1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

I know i'm late on this but I actually still do not have the Pre but I was just fixing up my contacts in gmail in anticipation for it.

Now, the main concern seemed to be that it syncs "All Contacts" instead of "My contracts'

I wasn't in terrible shape as My Contacts had about 135 people, with a bit over 300 in All contacts.

However, here is a quick hint if you have yet to sync Google with the Pre. What I did was after I updated My Contacts, I exported them in CSV format to my desktop.

I then deleted ALL contacts so there was nothing in Google. I then imported the CSV file to My contacts...and bam...only my contacts are in my Google.

So i'm all set for when I pick up the Pre. Note this works better for me as my gmail is really only used for people I know or job related emails....my AOL mail is my junk/bills email box. And my Hotmail/Yahoo is my spam email box.

Hopefully this helps at least one person.
    Dont your contacts begin getting cluttered again though, as soon as you start replying to people and emailing people?? Please advise.
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandocano View Post
    Dont your contacts begin getting cluttered again though, as soon as you start replying to people and emailing people?? Please advise.
    yep
    At first I didn't like it, but it is actually nice to get all the junk "contacts" when using your push email.

With type-to-search, I have 1200+ contacts and it doesn't really bother me.
  5.    #5  
    Depends who you are emailing.

As I said, I really only email people from my Gmail if they are on my contact list. It's also the contact email for my resume.

So this won't really be a very bad issue for me.

BUT...even then....here is another idea.

Create a new GMail ONLY for contact sync. Import your contacts from your primary account.

You now have your contacts that won't be effected with who you email on your main account.
    Quote Originally Posted by gu12u7 View Post
    yep
    Nope, there is a way in gmail to NOT update your contact list with every email address that is going through email. Does that make sense? I can't remember where I saw the setting, but do remember seeing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Depends who you are emailing.

As I said, I really only email people from my Gmail if they are on my contact list. It's also the contact email for my resume.

So this won't really be a very bad issue for me.

BUT...even then....here is another idea.

Create a new GMail ONLY for contact sync. Import your contacts from your primary account.

You now have your contacts that won't be effected with who you email on your main account.
    This is exactly what I've done.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Maybe if I post this in enough threads people will see it.

I've posted this on a few threads over the past couple of weeks (4 in the last 15 minutes) .... Not trying to flood the board, just trying to get the workaround to people who might want it.

I wrote up a work around for the Google Contacts problem that limits syncing to the "My Contacts" group. I posted it in the Pre forum on launch day. You can probably find it by searching for Nuevasync.

Here's a link to the same info on my blog: Palm Pre Clean Google Contacts Workaround

Should only take you a few minutes to implement.
    Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus View Post
    At first I didn't like it, but it is actually nice to get all the junk "contacts" when using your push email.

With type-to-search, I have 1200+ contacts and it doesn't really bother me.
    The pre DOES NOT have push email, just an FYI. It support IMAP IDLE which is entirely different than push, though for the user functions very similarly.