Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Synthe's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have EAS set up to connect to two Exchange servers, my workplace and my home. Both work fine, but it seems like I only get a new mail notification if it goes to my default inbox, instead of getting sorted by server-based rule into one of the other folders I have defined. I do have the folders I care about "starred" so that they are my favorites. If I go to one of those folders, it syncs the folder and then I can see the new mail.

    Is there some setting I need to enable either server-side or client-side to have it push out new mail on other folders, or is this some architectural design of Exchange ActiveSync that I was unaware of?
  2. #2  
    I too have rules set up to distribute email to various folders on my system. Just as you, I do not get "new mail notifications" when those emails come in. I get the emails, but I do not get notifications.

    I think this is a limitation of Exchange rather than the Pre. I've noticed that when I have OWA (Outlook Web Access) open, I get new mail notifications only on the Inbox as well.
  3. NetHero's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    #3  
    hparsons, I am trying to get my sub-folders under Inbox sync'd up automatically but I am not even getting the e-mails for those folders unless I open those folders and then the Phone will try to retrieve any new e-mails. How were you able to get the e-mails for the sub-folders? Appreciate your help.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by NetHero View Post
    hparsons, I am trying to get my sub-folders under Inbox sync'd up automatically but I am not even getting the e-mails for those folders unless I open those folders and then the Phone will try to retrieve any new e-mails. How were you able to get the e-mails for the sub-folders? Appreciate your help.
    Mine is working the same way as yours. When I open the folders, it retrieves the email then. Sorry if my response seems to imply differently.

    I suspect that this is one of those "working as designed" features. A mobile device is obviously more limited in storage space than a PC. I suspect that the Pre is supposed to only "watch" the "Inbox".

    Doing some quick searchines, i've found that this is a common problem, not only for the Pre, but the iPhone and other devices (including OWA). I've heard some work arounds on the notifications, and will probably look into those later this evening. I'll post what I find when I do.
  5. NetHero's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    #5  
    Thanks... I will keep looking as well. That's the only feature that I miss on Pre from my old phone (Touch).
  6. #6  
    I had a Treo 700wx with Goodlink installed and it DID notfiy me of new emails that were filtered based on server-side rules. The contecnts of the email weren't automatically sent ot my phone, but when I opened the email from the subfolder it would download the content. I was fine with this. I just needed to know that the emails were THERE and what the subject was, adn then I could decide whether to download or not. Any idea why the Pre can't accomplish this?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Mine is working the same way as yours. When I open the folders, it retrieves the email then. Sorry if my response seems to imply differently.

    I suspect that this is one of those "working as designed" features. A mobile device is obviously more limited in storage space than a PC. I suspect that the Pre is supposed to only "watch" the "Inbox".
    It's definitely by design. Even Windows Mobile devices behave this way, and come to think of it even Blackberry isn't the greatest in handling subfolders even with BES. Many people just use their Inbox subfolders as filing cabinets/glorified trashcans, so rather than downloading and prepopulating EVERY subfolder yet the user may never enter some or any of them, it seems pretty smart to populate only the folders the user shows an interest in by entering them once.
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy745 View Post
    I had a Treo 700wx with Goodlink installed and it DID notfiy me of new emails that were filtered based on server-side rules. The contecnts of the email weren't automatically sent ot my phone, but when I opened the email from the subfolder it would download the content. I was fine with this. I just needed to know that the emails were THERE and what the subject was, adn then I could decide whether to download or not. Any idea why the Pre can't accomplish this?
    Count me in as this being a good feature to add in the future. I understand why it's doing it the way it is now, and it's by design, but I think this sounds like a good way to do it. Download the headers, notify me there's an e-mail there, but don't download until I open the e-mail. In fact, that's how I ideally want all my e-mail to work, but I'm ok that it downloads the full messages in the Inbox, it doesn't bother me.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by odditory View Post
    It's definitely by design. Even Windows Mobile devices behave this way, and come to think of it even Blackberry isn't the greatest in handling subfolders even with BES. Many people just use their Inbox subfolders as filing cabinets/glorified trashcans, so rather than downloading and prepopulating EVERY subfolder yet the user may never enter some or any of them, it seems pretty smart to populate only the folders the user shows an interest in by entering them once.
    My 800W gave me the option to pick which subfolders were downloaded from the server. Using Exchange 2003. I love my pre, but have had to delete a bunch of mail rules.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions