Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I won't even get into the features that I feel SHOULD be there (like mark all as read, quick email keyword searching, etc.)

But the way its set up right now is simply unacceptable. It is way too buggy.

Like for instance, I was using my phone last night. Then i went to bed at 12:30am.

When I woke up this morning, I had no emails from 12:30am till about a 7:20am email, along with two more after that. I received 14 emails inbetween that are sitting in my inbox on the exchange server. Never got synced to the device.

Then occasionally when I read emails on the device (and mark it as read)... if say 20-30 minutes down the road I eventually lose service temporarially (like going underground)... when I get service back those emails come back up as new again.

In this particular case, I can't even delete those emails from 7:20am and 7:30am. When I go to delete them on the device, they come back 5 minutes later as new! So I went to the server and deleted them off the server. Then I deleted them off the device. Well guess what... they still come back on the device!

Still no word on my emails from 12:30 to 7:20am. I am also missing some emails from 7:20am onward. Only have about half of them.

I sure hope Palm is planning on fixing this. And fast. And I am the exchange administrator! It's definitely not my server as every single other smartphone in the world works perfectly on it.

I dont think it's my device either because my wife's Pre was doing the same thing (when I synced my mailbox to hers as well).

With that said, I also sync a second exchange account on a different server and have no problem with that one. But the one that I am having a problem with is an Exchange 2003 server and the one that works fine is Exchange 2007. I wonder if that is making a difference.

I will probably call Palm today about this. I could reset the device (again)... but come on. The last time I did that it didn't even help. I eventually got it working again by physically moving my exchange mailbox from one server to another. That is not a fix!

I love this device otherwise. Palm: FIX THIS!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
    It's definitely not my server as every single other smartphone in the world works perfectly on it.

I dont think it's my device either because my wife's Pre was doing the same thing (when I synced my mailbox to hers as well).

With that said, I also sync a second exchange account on a different server and have no problem with that one. But the one that I am having a problem with is an Exchange 2003 server and the one that works fine is Exchange 2007. I wonder if that is making a difference.
    I've not heard of this issue before, but I'd say you still have some trouble-shooting to do. It would appear that you've jumped to some conclusions...

You're having trouble with your Pre to your server, and your account.

You said it's not "the device" because you used another Pre with your account, and it did the same thing. That eliminates the particular Pre, but leaves the possibility of a bug. It also leaves the possibility of your account and/or your server, since that is still a constant.

Then you threw in that another server works fine. That still leaves the possibility of your server and/or your account. While it could be valid that it's a problem with Exchange 2003, it still leaves the possiblity of problems with your account or your server.

Is your server completely patched, both the OS and Exchange server? That's where I would look first.
    I won't even get into the features that I feel SHOULD be there (like mark all as read, quick email keyword searching, etc.)

But the way its set up right now is simply unacceptable. It is way too buggy.

I was wondering if you could elaborate on the things it's missing. I see bits and pieces on different postings, but I would like your perspective in a single list.
    I am still using my highly tweaked 800w waiting for many of the Pre issues to be fixed.

That said, I used to Admin our Exchange and decided to go with a hosted exchange service 2 years ago. We were there through the transition from 2003 to 2007. One thing I noticed with my mobile device (an HTC Touch at the time), was that I needed to load certs (3) each time I hard reset the phone with 2003. Once we moved to 2007 I no longer needed to load the certs.

Now, when you think about it, the Pre is the only device that I know of (don't know or care about any AT&T products) that allows 2 Exchange accounts. I'm not surprised that you're having issues using 2 different versions of Exchange. If Sprint has any info regarding a fix on this, please share it here. I'm sure it could be helpful for a number of users.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I'm having a similar issue with nighttime emails not appearing on the phone. I've got one Exchange account set up, although I get the majority of my emails through other accounts that exhibit the same problem. Do you use "as items arrive"? I'm on one hours syncs and I wonder if there's a sleep mode that the phone goes into while charging at night.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jabo View Post
    I was wondering if you could elaborate on the things it's missing. I see bits and pieces on different postings, but I would like your perspective in a single list.
    I am still using my highly tweaked 800w waiting for many of the Pre issues to be fixed.

The main thing I would like to see is some sort of quick keyword search. On my 800w when I have my inbox open... I could type in "Sanchez" and see all my emails that were either from Sanchez or with Sanchez in the title. Incredibly useful when I keep a month's worth of emails on the device.

A "mark all as read" is a must. Sometimes I get a few hundred emails come in. Do I really have to click each item on the device to mark it as read?

I also find having to scroll down emails to get to an email say 7 days ago takes forever. Is there a shortcut to skip days when scrolling down emails?

