Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Is there a direct sync option with the Palm Pre and Outlook 2003?

Reading various posts, many confusing feeds and details, option for Chapula and WiFi, but today's call to Level 2 at Sprint Tech, was told there is no supported sync for the Pre with Outlook on a desktop.

What I have today is a HTC 6700 that was gonna upgrade to a Touch Pro, when the Palm Pre came out. The 6700 drops in a craddle on my home desktop PC, which USB sync's it to my PC and my home Outlook 2003 system, plus charges the unit.

This sync updates the Contacts, the Calendar, the Notes, Tasks, and my personal Email, which is via a GoDaddy service and not from work, Exchange server, Google or Yahoo.

If my home PC is off, and I am out and about I get emails on my 6700. When I get home and start Outlook, it downloads them from the web and clears the web email cache. When I sync the 6700, the Pop3 remote email Inbox is cleared, my Outlook email box is updated with the messages, on to the 6700.

All this maybe common basic what people do...

So, how do I get the Pre to do the same thing, to sync up with my home desktop and Outlook? To do the same email syn and update, clearing the Pre's remote mail inbox and updating to the Outlook mail messages. To cross update the Contacts which normally I key/update on the PC not the 6700. To sync the Calendars, the Notes, the Tasks?

I do have a Linksys wireless router here at home with security enabled. I am curious about the charging docking station for the Pre. I DO WANT a cable option though to sync with if possible.

So... without a CD in the box, what in short is needed and how simple and automatic is sync'ing the Pre with a home desktop and Outlook with all the features?

Going to a 3rd party site like Google or Yahoo as some mention to updates and updates and sync and link and such, is not practical nor an option.

Curious... as was gonna use Father's Day angle to get the new Pocket PC but hear some dings on the Touch Pro, missing the video camera on the Pre, and now the simple Sync option is not there?

thanks!
    Frolin
    Chopula Pocket mirror works great with my Outlook 2007 and says it works w/2003. Go to this link: . . .(well they didn't allow me to post a link, so google "pocket mirror for pre")
    You download the desktop component into your computer and pocket mirror into your phone. Syncs over WiFi. I have had no problems. And so far, its free.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    i use it with 2003 it works great although no sync for notes and tasks, but there will be a solution too many business users still use 2003, for a basic calendar/contact chapula is not a bad solution. eventually im sure they will have an all around sync that is automatic.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    OK, as I am reading this, Chapula syncs the Email, Contacts and Calendar between the Palm Pre and Outlook 2003 or 2007, but does not sync the notes? Odd they skipped Notes and Tasks, in the Outlook suite.

I've got various things in Notes, might have to look for options but having them sync'd means updating on the desktop PC updates the phone files. No sync, well, a manual file copy over of some other method.

Odd that Pre or Sprint comes with no software but expects you to go elsewhere to find it.

Frolin
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    PocketMirror only syncs contacts and calendars. No email. I suspect that this is partly because the app isn't done yet, and partly because it's going to be a pay app and right now the store is free apps only.

I'm looking forward to the complete version coming out and figure I can wait for full sync. Right now I can get by with the Pre checking email via POP3 and not being synced for email. The calendar and contacts were really the most critical items.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Oh, also, PocketMirror only syncs the default Calendar and Contacts folders. If you have multiple calendars, the additional calendars do not get synced.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    J, thanks for the reply and updates! So this further tells me that, at least with Chapula PocketMirror, I will not have a sync of my MS-Outlook email at all.

And worse, with the Calendar and Contacts, it does not get all folders and sub-areas, either, so this is not a complete sync and link.

Boy - more and more, can't Sync the Palm Pre with Outlook on a desktop, to get all features linked and updated back and forth. Dang, I really liked the Pre, but it won't do it today with Outlook directly and for all features it seems.
    Anyone know if this sync's over wifi only on the LAN or also on WAN?