Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I have my Pre connected to exchange with server-side rules for putting messages into specific folders. This is syncing well with the pre, but i was wondering if there was any way to have the Pre show when there were unread messages in these subfolders similar to how it does in outlook with a bolded folder name or the number like the pre does for the inbox.
    The Pre isn't currently checking subfolders automatically (on whatever schedule you have that acc't to check) for e-mail acc'ts. (I use IMAP and it doesn't work with that, either, which is annoying because I need to keep my server-side filters on or things would just be too confusing with all messages all in the Inbox.) It is only checking the top-level Inbox folder. You have to go into the subfolders, where it automatically checks the server as soon as you enter the folder, in order for the Pre to check for messages there.

On folders is does check automatically (only the Inbox folders right now) or on folders it has checked but you've left messages unread, it will indeed show the number of unread messages in the e-mail home screen.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the upcoming update!
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Hi there,

I just got my pre a week ago, but I haven't figured out how to get it to sync the subfolders (for which I have rules set up to organize new emails.) I don't mind going into the folders and looking for the mail, I just want to get it.

Would anyone be able to provide instructions on how to sync old and new mail in the subfolders? I tried going into the subfolders and refreshing for new mail, but nothing is showing up.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreale View Post
    Hi there,

I just got my pre a week ago, but I haven't figured out how to get it to sync the subfolders (for which I have rules set up to organize new emails.) I don't mind going into the folders and looking for the mail, I just want to get it.

Would anyone be able to provide instructions on how to sync old and new mail in the subfolders? I tried going into the subfolders and refreshing for new mail, but nothing is showing up.

Thanks!
    Like Bag of Leaves said, the Pre doesn't sync subfolders automatically at this point - you have to manually tap them before the Pre will download the messages. In order to set this up, you need the right type of email account. What type of email server are you on? Exchange? IMAP? POP?
    My company is all BlackBerry now so I no longer use Exchange on my phone.

But for some mysterious reason, the sub-folder issue exists on all non-WM devices, which makes me suspect licensing issues/cost.

What I've done in the past, is use smart folders instead of sub-folders. Messages still all go to the inbox, but your smart folders group messages based on the same rules you'd use for sub-folders when you view them. They just don't move messages out of the inbox when creating the view for you.

Then on the device you see the same inbox as you would on your desktop. It's not great but at least you'll always see all messages on the device.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    But for some mysterious reason, the sub-folder issue exists on all non-WM devices, which makes me suspect licensing issues/cost.
    (Sorry, haven't gotten on this board in a while.)

My subfolders on the same acc'ts worked for auto syncing on my Centro (Palm OS). It alerted to new mail in them as well as new mail in the Inbox.