A "today screen" with my day's calendar entries would be nice, but I am sure they will release an app for that.

Those are my initial thoughts.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I've not heard of this issue before, but I'd say you still have some trouble-shooting to do. It would appear that you've jumped to some conclusions...

You're having trouble with your Pre to your server, and your account.

You said it's not "the device" because you used another Pre with your account, and it did the same thing. That eliminates the particular Pre, but leaves the possibility of a bug. It also leaves the possibility of your account and/or your server, since that is still a constant.

Then you threw in that another server works fine. That still leaves the possibility of your server and/or your account. While it could be valid that it's a problem with Exchange 2003, it still leaves the possiblity of problems with your account or your server.

Is your server completely patched, both the OS and Exchange server? That's where I would look first.

I just spent 7 hours on the phone with an Exchange Expert from Microsoft. We went up and down my configuration, totally wiped out the IIS configuration on my exchange server, applied an ActiveSync hotfix that is not even available to the public. Still no go with this.

I even created a brand new user account. The new user account worked fine for a few hours, but then it stopped pushing email as items arrived (had to manually sync with email opened). Then it stopped sending my emails after 12:02PM today and I have gotten nothing since.

Microsoft engineer has no idea. He is saying nothing is wrong since he can sync my account with just about every other mobile device out there. And he is right. The only consolation is my Pre works on my Exchange 2007 test server. But that doesn't help me right now.

Ugh
    I just spent 7 hours on the phone with an Exchange Expert from Microsoft.
    Ugh
    I've begun to hear other reports about the settings in the Calendar work times interfering with mail delivery. I've no way to confirm that though. You might want to look at that.

Sorry can't be of more help, my setup is too different from yours.
  8.    #8  
    I am still on the phone with them. We currently use a Network Solutions SSL certificate. I am thinking of removing it and trying a GoDaddy... as I know the GoDaddy works on my Exch2007 box.

But I am still on the phone with the Microsoft Engineer. He is blaming the device. I dont think I am going to get much further with him.
    We're having the same issues. No emails push to the phones from after 5 PM, no matter what we try. On a hunch, I changed the calendar times on one of the phones at 6 PM yesterday, at which point it pulled over all the emails from 5 PM - 6 PM. However, it was temporary, as the phone didn't pull data again until this morning even after I made a day be 12 AM to 12 AM in the calendar. Even a manual sync won't seem to grab the emails during that evening period. All 6 of our Pre's are doing this, and no other Activesync device has a problem. Now, to boot, no calendars or contacts are syncing. After a week of this, I throw in the towel, will wait to see what Palm does to rectify the issues, as I know it's not our server or certificate that is the issue. In the meantime, unfortunately, a bunch of our users are left with a wonderful, shiny new toy which is useless for business.
  10.    #10  
    Finally somebody else with the same issue.

Question for you. What brand cert are you using? We were using Network Solutions SSL cert. I am just trying a GoDaddy cert now... but I don't anticipate it working. We'll see.
  11.    #11  
    So I had an activesync hotfix installed, a store.exe hotfix installed, and changed my SSL cert. No go.

Hey GreenOctober: are you on a front end/back end configuration. Or just stand alone SBS?

I wonder how many people here are running exchange 2003 with SSL, but also on a front end/back end setup.
    DJpill:
    Just wondering whether or not you use SharePoint.
    The reason I ask is on my 800W, sometimes when I get a SharePoint notification, my email will not sync until I delete the notification from the device. It only happens on about 1 out of 30 or so notifications, so I have not tried to chase it down.

Possibly related (not sure, but figure I'll toss it out there), an issue I had with a 700p that I helped a frined with:
    When synching the calendar, sometimes appointments that span multiple days can jack with your sync. The problem is that once it sticks in the sync conduit, it will gum up all synchronization without physical evidence. This should not be happening in this case but, since this is a brand new OS (I don't care if it is Linux), you never know.

Green October, excess6: What Flavor of Exchange are you using?
    I think to increase the usefulness of this thread, anyone contributing here should at least report back:
    1) What version of Exchange they are using
    2) If they are synching multiple accounts
    3) What certs they are using (if known)

I've played with the certs before when troubleshooting an issue with SBS 2003 and some Treo 700WXs, my .02 is that if your Network Solutions cert isn't working, the Go Daddy one won't either.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenOctober View Post
    We're having the same issues. No emails push to the phones from after 5 PM, no matter what we try. On a hunch, I changed the calendar times on one of the phones at 6 PM yesterday, at which point it pulled over all the emails from 5 PM - 6 PM. However, it was temporary, as the phone didn't pull data again until this morning even after I made a day be 12 AM to 12 AM in the calendar. Even a manual sync won't seem to grab the emails during that evening period. All 6 of our Pre's are doing this, and no other Activesync device has a problem. Now, to boot, no calendars or contacts are syncing. After a week of this, I throw in the towel, will wait to see what Palm does to rectify the issues, as I know it's not our server or certificate that is the issue. In the meantime, unfortunately, a bunch of our users are left with a wonderful, shiny new toy which is useless for business.
    Just for grins, I'd go to the Calendar app on the Pre, remove the EAS server as an account, then add it back.
    Tried that, trust me, I've tried everything I can thing of. I gave up, am using a third party app to sync contacts and calendar for now.

