webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Synergy and Synchronization > How do you turn OFF the SSL....
How do you turn OFF the SSL....
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06/12/2009, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
How do you turn "OFF" the SSL setting for the Mircosoft email server exchange?

Thanks-
autonutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by autonutman View Post
How do you turn "OFF" the SSL setting for the Mircosoft email server exchange?

Thanks-
They are working on a fix for this.. if we are talking about the same thing..

My company uses and "unsigned" ssl cert and as of right now you are NOT allowed to accept and unsigned cert...

See if you can open another gmail account and then go to settings | Account tab | then "get mail from other accounts" that might be a good band aid for now..
antonio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
Thanks for your reply, however that doesn't address my issue with my company exchange server set-up.... The local Sprint Service Center said a "fix" is expected within 2 weeks...
autonutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
TC3
Member
 
Posts: 6
You cannot currently disable the SSL requirement on the Pre. Last update (on precentral home page) indicates a EAS fix within 60 days. We had the same issue, it took a couple days to get a certificate installed on our Exchange server to correct. Although it was a pain, it also identified a potential security concern (login/passwords vulnerability when no SSL in place.)

A temp workaround is to set up google calender and GMail and sync/forward for your outlook account - it's a bit clunky, but it will work until till you're able to facilitate EAS integration. I believe Chapura has also released a software solution that will sync with your desktop Outlook (look in the App store.)

Another caution - many correct the SSL cert problem, then still find EAS unusable do to no support for other EAS security features (pin, EAS remote wipe...) If your current EAS security polices require any of the above, you'll need your Exchange admin to create an exception for you (or other Pre users) until full EAS support is provided by Palm.
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3 View Post
You cannot currently disable the SSL requirement on the Pre. Last update (on precentral home page) indicates a EAS fix within 60 days. We had the same issue, it took a couple days to get a certificate installed on our Exchange server to correct. Although it was a pain, it also identified a potential security concern (login/passwords vulnerability when no SSL in place.)

A temp workaround is to set up google calender and GMail and sync/forward for your outlook account - it's a bit clunky, but it will work until till you're able to facilitate EAS integration. I believe Chapura has also released a software solution that will sync with your desktop Outlook (look in the App store.)

Another caution - many correct the SSL cert problem, then still find EAS unusable do to no support for other EAS security features (pin, EAS remote wipe...) If your current EAS security polices require any of the above, you'll need your Exchange admin to create an exception for you (or other Pre users) until full EAS support is provided by Palm.

Ok - I sort of understand. I work for a large corporation. I currently use a TREO Pro for my EAS E Mail. Before that I had a 700 P with EAS too. Those worked work fine. I also have an AT&T BJII with Win 6.1 and EAS works on it too, at the same time as mt Treo Pro does ( yes I carry two phones, I want to just have one but have waited on the Pre before leaving Sprint for the iPhone. THe iPhone works with our compnay just fine too BTW ) . I have to place an unlock code in my phones to gain access to my phone and aps. I do not think they can remote wipe my phone. I just think they can shut down the EAS permission at the Excahnge server level and the phone lock is " enough portection " I think... I am not an IT guy, I just need to use it. Will my e mail work with The Pre ? There is one on hold for me for 48 hours from now.... ? Thank you
MaverickC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2009, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
TC3
Member
 
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickC5 View Post
Ok - I sort of understand. I work for a large corporation. I currently use a TREO Pro for my EAS E Mail. Before that I had a 700 P with EAS too. Those worked work fine. I also have an AT&T BJII with Win 6.1 and EAS works on it too, at the same time as mt Treo Pro does ( yes I carry two phones, I want to just have one but have waited on the Pre before leaving Sprint for the iPhone. THe iPhone works with our compnay just fine too BTW ) . I have to place an unlock code in my phones to gain access to my phone and aps. I do not think they can remote wipe my phone. I just think they can shut down the EAS permission at the Excahnge server level and the phone lock is " enough portection " I think... I am not an IT guy, I just need to use it. Will my e mail work with The Pre ? There is one on hold for me for 48 hours from now.... ? Thank you
The Pre does not currently support use of a pin number. If your company requires the use of a pin, you will not initially be able to access your companies Exchange server. Until Palm releases the required update to enable the EAS security features (<60 days) - you have 3 options as a temp workaround,

1) Use Google calender and GMail to sync your Outlook calender and email.
2) Use a software solution such as Chapura PocketMirror to sync direclty to your desktop Outlook (already released in the App Catalog)
3) Get your company IT to exempt you form those requirements (it's a few mouse clicks.)

I also transitioned from a 700P, which I liked very much - While I agree initially setting up EAS using work arounds is less than ideal - I can tell you IMHO the Pre is is worth the hassle.
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0