Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I need a recommendation!
    I want to transfer my Palm Desktop calendar to my Pre. And, I understand the only way to access this calendar both on my Pre and on a PC, is to use the google calendar in my gmail account.

1)Is that correct?

2) What's the best way to get my Palm Desktop calendar into google calendar?

3) Palm recommended Companion Link software. Anybody tried that? Is it good bad or otherwise?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhavoc View Post
    I need a recommendation!
    I want to transfer my Palm Desktop calendar to my Pre. And, I understand the only way to access this calendar both on my Pre and on a PC, is to use the google calendar in my gmail account.

1)Is that correct?

2) What's the best way to get my Palm Desktop calendar into google calendar?

3) Palm recommended Companion Link software. Anybody tried that? Is it good bad or otherwise?

Thanks!
    (1) is wrong. You can sync with exchange (seems to work better than google). There are plenty of cheap Exchange hosting services...just google for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    Hey guys, I was having the same exact problem and then I used the WebOS Doctor to completely reboot my device with 1.0.2 native ROM and now whatever I add to my Pre automatically syncs with Google. Of course, I had to reload all my music, ringtones, pictures, etc...but most of my other settings came back perfectly from the Palm profile.
    I'm going to try this, as soon as I figure out what WebOs Doctor is and how to get it. Searching now. Also, I guess I'll need to set up an online account to back up my photos before doing this. Thanks for the direction.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    My original calendar porting to the Pre was a worthless nightmare (too long to go into here but Palm has some major bugs with the calendar) so I started completely fresh. All I've done is create a new Google calendar associated with my gmail account, and then associate that with my Pre. My Google calendar is my primary calendar on my Pre, so all appointments I create on the Pre are officially, automatically in my Google calendar.

MOST of the appointments I create on my Pre appear in my Google calendar but some do not. For instance, I just created 3 separate events on my Pre calendar and did a manual sync. 1 of the 3 was ported but 2 did not. I erased the 2 that did not port, and re-entered them on the Pre. Manual sync again, and one more went over this time.

The last one refused to go to the Google calendar, so I erased it from the Pre and created it on my Google calendar. After another manual sync, it appeared on my Pre!

Unfortunately, any changes I make to that appointment on the Pre (adding to the notes, changing the time, etc.) do NOT sync back to the Google calendar.

This is as simple as it gets. Fresh, new calendars in both locations. Yet some appointments (created in the exact same way in the exact same time period on the Pre) don't transfer while others do.

I'm thinking bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    I'm thinking bug.
    There are lots of people having issues with 2 way syncing between google calendar and the Pre. Clearly Palm has some wrinkles to iron out in its cloud based synergy implementation.
    I've downloaded webOS doctor. I was getting ready to install but suddenly I'm getting the heebie jeebies. Do you guys REALLY think I need to run a complete reset just to get my google calendar to sync properly with the Pre?
    I'm reasonably savvy technically, but no expert.
    Quote Originally Posted by redbirdie View Post
    I've downloaded webOS doctor. I was getting ready to install but suddenly I'm getting the heebie jeebies. Do you guys REALLY think I need to run a complete reset just to get my google calendar to sync properly with the Pre?
    I'm reasonably savvy technically, but no expert.
    What's the big deal? You only lose your texts and call history. Your email, and 99% of your settings are restored for you automatically.

The whole process takes maybe 15 minutes, then you can copy back and reassign your ringtones, and re-link your contacts.
    Okay, I've given myself a courage check and moved on...
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhavoc View Post
    I had a lot of frustration,
    (a) Palm Desktop data went to Pre just fine, but
    (b) I had 5 years of appointment data and the Google/Pre sync did the first 2 years and stopped.
    (c) I'm fine with giving the first 4-1/2 years, but didn't know I had to do that when I started).

So I tried installing the CompanionLink software today and -- so far -- it seems to work fine between Palm Desktop and Google. Am having a bit of a problem between Google and Pre (an appointment somehow got moved from yesterday to today), but I'm foolishly hoping that was just a one-time problem.

The nice thing about continuing to use Palm Desktop (other than the fact that I know it) is that it allows me to use the Treo 755 as a backup in the event that the Pre needs repair (or runs out of charge).
    Sprint Pre user since June 2009. Previously a long time Treo user (600, 650, 700p and 755p). Will probably be changing to Android or iPhone if Sprint does not offer Pre3.
    Well, it seems webOS Doctor is not working for me. Have tried multiple times, uninstalled, re-downloaded. Chose "USB SYNC" upon connecting Pre to pc at prompt. Then tried "CHARGE ONLY." Then tried "MEDIA SYNC" and finally just leaving it to think about it for a while. Doctor will not allow me to proceed after connection by clicking the "Next" button; it's grayed out. Getting very frustrated.
  11.    #31  
    did i read this right.... when you downograded to 1.02 it synced perfectly with Google Calendar? that seemed backwards of Palm.

I gave up on this. Until we can make a local backup of our profile on the device itself, i am syncing with Palm Profile for now. More dependable in terms of being a "backup" solution. I just tried erasing my data and restoring from my Google account and it was a WORTHLESS restore.
    I'm giving up on it myself after trying multiple times. I did the OTA update to 1.0.2 after getting the Pre, but still have problems with items disappearing from Google calendar after syncing with the Pre.
    Lesson for today: I may know enough to be dangerous about PalmOS, but I know diddly about webOS.
    Last edited by redbirdie; 06/15/2009 at 11:10 PM.
    BUT items are disappearing from my google calendar online after they sync to the Pre. Example: I added a test birthday to my birthdays & anniversaries calendar from my laptop. It showed up within minutes to the Pre. Then I refreshed the page on my laptop and it had disappeared on my Google account calendar.
    I've been having the same problem with the default calendar for both my Palm Pre and my Google calendar. It only seems to happen with recurring events; one-time appointments appear on both calendars.
    I thought it might be the recurrence too, but then I tested that theory and so far it doesn't seem consistent. ugh. I placed test items on my main calendar that were yearly repeating and they seem to be replaced in both places.
    If we keep trying to find a common issue as to why the Pre is having issues syncing, then we may be able to speed things up on Palm's side.

So never has it been able to sync multiple appointments?
    What if you have it do multiple appointments on one day/week/month?

Just trying to get the gears turning as I too use Google calender to help keep my hectic graduate school life together!
    Quote Originally Posted by OppressioN View Post
    If we keep trying to find a common issue as to why the Pre is having issues syncing, then we may be able to speed things up on Palm's side.
    Agreed!

Yes, it has been able to sync multiple appts on a day.
    So far the problem is random, I can find no rhyme or reason to it - other than for me it has only happened with recurring items.
    Well, it seems webOS Doctor is not working for me. Have tried multiple times, uninstalled, re-downloaded. Chose "USB SYNC" upon connecting Pre to pc at prompt. Then tried "CHARGE ONLY." Then tried "MEDIA SYNC" and finally just leaving it to think about it for a while. Doctor will not allow me to proceed after connection by clicking the "Next" button; it's grayed out. Getting very frustrated.
    You don't go into "USB Drive," or any other setting. You would just plug it in.

If that doesn't work, turn your Pre completely off. Wait 30 seconds after the screen goes black, (because it's not really off yet,) and then push and hold the volume-up rocker. While holding volume-up, plug in the USB cable. This will power on the phone and you will see a white USB screen. Then run WebOS doctor.

Depending on what operating system you are running, this is a necessary step. I had to do this on Vista 32 Business.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12