Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    As of today, my Pre now syncs each of the 5 major PIM categories: Email, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Memos.
    4. Tasks: The iphone mobile website for Remember The Milk works great.
    5. Memos: Evernote app, just now available in the App Catalog. Evernote rocks on the desktop, and now syncs with my Pre!
    What's the route you took to convert Palm PIMs (eg tasks, memos) onto the Pre? Been studying "Missing Sync", "CompanionLink" and others....not fully satisfied they will keep the Pre converted "tasks" & "memo" on the desktop.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I just noticed that when I begin an email on my Pre it syncs as a draft on the GMAIL server. Then I can edit that on a PC, and save the draft. This could go on indefinitely, I'm assuming. So that is one of the best sync'able note systems I've found on the Pre.
    You mean starting an email through the mail program? What happens when you start an e-mail if you have no wifi and no evdo? Will it save in a draft folder the the phone to be synced later when you have a connection? Thay would be nice
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    RightyO,

CompanionLink will keep them right on the desktop. But for technical reasons, no application can sync Tasks or Memos to the Pre from Google.

CompanionLink Synchronizes with Google Contacts and Calendar. Pre can pick the data up from there. The problem is that Google lacks a Task API, and the NoteBook API got deprecated; new users can't have Notes.

What CompanionLink does is it maps Palm Desktop Tasks into the Google (and Pre) Calendar. These are untimed events on the due date. Palm Desktop Memos are moved into the Google (and Pre) CONTACT list. They are moved with the value |M| in front of the name. This sorts them to the bottom of the contact list.

So this accomplishes the feat of supporting Tasks and Memos in a manner. Some people have appreciate it. I'm the first to say it's an Uber-Kludge and we welcome the earliest opportunity for native Task and Memo support through Google on the Pre.

You can try CompanionLink for free for 14 days. It's a full demo with all features. You need to "Turn on" the Memopad sync as it is off by default.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    http://www.companionlink.com
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Will Companionlink xfer user defined fields in contacts and/or contact groups to Google then to Pre?
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    3. Contacts: Google Contacts. Syncs with my Gmail and Google Voice contacts lists. I love how the Pre pulls the Facebook pictures and associates them with the contacts. I never used the actual "Contacts" app, but just select a contact from the keyboard.
    Heberman (and anyone else),

Are you able to get a bi-directional sync of Contacts? If I add a new contact in Gmail, it syncs to the Pre. But if I add or delete a contact on the Pre the change does not show up in Gmail. Does it only sync in one direction? Or is there a limit on how many contacts it will sync (I have about 3K)?

Robert
    rlweiner, your experience is the same as mine regarding the one-way sync. This hasn't always been the ase though. The first few months I had ny Pre, bi-directional syncing was working for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlweiner View Post
    Heberman (and anyone else),

Are you able to get a bi-directional sync of Contacts? If I add a new contact in Gmail, it syncs to the Pre. But if I add or delete a contact on the Pre the change does not show up in Gmail. Does it only sync in one direction? Or is there a limit on how many contacts it will sync (I have about 3K)?

Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    rlweiner, your experience is the same as mine regarding the one-way sync. This hasn't always been the ase though. The first few months I had ny Pre, bi-directional syncing was working for me.
    Did you guys make sure to set the default in contacts to Google? Mine syncs both ways...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Yes, my default account is set to Google.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I think I've fixed the problem. Spent about 2 hours on the phone with Palm support today, talking to 3 techs. I had to delete all traces of Google accounts from the Pre's Contacts, Calendar, Email, and Messaging apps, then add Gmail back in as an Exchange server (really). When I sync'd I got all of my contacts, and changes started going in both directions.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    OK, I think I have a solution, at least for me. I'm syncing a standalone/desktop copy of Outlook 2003 with the Pre. I tested PocketMirror, CompanionLink, Go Contacts Sync, gSyncIt, Google Calendar Sync, and Evernote. Here's what I'm ending up with:

Contacts: gSyncIt, via Google.
    Tasks: gSyncIt, via Google.
    Calendar: Google Calendar Sync. gSyncIt would probably be fine, but I already had Google Calendar Sync working before I found gSyncIt.
    Notes: Evernote. gSyncIt can get my notes into Google Docs, but those don't sync with the Pre and I don't want to have to get Internet access just to read or write a note. Also, gSyncIt also brought my Google Docs into my Outlook Notes, which wasn't good. Most were too big the spreadsheets, were useless.

As I wrote earlier, the trick to getting a bi-directional sync was to set up Google as an exchange server using server = m.google.com and domain = google. That's not ideal -- it doesn't respect the mail sync frequency I had set up. A Palm tech told me bidirectional sync problems are at the top of their list of things to fix and an upcoming release should make it work through IMAP.

I am not happy to have to rely on the cloud for syncing, but that seems like the best solution -- at least for now. I was optimistic about CompanionLink, but it would not sync reliably. I finally got sick of calling their tech support. Plus, it's the most expensive option.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Update: It's not all smooth sailing with gSyncIt. I initially selected the option that would put my Outlook contacts into Gmail sorted lastname, firstname -- Gmail's contacts are normally sorted by first name, and there's no option for changing that. This might work fine as long as it's just Outlook and Gmail syncing, but when I synced with the Pre it saw those last names as first names. I had to tell it to sort contacts by first name to get an alpha list. But my contacts that hadn't come from Outlook were entered firstname lastname and this made them sort into the wrong parts of the alphabet. In order to make this approach work I would need to enter all contacts in the Pre in the format "Smith, John" and change contacts coming from other sources like Facebook to match. (One pleasant surprise: when I synced some new test records back to Outlook, they came out right whether they were entered lastname, firstname or firstname lastname. I didn't try one with a middle initial, though).

Tech support at gSyncIt said I could just change the sort order and resync without losing any data. And they were sorta right -- when I synced this time I got duplicates. The dupes occurred whenever someone had a suffix like Jr or MD. I also got some dupes on people who had middle initials. Fortunately, I realized this quickly and was able to go into Outlook, sort my contacts by Created Date, and delete the new ones.

The message: Don't tell gSyncIt to sort your contacts by latname, firstname in Gmail without thinking this through.
    ....Don't tell gSyncIt to sort your contacts by latname, firstname in Gmail without thinking this through....
    rlweiner, thanks for posting this, it looks like your model fits my model. I had considered going "corporate" and trying to implement Google Apps, but the lack of a shared contact list shut down that idea. So, I back to stand-alone sync.

Since you have already blazed this trail, I would like to learn from your mistakes. Is the contacts sync solution to go with the hard-wired Google sort format - firstname, lastname and do the same in Outlook, gSyncit and the Pre? One potential problem (maybe) is I already transferred the top level "Contacts" folder in Outlook to Google/Pre. Is this going to create problems, duplicates, etc.? Should I delete all in Google and start over?

This leads to anther question. Do you have contacts sub-folders in Outlook, and will gSyncit handle these?

Added: After researching your solution, it seems Google Calendar Sync is still suffering from the Time Zone/Daylight Savings Time errors. I now understand why my recurring events (summertime) in Google were one day early - they're assigned a time of 12am in Outlook and I guess that converts to 11pm the day before in Google Calendar. Maybe Gsyncit can do better.
    Last edited by GrouseHiker; 02/14/2010 at 11:25 AM.
    For a different perspective, I'm not having any problems with Google Contact and Calendar syncing both ways with Synergy ("Cloud").
    I use Evernote for notes, which is great.
    I don't use tasks (for some reason I always put tasks in my calendar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kegl11 View Post
    For a different perspective, I'm not having any problems with Google Contact and Calendar syncing both ways with Synergy ("Cloud").
    I use Evernote for notes, which is great.
    I don't use tasks (for some reason I always put tasks in my calendar.
    Do you also sync with Outlook?
    Do you also sync with Outlook?
    I sync Google calendar with Outlook, using Google Calendar Sync--works great. Unfortunately it doesn't sync the Google contacts with Outlook contacts, which isn't a big deal for me. I honestly don't use Outlook for anything other than one more place to keep my calendar and contacts backed up. So I just manually export my Google contacts and import it into Outlook contacts about 1x/week.
    Last edited by kegl11; 02/14/2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Typo
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    GrouseHiker:

My contacts show up in the Pre sorted by lastname -- except for those that end with a suffix. Those sort under the suffix (e.g, John Smith sorts under S, but John Smith, Jr sorts under J). That's not a problem if you're searching for contacts, but it's weird when you're browsing them. I also found that I had to eliminate commas before suffixes, so John Smith, Jr. is now in Outlook as "John Smith Jr." Otherwise, gSyncIt put them in Gmail as Jr John Smith! Figuring this out was a huge pain, but fixing it wasn't bad (I had to search for all the Jrs, IIIs, JDs, etc.) It's grammatically wrong, but it works.

I do not have contacts in subfolders so I can't speak to that.

Another unpleasant surprise with gSyncIt: running a sync causes my Outlook to go from taking about 100MB of RAM to between 900MB and 1.3 GB of RAM. I have to shut down OL to reclaim that memory. I assume this is based on either my number of contacts (about 3K) or the size of my PST file (about 1.5 GB) -- your mileage may vary. Google Calendar Sync causes OL to go to about 200MB RAM, which is tolerable. I'm only using gSyncIt for contacts, which don't change as often as calendar events, and not running it often.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by GrouseHiker View Post

Since you have already blazed this trail, I would like to learn from your mistakes. Is the contacts sync solution to go with the hard-wired Google sort format - firstname, lastname and do the same in Outlook, gSyncit and the Pre? One potential problem (maybe) is I already transferred the top level "Contacts" folder in Outlook to Google/Pre. Is this going to create problems, duplicates, etc.? Should I delete all in Google and start over?

This leads to anther question. Do you have contacts sub-folders in Outlook, and will gSyncit handle these?
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Update: I thought I had the bi-directional sync problem fixed but it stopped working again. I see that new events have been sync'd from my PC to my Google calendar but they're not showing up on the Pre.

I'm going back to square one. I know there's a new version of CompanionLink -- maybe they've fixed the bugs. I'm reluctant to spend the time (the better part of a day) deleting my contacts and calendar entries, recreating my Gmail account, and resyncing via Google. It's clearly not reliable.

As I wrote earlier, the trick to getting a bi-directional sync was to set up Google as an exchange server using server = m.google.com and domain = google.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Another update: Still using Synergy to sync via Google. Yesterday my Pre stopped syncing with Google again, and this time tech support says to use the built-in Google sync settings rather than setting up Gmail as if it's an Exchange server. But he didn't inspire confidence that they've fixed the sync problem in WebOS 1.4. We'll see...

The one bit of good news is that whereas in WebOS 1.3 it took most of the day to delete and then resync my Gmail account, it took less than an hour under 1.4.

Update: I thought I had the bi-directional sync problem fixed but it stopped working again. I see that new events have been sync'd from my PC to my Google calendar but they're not showing up on the Pre.
    Quick question, has any of you *read* Evernote's Terms of Service?

Here's the link: https://www.evernote.com/about/tos/

To wit:

By submitting to Evernote any ideas, suggestions, documents and/or proposals through the “Contact Us” interface or otherwise (collectively, “Contributions”), you acknowledge and agree that: (a) your Contributions do not contain confidential or proprietary information; (b) Evernote is not under any obligation of confidentiality, express or implied, with respect to the Contributions; (c) Evernote shall be entitled to use or disclose (or choose not to use or disclose) such Contributions for any purpose, in any way, in any media worldwide; (d) Evernote may have something similar to the Contributions already under consideration or in development; (e) your Contributions automatically become the property of Evernote without any obligation of Evernote to you; and (f) you are not entitled to any accounting, compensation or reimbursement of any kind from Evernote under any circumstances.

Any other way to get Memos synchronized to my Palm Pre?
    Last edited by Furuboru; 06/08/2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: added link
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast