Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 66
  1. #41  
    I hate gmail. I hate the ads. I hate the threaded emails (accomplished by cc'ing yourself on every email... lame). I hate the UI. I hate a lot of things about it. I'm basically only using it as a database for my contacts now that I have a pre.

    The best thing about gmail is that your address probably isn't going to go anywhere any time soon and it supports pop and imap. Meaning you have an email address that's not tied to your internet provider and you can use virtually any front end client you want with it.

    In short, back end good, front end bad.
  2. Lito305's Avatar
    Posts
    210 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    Coming over from hotmail. Whats with all the advertisements? Links to see news, videos..etc...kind of lame. Heck I cant even make a "saved email folder"????


    I need simple and this is turning into a pain.
    dude its just you mine works great on the pre
  3. NINnerd's Avatar
    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster242 View Post
    I hate gmail. I hate the ads. I hate the threaded emails (accomplished by cc'ing yourself on every email... lame). I hate the UI. I hate a lot of things about it. I'm basically only using it as a database for my contacts now that I have a pre.

    The best thing about gmail is that your address probably isn't going to go anywhere any time soon and it supports pop and imap. Meaning you have an email address that's not tied to your internet provider and you can use virtually any front end client you want with it.

    In short, back end good, front end bad.
    So if you go back and forth in an email convo with someone 10 times, you would rather have 5 separate sent emails and 5 separate inbox emails? That is such a waste of space. And it makes it a pain to read when all the emails aren't together (if someone emailed you in between the 5 you received).

    Um, my gmail has no ads. It has one tiny text line of a suggested website on the top. That's it. It's a "sponsored link". Where are you seeing ads?

    * * *

    To the OP - I don't know how to transfer a folder of emails to your new Gmail account. Have you tried Gmail help? Click "help" at the top of your Gmail page.

    And what do you mean about having your Hotmail email forwarded after 30 days? You want it held there for 30 days before being forwarded? Or are you talking about how long you can keep forwarding your Hotmail email? Cause there's no limit as to how long you can have it forwarded (if that's what you mean). If you keep your Hotmail account open forever, it'll forward forever.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by NINnerd View Post
    So if you go back and forth in an email convo with someone 10 times, you would rather have 5 separate sent emails and 5 separate inbox emails? That is such a waste of space. And it makes it a pain to read when all the emails aren't together (if someone emailed you in between the 5 you received).

    Um, my gmail has no ads. It has one tiny text line of a suggested website on the top. That's it. It's a "sponsored link". Where are you seeing ads?

    * * *

    To the OP - I don't know how to transfer a folder of emails to your new Gmail account. Have you tried Gmail help? Click "help" at the top of your Gmail page.

    And what do you mean about having your Hotmail email forwarded after 30 days? You want it held there for 30 days before being forwarded? Or are you talking about how long you can keep forwarding your Hotmail email? Cause there's no limit as to how long you can have it forwarded (if that's what you mean). If you keep your Hotmail account open forever, it'll forward forever.
    wheni signed up to gmail it said tomake the transition easier it will forward for 30days.
  5.    #45  
    WHERE! IS THE setting in gmail that i change so that when an email from my hotmail is forwarded to gmail it deletes the email from my hotmail inbox?
    Last edited by AlwayzRight; 06/13/2009 at 03:04 AM.
  6. NINnerd's Avatar
    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    #46  
    I'm not sure if there is a setting for that. As you said, it's FORWARDING it, not bypassing your Hotmail. But it would be on the same page as where you set up the forwarding (choose which accounts to have forwarded to your Gmail).

    ETA: Go to "Settings" at the upper right from the Gmail main page. Then click on the "Accounts" tab. Then "Add a mail account you own".
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by NINnerd View Post
    I'm not sure if there is a setting for that. As you said, it's FORWARDING it, not bypassing your Hotmail. But it would be on the same page as where you set up the forwarding (choose which accounts to have forwarded to your Gmail).

    ETA: Go to "Settings" at the upper right from the Gmail main page. Then click on the "Accounts" tab. Then "Add a mail account you own".
    I was told that when I set up Gmail there is a way to set it up so that ONCE it was fowarded from my hotmail to gmail it would delete it from my hotmail inbox. How do i do this. Now i basically have thew same email in my hotmail inbox and gmail inbox...Hella lame!!!!!!! I dont wat to now go back to hotmail and delete the message from my hotmail inbox because its now in both freaking inboxes.

    The more I mess with gmail the more of a pain it is...
  8. Machjuan's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #48  
    Im with you on this one. I hate Gmail and prefer Hotmail over it, but im starting to get the hang of it now.
  9. NINnerd's Avatar
    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    I was told that when I set up Gmail there is a way to set it up so that ONCE it was fowarded from my hotmail to gmail it would delete it from my hotmail inbox. How do i do this. Now i basically have thew same email in my hotmail inbox and gmail inbox...Hella lame!!!!!!! I dont wat to now go back to hotmail and delete the message from my hotmail inbox because its now in both freaking inboxes.

    The more I mess with gmail the more of a pain it is...
    Ok, dude, take a breath. It's EMAIL. Not the end of the earth.

    That said, you need to spend some time looking through the settings on there. Most people do that for a while to get used to something. Or ask on a gmail-specific help site. Or look at gmail's built-in help.

    Most of the time, when people have their email from one account (Hotmail) forwarded to another (Gmail), they do not check the original account anymore (Hotmail). That is the entire point of forwarding it. So you don't have to check two accounts. Who cares what happens to your mail on Hotmail as long as you see it on Gmail?
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
  10. NINnerd's Avatar
    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    #50  
    Also, keep in mind that it might take time to get your answers about Gmail. That doesn't mean the program sucks just cause you don't know how to work it. You just have to learn. If you didn't want to learn anything new, why are you switching email providers?
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
  11. nKoan's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I can't stand Gmail, either as a Web app or on the Pre. I don't like that my Gmail messages don't seem to stay in my Inbox for some reason, and so to see stuff I haven't yet seen I need to navigate back to "All Mail." Maybe this is because my home system is grabbing my Gmail periodically, but if so I'd still much rather it be like Yahoo (and just about every other email system I know) that simply keeps email in my Inbox but marks it as read when my home system grabs the messages.

    This is particularly a problem because Gmail messages in All Mail don't show up (for me) in All Inboxes on the Pre.
    Go into Settings then Forwarding Pop/IMAP. On the POP download, there is a setting called "2. When messages are accessed with POP" with a drop down box that give you the option to Archive (move it to All Mail), keep it in the inbox, or delete gmail's copy. The default is archive, but it sounds like keep it in the inbox would be better for you.
  12. nKoan's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    I was told that when I set up Gmail there is a way to set it up so that ONCE it was fowarded from my hotmail to gmail it would delete it from my hotmail inbox. How do i do this. Now i basically have thew same email in my hotmail inbox and gmail inbox...Hella lame!!!!!!! I dont wat to now go back to hotmail and delete the message from my hotmail inbox because its now in both freaking inboxes.

    The more I mess with gmail the more of a pain it is...
    Leaving a copy of the retrieved message on the server - Gmail Help

    Look for the option that says "Leave a copy of retrieved messages on the server"

    If you uncheck it, its basically saying to delete the message on the hotmail side. If hotmail doesn't actually delete it, then that's more of problem on hotmails side than gmail.
  13. StefanP's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    Coming over from hotmail. Whats with all the advertisements? Links to see news, videos..etc...kind of lame. Heck I cant even make a "saved email folder"????


    I need simple and this is turning into a pain.
    the "saved email folder": maybe you mean the existing drafts folder?? when you save an unsend email, it goes into the drafts folder. received emails that you want to save: just click archive.

    you can turn advertisements off by going to settings -> web clips -> uncheck "Show my web clips above the Inbox"

    give gmail a week. you'll love it and will never go back.
  14. StefanP's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    Why put labels on EVERYTHING? I delete unwanted emails. I have one freaking "saved email" folder on hotmail. Google doesnt give you the option to make a saved email folder along with sent, new, trash, etc...?..If not HELLA LAME.
    You don't have to put labels on everything. I never use labels. you can still delete unwanted mails if you like. and the saved email folder you're talking about is the "all mail" folder in gmail. just archive an email and it will be saved.

    And if you want to make new folders, just make a new label. it works the same way as a folder.



    to all of the hotmail fanboys in here: just be a little patient, you're acting like little children who aren't given their candy when they cry for it. You want to use gmail and want us to help you with it. that's fine, but at least be decent enough to not start yelling at us because you're to dumb to understand.
  15. NINnerd's Avatar
    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post

    And if you want to make new folders, just make a new label. it works the same way as a folder.
    It's better than a folder. When you want to organize your inbox on other sites, you have to use folders, which forces you to move your email from your inbox (and into the folder). On Gmail, you can label it, then put it where YOU want. Leave it in your inbox so you see it every day (very useful if you send yourself a reminder or you read something now you need to address later) or archive it so you don't have to see it (until you want to later). Also, if you click the label under the label list (bottom left of screen), you can see all the emails with that label. AND they're color-coded. Plus you can multi-label something if you want. Come on. Doesn't get more organized.

    Plus, Gmail autosaves your drafts for you. So if you are writing a super long email and your internet goes out or your computer crashes, you know that in the last 30 seconds or so, your email draft was autosaved. And you can always manually save whenever you want.


    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    to all of the hotmail fanboys in here: just be a little patient, you're acting like little children who aren't given their candy when they cry for it. You want to use gmail and want us to help you with it. that's fine, but at least be decent enough to not start yelling at us because you're to dumb to understand.
    Exactly. Typing in all-caps and freaking out is annoying. We're trying to help, but there's only like, two or three of us here. Plus, this isn't even a Gmail forum.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
  16. dmenglert's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #56  
    I tend to use both, right now on account of me getting mad at google during the presidental election as there were reports that they were shutting down certain blogs and it seemed to be politically motivated, (behavior like that can't be tolerated from a company that brokers information), as it turns out it wasn't thier fault.

    I have been on and still am on gmail for about 5 years, and love the technology, but in my initial anger over the blog story, I did start a hotmail account and keep it to this day to hege my bets.

    I found hotmail to have come a long way in the spam department, at this point gmail is only a tad better in that department, I have to give them credit they have improved I have had 3-4 items of unsolicted spam since September, about 1-2 with gmail (but for years I got none). My Yahoo account is almost all spam, but also to be fair that is what I use it for, if i'm signing up with a site that I dont' trust not spam me or sell off the address to others, I give it my yahoo address.

    I have both on my pre, and I am now using google more because it works better with my Pre. I also think the hotmail critisims are in most cased based on dated info and experiances

    if you have a hard time with the labels just think of them as folders by a different term.
  17.    #57  
    nKoan....THANKS MAN....gmail just got a little better...I think......
  18. NINnerd's Avatar
    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    #58  
    Using the Gmail help feature works. Imagine that.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
  19. tigagreen's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #59  
    It seems with Gmail on the Pre, I can only assign one label to the email. Is that the way it is, or am I not seeing/utilizing it correctly?

    On the web I can assign multiple labels to one email.

    I am also new to Gmail, since getting the Pre, but am learning as you guys feedback. THANKS!
  20. #60  
    Labels = Tags NOT FOLDERS. Google presents labels with the look of being in a folder, but in reality they are simply tags.

    1 email can have more than one tag/label i.e. Amazon, Receipts, Gifts and thus "appear" to be in 3 different "folders" at the same time.

    With true folders, i.e. Yahoo, Hotmail, 1 email can be in only 1 folder.

    Combine labels with Google's search... no way I could do Yahoo or Hotmail. Yahoo charges for IMAP access... Gmail is free.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions