Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Hello Pre Users,

I got my Pre through the company last week... I love the phone (except for the frikkin' battery issues which is driving me crazy) and the WebOS is simply awesome. I am coming from HTC Touch so this is definitely a good upgrade. However, I have an issue with syncing Exchange sub-folders under the Inbox. Only the e-mails going to the Inbox are getting automatically sync'd. I have multiple sub-folders that are not getting e-mails unless I open the folder. Is there any setup that I have missed? I searched around the forums and couldn't find any solution... It's very important for me to have Inbox and the sub-folders sync'd automatically. Otherwise, I may have to return the phone and get a WinMo Phone. Even though the WinMo OS is comparatively inferior to WebOS overall, the e-mail syncing for all kinds of e-mails works perfectly.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    iPhone does the same thing. It only automatically syncs your Inbox, the rest of the folders, you have to go into, and then they'll sync up. I just added the folders I need to watch into the "favorites", and then I just check them periodically.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Thanks for the information. Hmmm.... that's a bummer. Not sure if I'll be able to live without the auto syncing of the sub-folders. Will have to see how it affects my work the next couple of weeks. Also, if Palm doesn't get to the bottom of the battery issues before the end of the month, sad to say my Pre will be going back to Sprint.
    That's an EAS limitation (WM devices behave the same way).

So, if you have rules setup and emails are automatically forwarded to folders to keep your Inbox tidy like I me, then you have to disable them so that all your emails go to your Inbox, or else you will NOT see alerts for messages that go to those folders.

Coming from a Blackberry device, this is a bummer.
    Would I go back? Not a chance...
    Last edited by Neurobit; 06/15/2009 at 10:45 AM.
    I share your pain, NetHero, and have been pretty vocal here and to Palm about the poor EAS support. If you have Outlook 2007, however, a possible workaround might be to forward specific emails as text messages - go here for more info: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...549971033.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurobit View Post
    That's an EAS limitation (WM devicesbehave the same way).

So, if you have rules setup and emails are automatically forwarded to folders to keep your Inbox tidy like I me, then you have to disable them so that all your emails go to your Inbox, or else you will NOT see alerts for messages that go to those folders.

Coming from a Blackberry device, this is a bummer.
    Would I go back? Not a chance...
    +1 -- anyone that wants a pure email/messaging machine, just get a blackberry, since they've done a better job addressing sync than even Microsoft. Unfortunately blackberry does little else well but messaging (ie painful to browse websites).

Maybe Goodlink or similar will open up Pre syncing support to get "Blackberry Enterprise Server" type functionality, but EAS is real watered down on the server side and everyone's crying that it's Palm's doing.

I'm in a position to run on any phone I want - we have them all at work. I've used WinMo, Blackberry (swore to it last 5 years), I have an iPhone 3G (it just sits dead on the desk and i never look at it since battery is always dead), and my Pre is my official "daily driver" phone now - i absolutely love it.

The buzz in hacker/opensource/developer circles is also unprecedented so there are amazing things in store.
    Windows mobile has this capability. Tools -> Manage folders, click what folders you need to push the mail too. Windows mobile has the same 'push' a Blackberry has. IPhone 3.0 now has the capabilty to 'push' to the subfolders. I have also read reviews where it is mentioned Palm Pre pushes to the subfolders. Again I have been looking for the same and I come from Windows Mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by imtravis View Post
    iPhone does the same thing. It only automatically syncs your Inbox, the rest of the folders, you have to go into, and then they'll sync up. I just added the folders I need to watch into the "favorites", and then I just check them periodically.
    right the issue here is that it DOES sync subfolders, but it does NOT prepopulate them -probably a wise default behavior since people use Outlook subfolders like a filing cabinet and you wouldn't want to bog the phone down by downloading EVERYTHING.

I think the behavior of where it only populates subfolders you go into and use is actually smart.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Thanks to all your replies. Hope Palm will get around addressing the syncing of the sub-folders... I really don't want to de-activate the rules to send all e-mails to the Inbox. Tonyfjr, you're correct... ActiveSync does a good job of syncing all the Outlook folders under Inbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by odditory View Post
    right the issue here is that it DOES sync subfolders, but it does NOT prepopulate them -probably a wise default behavior since people use Outlook subfolders like a filing cabinet and you wouldn't want to bog the phone down by downloading EVERYTHING.

I think the behavior of where it only populates subfolders you go into and use is actually smart.
    That is great if you move them manually to your subfolders.

The problem is that if you have rules in place to automatically move those messages as they arrive, you will not get notified, causing you to miss them if you're away from your computer, so just keep that in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurobit View Post
    That is great if you move them manually to your subfolders.

The problem is that if you have rules in place to automatically move those messages as they arrive, you will not get notified, causing you to miss them if you're away from your computer, so just keep that in mind.
    I am going to look at modifying my rules tonight to send me a message alert on the emails that are automatically filed to sub folders (or at least, some of them.)
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how to sync more than just the past two weeks of calendar events? I'd like to get my entire past calendar on my phone.
    I could realy use the syncing of subfolders automaticly (as it did on my WM device) oh well, if we all keep asking it may be added. As for setting more than 2 weeks in the calendar go to your home screen and press menu;
    go to settings; then data synchroniszation; then exchange activesync;

now press the menu key again followed by settings; scroll down to calendar settings and set the sync only the past calendar options to what you want.
    Sadly, it is the way the EAS for non-WinMobile phones seems designed to work. I also have seen this to be true on the iPhone, the Pre, and PalmOS phones. It seems that EAS for non-WinMo and EAS for WinMO are very different. the WinMo sync is more "full and complete", but I've also noticed that it's much slower of a sync, probably because it's a lighter version. As a heavy business user I have found it to be non-optimal (although I'm living with it). It's difficult when I need to immediately forward something that I just sent to someone and I have to wait forever for it to update. I don't know if this is a Palm issue or really a Microsoft issue since it's their client.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    I'm also looking for the option to at least update the sub folders or any other folder besides inbox in real time / push sync. My HTC Mogul phone I came from before the Palm PRE would atleast sync these folders, and show me the unread count - but it wouldn't fire the notify alert unless it was a new email in the inbox.. I want both - i want the unread count constantly in sync like the inbox, and i want to be notified if I get a new message in ANY of my folders (with the option to turn on and off per folder). Why I'm stating what I'd like to see, I'll also just say I'd like to also be able to expand and contract the subfolders, so i dont have to scroll through my archives of email folders when i want to get to the trash can, etc :S

Just some thoughts - - I may have to hack away to get this to work the way I want :S

- D2G