We're running Exchange 2003 with SP2 installed. Cert is from GoDaddy (EV), set up just the way it should be. Users affected are only trying to sync one account. With the issues I've had, I don't dare try to even attempt to also pull the admin account into my phone on top of my normal work email.

A little update, after tweaking things today, we were able to get the phones to work with SSL enabled on the server by installing the root cert on all of them. Before, if we enabled SSL, the phones would poll the Outbox only. Email is working perfectly now, no more of the mystery no emails after 5 PM deal, at least tonight. However, calendars and contacts still are not working. Frustrating, because the calendar was working earlier in the week (though email wasn't). I'll leave it to our other network engineer to try and resolve, as vacation calls. Hopefully Palm has enough data from everyone at this point to try and fix some of these issues. Out of the six users, two have already given up and gone back to their Blackberry's.
    One thing I noticed with my mobile device (an HTC Touch at the time), was that I needed to load certs (3) each time I hard reset the phone with 2003. Once we moved to 2007 I no longer needed to load the certs.
    sounds like your admin finally got serious with best practices and got a proper public cert for Exchange 2007, rather than the self-generated certs you had to keep manually installing prior. for any company with more than 10 phones in their fleet, who would want to chase around all those phones making sure a self-generated cert was properly imported?
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    One thing I noticed with my mobile device (an HTC Touch at the time), was that I needed to load certs (3) each time I hard reset the phone with 2003. Once we moved to 2007 I no longer needed to load the certs.
    sounds like your admin finally got serious with best practices and got a proper public cert for Exchange 2007, rather than the self-generated certs you had to keep manually installing prior. any company with more than 10 phones in their fleet, who would want to chase around all those phones making sure a self-generated cert was properly imported?
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    Quote Originally Posted by odditory View Post
    sounds like your admin finally got serious with best practices and got a proper public cert for Exchange 2007, rather than the self-generated certs you had to keep manually installing prior. any company with more than 10 phones in their fleet, who would want to chase around all those phones making sure a self-generated cert was properly imported?
    Believe it or not, that was from The Message Center Hosted Exchange, Hosted CRM Hosted SharePoint, Hosted Zimbra. They are a hosted Exchange, Blackberry and Goodlink provider.

The reason I had gone with them was that they were highly recommended by several people and I was getting tired of administering exchange. I can say they have been fabulous! I would highly recommend them. Their Uptime ,even through the migration from 2003 to 2007 has been incredible. Tech support, some of the best ever.

I know the cert thing was a bit odd, but I chalked it up to 2003 and possibly the requirements of BIS or Goodlink (I know nothing about them since we never supported them).
    All I know is I took 2 years and still could not get EAS to work on our 2003 SBS box both with self-signed and then a public cert. Once we moved over, the 3 cert install was fine by me because EAS actually worked!
    i have a public cert and get the time/date error.. very frustrating!!! right now i forward all exchagne emails to a gmail account.. but not the solution i want

this sucks. non-ssl update better come out..
    I have a mailstreet.com hosted account. I had blackberry service before the pre. I called their support and they told me i needed to add active sync and it would work. I added the active sync service and everything is working great, no issues at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenOctober View Post
    A little update, after tweaking things today, we were able to get the phones to work with SSL enabled on the server by installing the root cert on all of them. Before, if we enabled SSL, the phones would poll the Outbox only. Email is working perfectly now, no more of the mystery no emails after 5 PM deal, at least tonight. However, calendars and contacts still are not working. Frustrating, because the calendar was working earlier in the week (though email wasn't). I'll leave it to our other network engineer to try and resolve, as vacation calls. Hopefully Palm has enough data from everyone at this point to try and fix some of these issues. Out of the six users, two have already given up and gone back to their Blackberry's.
    I guess I'm a little lost on the root cert part, that should have been the first thing tried.

If you have not deleted the account from your calender after getting EAS to work, then you will have to delete it and re-add it. I've seen that happen a number of times, and that's what it sounds like on yours.

At any rate, glad to hear you guys got it going.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast