1.    #1  
    Hey,

Everytime I email someone random, such as someone from craiglist, it gets added to my pre and messes up my nice and neat and clean contacts. I understand this is a gmail thing BUT how do i stop gmail from adding everyone I email once to my contacts? I cant figure it out?

How do i stop this?
    You can't right now
    What I did was removed my gmail account from Contacts. Go to Contacts > Preferences > click on your gmail account then delete. This will result in ALL your contacts that were imported from gmail to be deleted from the Pre. I have my main email contacts addresses already under the contact profile (imported from previous phone contacts)- so they are not linked to gmail.

But if you wanted to keep the gmail contact sync but turn it off for select user actions (reply), no clue.
    Okay, I know I'm not going crazy.... There was an option in settings that allowed me to disable auto-adding email addresses of anyone I replied to.

I can't find the setting, but the functionality is still there. I can email (new) or reply to an address not in my contacts and they are NOT added to my contact list.

I gotta search around so more and see if I can find an answer to the disappearing option. I could have been drunk that night... but the functionality is there, so who knows...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonatepaint View Post
    Okay, I know I'm not going crazy.... There was an option in settings that allowed me to disable auto-adding email addresses of anyone I replied to.

I can't find the setting, but the functionality is still there. I can email (new) or reply to an address not in my contacts and they are NOT added to my contact list.

I gotta search around so more and see if I can find an answer to the disappearing option. I could have been drunk that night... but the functionality is there, so who knows...

i will forever be in your debt if you can find this
    Agreed, this is driving me nuts!
    Mine is not adding addresses automatically, but it may be because I am using google contacts only, and my e-mail is not gmail, but yahoo.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    While we're on this topic, has anyone tried to sync to another email account on Outlook after setting up their gmail account? The contacts don't get sync'd do they? Meaning, my Outlook contacts won't get sync'd with my gmail contacts?
    Going into the Preferences/Settings while in Contacts and then removing Gmail will stop your Contacts on your Pre from getting changed.

Gmail does not have a setting to stop it from adding mail recipients from your All Contacts. I had 128 contacts in there that I never added or even wanted added to a list. So I deleted them all in Gmail for good measure, added the Gmail email to my Pre, and then had to go into Contacts on my Pre and remove the pointer to Gmail.

All is well and I only have links to Outlook and Palm (which you cannot delete) in my Contacts. The Palm link is there probably to do the backup thingy.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Hey,

Everytime I email someone random, such as someone from craiglist, it gets added to my pre and messes up my nice and neat and clean contacts. I understand this is a gmail thing BUT how do i stop gmail from adding everyone I email once to my contacts? I cant figure it out?

How do i stop this?
    I feel your pain. Here's a workaround I came up with. I've been using this since the day the Pre was released.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1643718

Once Palm fixes the problem in a future firmware update, I'll probably just remove the NuevaSync Synergy profile and reenable the direct contact syncing with Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonatepaint View Post

i thought that feature was in gmail itself online. ppl you send an email to are assumed to be safe so get added to your contacts online in gmail.
    This is a GMail problem, not a Pre/Synergy problem. GMail automatically adds any outgoing email address to "All contacts". Which is dumb. The only way to fix would be for GMail to stop doing that, or to have Synergy let you select which Contacts list you want (In this case you want "My contacts" instead of "All contacts").
    Question is why in the heck did they ever choose to sync All Contacts instead of My Contacts in the first place. Makes absolutely no sense.
    If you search google w/the phrase "prevent Gmail from automatically adding contacts", you'll find a handful of blog posts that discuss Google addressing this (back in July of 2008). Google acknowledged the problem and introduced a feature called "Suggested Contacts"....

I honestly don't remember this functionality and it no longer appears to be the case.

There was a short period of time when the option to NOT auto-add contacts was a setting in my Gmail account. As I mentioned, it's no longer there....

But regardless of which way I send an email (from Apple Mail, from Gmail Web, etc), these new email addresses are NOT added as a contact.

I'm certain Google makes functionality available and then takes it away. I may have gotten lucky and flipped the switch before they took it away.
    If you have your gmail sync'd as your email profile but not as your contacts profile will this still dump your gmail contacts into your phone?

I set up a second gmail account that I sent only the contacts I want on my phone. Now if I sync that account with my contacts and my regular gmail account with my email will that keep everything seperate? Plus this would keep a clean calendar and contacts backup on my new gmail account.

-Svence
    I set up a seperate gmail account just for Palm Pre contacts.

I exported "My Contacts" from my primary gmail account and imported into the gmail account just for use for Palm Pre contacts. Works, but I would rather use my main gmail account and just sync to 'MY CONTACTS'.

Quote Originally Posted by csvencer View Post
    If you have your gmail sync'd as your email profile but not as your contacts profile will this still dump your gmail contacts into your phone?

I set up a second gmail account that I sent only the contacts I want on my phone. Now if I sync that account with my contacts and my regular gmail account with my email will that keep everything seperate? Plus this would keep a clean calendar and contacts backup on my new gmail account.

-Svence
    Contacts stay separate from email and contacts on the Pre.

GMail Account 1 for Mail & Calendar
    GMail Account 2 for Contacts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    That sounds like and interesting and great solution for some...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    That sounds like and interesting and great solution for some...
    Yea, but like stated shouldn't have to create another gmail account just for that.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    I am reeeeally hoping that there will be an update that fixes this. I agree that the Pre should only pick up contacts that you place in the "My Contacts" folder. Seems like common sense to me.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    Yea, but like stated shouldn't have to create another gmail account just for that.
    No you shouldn't have to I agree. But it's a workaround until it gets fixed.