Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I love, love, love my new Pre, but...

Here's a stupid moment in time - cutting edge, brilliantly designed hand-held (which will save Palm and maybe Sprint) requires me to setup a "rogue" wi-fi network in my office, so I can sync the hand-held sitting next to my laptop. This is where design theory and/or changes in paradigms just ends up being commercially nonviable (just say "Newton").

p.s. Did I just hear Palm volunteer to help me with the discussion I'm likely to have, when IT walks in my office asking - "are you broadcasting wifi?"
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
    Is your rogue network an ad hoc network? I can't seem to get the pre to connect to an ad hoc wifi network (I assume they have blocked that due to the desire to block tethering)

I guess I could go buy a cheap router but it does seem silly...
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Yeah. I want to sync with Outlook over USB and sync my music over wifi. But I can't. I have to sync with Outlook over wifi and sync my music over USB. Ugh.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I, too ,thought wifi was a pia when I heard about the sync stuff...but Pocket Mirror works great and I got a $30 Belkin adapter and a $40 router that I only use for that. Just plugged it into a hole on the regular router and now I have 5 bar wifi reception in the office for my Pre to boot...
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Hdhuntr, that's cool and I'm glad it's working out for you. Sadly that's not possible for everyone because for all the right reasons most offices don't allow employees to create their own wifi networks. So in many offices it's impossible to network desktop/laptops with the Pre over wifi. Having the option to sync over Bluetooth or a USB cable would solve that problem, and it's an option (cable) that goes back to the very first Palm device.
    Yeah Palm absolutely dropped the ball on this one and as a result I will be returning my Pre before the 30 day trial expires. I am interested in the rogue wifi networks though. I need to sync with my work laptop/outlook but our IT had it completely firewalled and I can't get the two to talk to each other. How are you guys having success backdooring your company's VPN/firewall? thanks
    Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about getting the Pre, however, I only have one last question.

My work uses exchange and I have outlook on my work laptop, the outlook connects to the exchange server. I can easily connect the Pre to my exchange server, so no issue here.

However, in addition to the above, I use my personal computer with outlook to connect to my personal email, which is a private pop server. Outlook fetches my email to my personal computer and I store my calendar, tasks and contacts in my outlook all locally. Can I sync the Pre with my personal Outlook , that does is not use an exchange server? I don't care if that sync is done through wifi or usb or whatever, as long as i can sync it.

Thanks for the help.

**Update:
    Just found a software called PocketMirror by Chapura, however, it does not sync email from my standalone outlook and it costs an extra $30. $30 is not a big deal but, it doesn't sync my email, does anyone know of any other solution?
    Last edited by gallantus; 08/11/2009 at 11:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    mark/space and chapura both DO NOT sync via USB or bluetooth, only via wifi.

there is currently NO solution to sync locally. terrible oversight.
    Quote Originally Posted by g0rey1 View Post
    there is currently NO solution to sync locally. terrible oversight.
    While I agree there should be local sync, I'm not sure it's an "oversight", but might be something that Palm did on purpose. I say that because during an e-mail exchange with Chapura, the following response was made when I asked about future USB sync functionality:

"The USB sync may remain a limitation that Palm keeps on the device."
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    weird. what does that mean? palm is restricting 3rd-party developers, forcing them to NOT write a prog that syncs via usb/bluetooth? or is this something that occurs naturally since palm has not (yet?) given devs access to lower-level functions/hardware apis?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12