1.    #1  
    I've had a Palm continuously since the original Palm Pilot. (I think I got that one of the first day, too.) One of the selling points of Palm OS was always that with one sync you could migrate to a new device, do a disaster recovery, etc.

I am just short of being a Palm fanboy -- I do realize the strengths and weaknesses of the devices, so I'm not a true fanboy, just a fan and founding user.

With that said, I am completely appalled and amazed that there is not way to sync the Custom Fields from Palm OS to the Pre.

This is easily a show stopper for current Palm OS users -- I have probably a thousand entries in the contact app custom fields from ~15 years of Palm use.

Does anyone have a current "work around" for getting their contact app Custom Fields transferred from Palm OS to their Pre?

I love the device, Web OS, etc.; and while I have a few nit picks, this is the first big "uh-oh" issue for the device. This means I either have to lug my Treo around with me or send the Pre back.

I hope someone has figured this out through a third party app or other programming wizardry!

Thanks for your help.
    Ditto. Check threads on Memos for info on them.
    Not seen all that much talk on the loss of custom fields in the contact manager, but I have SO much data there (and in memos) that until that's fixed (Palm or RELIABLE 3rd party) and whatever we end up with is syncable, I'll have to carry on with my Centro and 650.
    PalmPilot > Pilot Pro > PalmIII > PalmV > m500 > m505 > KyoceraPalmPhone > Treo650 > Centro > ?pre?
    This is a big problem for me too. I wonder if there's a way to move the custom fields to the notes field.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotToTreo View Post
    I've had a Palm continuously since the original Palm Pilot. (I think I got that one of the first day, too.) One of the selling points of Palm OS was always that with one sync you could migrate to a new device, do a disaster recovery, etc.

I am just short of being a Palm fanboy -- I do realize the strengths and weaknesses of the devices, so I'm not a true fanboy, just a fan and founding user.

With that said, I am completely appalled and amazed that there is not way to sync the Custom Fields from Palm OS to the Pre.

This is easily a show stopper for current Palm OS users -- I have probably a thousand entries in the contact app custom fields from ~15 years of Palm use.

Does anyone have a current "work around" for getting their contact app Custom Fields transferred from Palm OS to their Pre?

I love the device, Web OS, etc.; and while I have a few nit picks, this is the first big "uh-oh" issue for the device. This means I either have to lug my Treo around with me or send the Pre back.

I hope someone has figured this out through a third party app or other programming wizardry!

Thanks for your help.
    This is my first Palm device so forgive my ignorance but what would you use these fields for? I'm guessing they dont want to continue using them b/c they're not supported by any of the "cloud services"...
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    This is my first Palm device so forgive my ignorance but what would you use these fields for? I'm guessing they dont want to continue using them b/c they're not supported by any of the "cloud services"...
    Many of them were customizable, so you could include business-specific data; a sales rep could include an account number, for example. This is useful or even essential functionality for many people.

I moved from Palm to the cloud a while ago, and most recently started using Google Contacts for nearly all of my information. They replicate this by allowing the same feature: you can define custom fields, and then input the data. I do this for Twitter user names, in the (perhaps overly optimistic) hope that apps like Spaz or Tweed would be able to use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkhall View Post
    Many of them were customizable, so you could include business-specific data; a sales rep could include an account number, for example. This is useful or even essential functionality for many people.

I moved from Palm to the cloud a while ago, and most recently started using Google Contacts for nearly all of my information. They replicate this by allowing the same feature: you can define custom fields, and then input the data. I do this for Twitter user names, in the (perhaps overly optimistic) hope that apps like Spaz or Tweed would be able to use them.
    I actually was exploring possibilities of doing this a couple months ago, but it's a bit challenging to sort out exactly what's feasible. Syncing "contacts" with Twitter, for example, will fall apart fast if you follow more than one hundred users due to API limits. If you are interested in hashing this out, we should chat about it on the new Spaz support site (Welcome - Spaz Support).