1.    #1  
    The only thing that is holding me back is the question of if my corporate IT people will allow me to connect my Pre. Has anyone had any issues with your IT folks who currently support BlackBerry & iPhone saying no?
    I'm an I.T. folk and ever since I first made changes to accommodate our iPhone crybabies (removing device pin policy, which is a trivial "security" measure anyway), the side effect was it also opened up compatibility for our two Pre's to sync - we didn't have to make any changes in other words. So if your company already has iPhones running *with* SSL enabled then you should be fine.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I'm an exchange administrator, and I agree with odditory. If your IT folks will give you an exception on the security policy it works works great. Since iPhone requires that as well, then if your company supports iPhone, then they shouldn't have any trouble with the Pre.

Mine works great on our exchange server. I did have to set an exception, but it was easy enough for me to give myself approval to do it.
    Here's a little more on the issue.

EAS is actively (no pun intended, but it's a good one ) trying to compete with BlackBerry. Requiring PINs and remote wipes is a good start. However, if a IT department requires those, and then does not lock down the apps that can be run on the device, in my never to be called humble opinion, they are wasting their time. (BES allows this, I don't think EAS will do this on the iPhone).

The reason? If I write an app that makes your contact info available to me, then a pin lock on your device, and the ability for your IT department to lock it is pointless. I have the info I want without you ever losing your device.

iPhone owners probably don't have to worry about this so much, since their apps are tightly controlled by Apple.

Maybe the light is now coming on for some of you. The Pre has no such controls. Even if Palm had waited to release it until it could be locked and wiped remotely, it would still not be a "reasonbly secure device" until the IT department could lock down what could be put on the device.

I'm glad they didn't wait.