1.    #1  
    First, let me say in general I love the Pre. My biggest gripe is a series of bugs in Synergy which seem hard to fathom given how heavily marketed a feature it is. I've found several glaring problems which I'm astounded ever survived BASIC QA testing!

1) EAS flags don't always sync correctly with SBS2008/Exchange 2007
    2) Google calendar events scheduled on Pre don't always make it back to Google without manual syncs.
    3) Subfolders don't sync (not a glitch...a missing feature and a big one at that for those of us with server-side rules)
    4) Facebook doesn't update; I only got Facebook to synergize when I set it up but friends added later have yet to make it back to the Pre.
    5) some Facebook pictures and a few contacts didn't sync.

Am I the only one in love with the idea of Synergy but slightly disappointed with the implementation? I know a few of these have been mentioned in various posts...

I'm hopeful that Palm will fix these problem shortly
    Last edited by Conqueror; 06/15/2009 at 11:58 PM.
    I've run into some synergy snags mainly with google contacts sync but I'm also hopeful that they will be resolved with updates. The idea of synergy and the web experience on the phone are the 2 biggest things that attracted me to this phone.
    I have no experience with others, but about point #2, yes, I haven't figure out the mechanism yet, but i dont think its "instant sync". Its good enough for me since I rarely use googe calendar on my computer after all, but i can see that being a problem for some.

I find the calendar app is generally slow. and should be improved from many aspects, if possible.

I do think synergy (email/IM/phone/Msg) does great work for me, since I really am not a facebook heavy user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
    5) some Facebook pictures and a few contacts didn't sync.

I had a simaliar problem. About ten of my CLOSE friends (who knows how many miss synced that I don't talk to) didn't sync. Those contacts were probably linked to the wrong contact, which is what happened to me. You just have to look around for their profiles liniked to someone close to them. Example: My Fiance was linked to my sister page, my friend to his girlfriends...

Good Will Hunting!!!
    I think Synergy's at this point is a pretty decent initial implementation, but I'm certainly looking forward to improvements. Ultimately, I'm happy to have the Pre even in its current incarnation, and wouldn't have wanted to wait until August for every kind to have been worked out.

It's all growing pains to me, and as an early adopter, I suppose I'm doing just that: adopting.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I've experienced all these bugs but the first...however I'd rather deal with them now and wait for a WebOS update than still be sitting on my Rumor waiting for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Every time I change something I have also had to do a manual sync to get it to work. I'm sure it would have synced eventually but I am just too impatient.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by brotato View Post
    Every time I change something I have also had to do a manual sync to get it to work. I'm sure it would have synced eventually but I am just too impatient.
    I'm can't figure this behavior out; if the data is added to the PRE, why can't it just immediately initiate a synch back to Google? I can imagine if the data is added to the Google, it might take time to sync back to the PRE (assuming Google isn't using Palm's new Push notification server service...the one that Palm Backup uses), but I have the opposite problem!!!
    Whatever happened to the feature that was made such a big deal of in the build-up to release. Remember, the Pre was going to integrate the GPS, the Calendar, and the address book, and tell you if you were running late to an appointment? Wasn't it even going to offer to place a call for you?

This level of integration is nowhere in sight of the current Pre.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I just came across the same problem. For some reason, my wife's cell phone number is listed as mine and vice versa.

I'm 'de-syncing' my Facebook contacts with my Pre. I'm wondering if I should start from scratch and re-load all my contacts just in case there's more mix-ups.
    DaleDC
    I agree with meyerweb...this level of integration has been totally misrepresented! I understand the necessary push to get this product out and that we are the guinea pigs so to speak...but there are a lot of simple functionalites that have been overlooked.

I just hope they push out updates sooner than later to correct these. I WANT TO LOVE the phone...but it is starting to get to the point that I am making excuses for it in order to maintain our relationship!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hadesATL View Post
    I agree with meyerweb...this level of integration has been totally misrepresented! I understand the necessary push to get this product out and that we are the guinea pigs so to speak...but there are a lot of simple functionalites that have been overlooked.

I just hope they push out updates sooner than later to correct these. I WANT TO LOVE the phone...but it is starting to get to the point that I am making excuses for it in order to maintain our relationship!
    The GPS integrated with Calendar thing was something Roger MacNamee of Elevation mentioned; it wasn't something that came out of Palm.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
    I'm can't figure this behavior out; if the data is added to the PRE, why can't it just immediately initiate a synch back to Google? ....
    I'm not aware of exactly what's going on with the pre- but this is actually a pretty common way in genreal to manipulate data in a bandwidth friendly manner and specifically to implement OTA sync.

For example I know that Good Mobile Messaging will also "bundle" changes and wait till it hits a critical mass or a certain period of time has passed from the first change before it uploads to the mother ship. The reason they explain is- by sending a single slug instead of a handfull of smaller chunkcs is more bandwitdth AND BATTERY efficient then to send each little change at a time.

Palm might need to tweak their rules for when "enough time" has passed to stop waiting for more changes, but i dont think it would be wise with current battery technology to have it instantly connect and upload each change by itself.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    My concern in terms of Synergy is the lack of continuity between the contacts, calendar and email. To compose an email and not have the ability to attach a contact record is very frustrating. Not to be able to schedule an appointment through a contact record is a shortcoming, as well. I have not been able to figure out how to copy an address from Google Maps and paste to an email as stated in the "Multitasking" article on this site. It doesn't work. The body text of received emails cannot be selected for copy. Lots to improve on this phone.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwasser View Post
    My concern in terms of Synergy is the lack of continuity between the contacts, calendar and email. To compose an email and not have the ability to attach a contact record is very frustrating. Not to be able to schedule an appointment through a contact record is a shortcoming, as well. I have not been able to figure out how to copy an address from Google Maps and paste to an email as stated in the "Multitasking" article on this site. It doesn't work. The body text of received emails cannot be selected for copy. Lots to improve on this phone.
    WRT your last point, a short-term workaround is to hit reply or forward. THEN, you can copy the test of the email after which you can discard the new email.

Admittedly, it's ridiculous you need to do it this way. Moreover, while a big PRE fan, I must say the method for copying and pasting as well as that for manipulating the cursor is pretty obscure. I think iPhone 3.0 has a much more elegant solution for both. Hopefully Palm will follow suit.