Moreover, from reading these forums, it is clear that I am far from alone in suffering these issues. Given this, one has to ask why Palm is permitting this program to be sold through the App Store?
    Yes, I've had similar experience. Mark Space's tech support just doesn't get it. Or maybe they do.... they know Missing Sync for the Pre doesn't work. What a shame.
    When I got home I plugged my pre into my macbook pro and it asked me if I wanted to sync my contacts to it. I said Yes and sent them to gmail. everything my iphone had my pre now had. The generic contacts program on leapord worked fine for me at least.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Some of us (or at least me) don't want all our contact info on Google
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    Some of us (or at least me) don't want all our contact info on Google
    The nice thing about Google is that you can sync with a desktop contact manager and make regular backups. But if you are concerned about privacy that is a different issue.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast