Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by twizardt View Post
    The same people who use AOL will love syncing to the cloud.
    Ouch :-)

Really there are some of us out here that will not touch outlook with a 10ft pole, and we are not AOL users. I use Thunderbird and Gmail and I used to save contacts, calendar, etc. in Palm Desktop and on my Palm device. Now I've moved all of the contact and calendar info over to Google and I love it. Nice to be able to share calendars with others easily and be able to access from any internet-enabled device.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I moved over to hosted exchange a couple of years ago and would never go back to a desktop based client.

The benefits (for me) are numerous - I can use the outlook client on my desktop, the web client when I'm away and my phone at any other times - there is no synching the information is the same on them all.

A little while back my phone got destroyed while I was staying in a hotel, my replacement was dropped off, I entered my exchange details and *blam* there are all of my contacts and appointments.
    Your question is not really well-stated. Gmail is not "the cloud". It's an example of using the cloud, but it's not definitive. I set up Exchange on my home server. That too is an example of the "the cloud". I put my contacts into the cloud by the same process you described for Outlook (among any many other methods).

The fact that I can do it that way, and the other ways, and still get it all on my Pre, is the advantage of storing the information in the cloud.

Exchange info - it's on my Pre
    Facebook info - it's on my Pre
    GroupWise info (from work) - will soon by on my Pre
    Information put in directly from my Pre - it goes on my Exchange

Hope that helps explain my reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    Not all of need to use Outlook.
    Bingo. I don't think that occurred to the o.p.

It is a useful question for those that love to or must use Outlook.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspam1 View Post
    I keep searching the blogs to discover what the benefit is in having your contacts in Google. Just makes no sense to me since you have to manually sync them with Outlook.

I get 90% of my business contact data either from emails or business cards. I suspect most people are the same. Emails are easy, you just open and save the vCard file or cut and paste the text. Business cards I scan in.

What I want then, is to be able to move those contacts into my phone when I travel. Prior to the Pre, this was easy. I'd just connect a cable and the job is done.

Let's say I drink the Google kool-aid, and want to move my private contact info to their system. Everytime I get new contact information (almost daily), I have to export it from Outlook as a CSV file, and then import the CSV file into Google, clean up the conversion errors, and then sync that with my phone.

How is that more efficient?
    that's most efficient for google users like me. microsoft users will have to use the exchange sync, or one of the outlook syncing programs that were announced a few days ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Really there are some of us out here that will not touch outlook with a 10ft pole, and we are not AOL users. I use Thunderbird and Gmail and I used to save contacts, calendar, etc. in Palm Desktop and on my Palm device. Now I've moved all of the contact and calendar info over to Google and I love it. Nice to be able to share calendars with others easily and be able to access from any internet-enabled device.
    I scoff at those stuck with using Outlook! Aahahahahahaha!!!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Those of you who want non-cloud old school cable sync bought the wrong phone. From day one Palm has touted this device as a cloud enabled device.

If you are still a slave to the cable, then you probably should get something else. Those of us who enjoy the cloud will dig this phone because hey, it's the twenty-first century, and that's how we roll!

-n8
    I want my contacts/calendar in the cloud because I had everything synced with my google account before I left the Sprint store. Easy as can be no computer needed. It's 2009. Should be that way!
    The cloud is just another name for a remote server. I use Gmail for personal email and Outlook to access my work email/contacts on our Exchange server.

So far the Pre has been great for me. I can access all of my contacts and everything stays up to date. On my Touch Pro I only had Exchange but with Gmail and Facebook, I have added my personal life as well.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I really feel like outlook is a dated standard in the workplace, and I say this with it open on my other monitor right now. It's a really heavyweight app for what it does.

But the main benefit to keeping contacts in the Cloud is that it's not localized. I use gmail and google calendars for everything, and it's nice to be able to access it from any place I can access the internet with the same ease I could at home, as well as the reassurance that if my hard drive fails, I didn't lose any data.

If you're really that stuck on Outlook though, just ignore the sync backup, it's not hurting anything.
    The problem is the "cloud" that google provides has about 1/2 of the features that Outlook/Palm Desktop or Agendus offer. Can you link contacts as attendees to a particular calendared event? (ie: a particular dr. appointment to that dr. contact?- then do a global search to see how many times you've seen that dr. that year for insurance claim reasons?)

Sorry- but relying on a 3rd party to deliver features you had in a 10+ year old desktop app is just plain poor business. It's great that for you this reliance on google PIM feature sets work- but as a legacy Palm user household since the Palm III, I'm very disappointed at the complete lack of desktop support- and reduced PIM feature set, not to mention the flat out omission of standard direct vcal vcard support. (you cannot import or export a vcal or vcard from the device via any method SMS, Blutooth or email.

This makes this phone more useless than my "kids phone" sidekick that I used as THAT had a cloud that was backed up by tmobile. (genius at the time, even if very limited) at the very least I could email someone my vcard so they could get a hold of me.

Pre is a huge step backward in this regard- but could be easily fixed if they should choose to.

I was about to return the pre- but now that Mark/Space has released their beta, I'm curious. But the mac ical and address book are no comparison to Palm Desktop options (suprisingly) and on the pre I still can't send a contact or calendar event- a big problem when trying to coordinate events w/ the wife.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Very valuable info here. Yeah, I'm wedded to Outlook for the forseeable future, but each version gets better and better. Outlook 2007 is a pretty good application, if bloated like all MS products.

I can see setting up a home server would have some benefits. For now, I was able to get PocketMirror to run, so I was able to get my contacts on the Pre.

This phone is awesome.

ok,ok, ;-)

I didnt mean to insult non outlook users. It was more to say that people who like the inclusiveness of aol will love not having to sync to a computer and to be able to have their stuff somewhere out there.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whippingboy View Post
    The problem is the "cloud" that google provides has about 1/2 of the features that Outlook/Palm Desktop or Agendus offer. Can you link contacts as attendees to a particular calendared event? (ie: a particular dr. appointment to that dr. contact?- then do a global search to see how many times you've seen that dr. that year for insurance claim reasons?)
    Yes, you can link attendees from your gmail into the google calendar app. And I guess from that point you could use it for insurance claims reasons. I don't think there is support to do it from the Pre directly, though, which is a huge disappointment for me.

Sorry- but relying on a 3rd party to deliver features you had in a 10+ year old desktop app is just plain poor business. It's great that for you this reliance on google PIM feature sets work- but as a legacy Palm user household since the Palm III, I'm very disappointed at the complete lack of desktop support- and reduced PIM feature set, not to mention the flat out omission of standard direct vcal vcard support. (you cannot import or export a vcal or vcard from the device via any method SMS, Blutooth or email.
    vcard is nice, but also remember, if you are using g-mail, just the act of sending or receiving an e-mail puts that person into your 'all contacts' list, without any reliance of a vcard. You don't need to send a vcard because once any e-mail is sent, you have their e-mail address and they have yours. Granted, you don't get phone number, address automatically, company, title, etc for free, but you can always add that stuff.

Also, you aren't reliant on the google PIM set. You can also be reliant on the Exchange PIM set and the Facebook PIM set and get them all on your Pre. Different aspects of your life (social networking, personal PIM and work PIM) and they all show up. And the great thing is, it keeps them separate so it syncs back. And in the future, even more PIM services will become available. Yahoo PIM and MSN/Hotmail PIM should be coming soon (not confirmed, but it just makes sense). Third party programs are also available for better desktop syncing for people that prefer that style of PIM.

This makes this phone more useless than my "kids phone" sidekick that I used as THAT had a cloud that was backed up by tmobile. (genius at the time, even if very limited) at the very least I could email someone my vcard so they could get a hold of me.
    But this time the cloud is backed up by google/Exchange/Facebook and potentially other PIM services and not reliant on a single cellular network or device to read it. For instance, you can create events in your phone, and have them show up on your google calendar. And anyone that you've shared your google calendar with gets the update automatically.

Pre is a huge step backward in this regard- but could be easily fixed if they should choose to.

I was about to return the pre- but now that Mark/Space has released their beta, I'm curious. But the mac ical and address book are no comparison to Palm Desktop options (suprisingly) and on the pre I still can't send a contact or calendar event- a big problem when trying to coordinate events w/ the wife.
    Again, in the google calendar, you have two options. You can add her as a contact to the calendar event or you can even share calendars between the two of you, which will cause her events to show up on your calendar and vice-versa. And again, yes it sucks that the Pre doesn't support this part of the API yet.

In summary, its obvious that the cloud is not something you want. And that's fine. There are lots of good arguments against the cloud. The cloud isn't controlled by you, and if the cloud or the company hosting your data ever goes away, then all your information goes with it. There is potential for abuse from storing your data on someone else's server. And the list goes on.

I wouldn't say its so much a huge step back, but embracing a different way of doing things. All the downsides of 'the cloud' aside, there are plenty of very nice benefits. You are no longer tied to your PC for syncing, nor are you tied to any specific device. If your PC crashes, the data isn't stored on it so its no big deal to get your information back, plus it makes it easy to access your details from anywhere there is an internet connection. And best of all, since this stuff isn't stored on a PC, once you set up all the syncing, there is no longer a big need to manually sync information anymore, because it just works.
    That all sounds very lovely until I want to sync my memos (or tasks on anything other than exchange).

ok,ok, ;-)

I didnt mean to insult non outlook users. It was more to say that people who like the inclusiveness of aol will love not having to sync to a computer and to be able to have their stuff somewhere out there.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    That all sounds very lovely until I want to sync my memos (or tasks on anything other than exchange).
    Use Evernote for notes.
    If you want your stand-alone Outlook to keep on synching with the Pre phone, without the need of an Outlook server, use CompanionLink 3rd party software.

i can't post the exact site of Palm that mentions Companionlink. I still need to do 10 posts here. wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    As far as I know, WinMo devices are the only ones that will sync notes to an Exchange server.

That said, I hope Palm adds this functionality as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    I have been using the "Cloud" for some time now. I have all my contacts, calendar and email on google. I have all my email accounts forward to gmail, then reply from only one location, but the recipient sees it from that particular account, not gmail.

I use Thunderbird on my 2 computers at home, on my portable (USB Drive), and in my office. This is constantly syncing all these things, no matter what computer I am using. I also have my phone synced up to Google, which means that these three things are synced on that also. So, no matter where I am, what device I am on, my stuff is ALWAYS there. And, the best part is that if my laptop crashes, or I do a hard reset on my phone, my stuff is only one click away from being fully synced.

I really enjoy having to do absolutely nothing at all (Connecting my phone to a computer) and it is always up to date. Nothing better in my eyes...
    The problem with this is that my crappy verizon online dsl service craps out more than once a month for days. I can't always reach the clouds even though I am now paying out the **** to do so with my pre.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12