Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The homepage has an Article regarding Palm's efforts to "fix" EAS support
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-knows...within-60-days

IN 60 FRIGGIN DAYS!!!! What business user can be without PIM and email for 60 days? The return policy is 30 days isn't it. Maybe they are trying to set themselves up to overdeliver.

OK, truth is the new features they want to implement in 60 days, but they intend to fix issues regarding servers without SSL before then. Great. No mention of reconciling Root vs. Non-root certificates, local domain names, wildcards or any other of a number of issues.

In some cases, it doesn't appear the issue is Palm, but unless IT departments can be educated and are willing to make changes (we know how easy that is), there may be many more returns, just as suggested by the early Sprint internal documents.
    This could be good news or bad news. It could be good because it shows they want to focus on the battery life and reception issues before EAS stuff, but could also be horrible news if this is the first update they are planning.

Palm, don't disappoint us.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    60 days is unacceptable. It needs to be fixed by the end of the month or it's going back. I'll give it another try after it lands on AT&T.
    i can't even get on my corp wifi network because they use LEAP...
    I thought I read something that the Pre was going to be exchange only.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    60 days is unacceptable. It needs to be fixed by the end of the month or it's going back. I'll give it another try after it lands on AT&T.

Then take it back now if your not happy, what happens if you drop it?

Lets see if it even makes to att?

My EAS works fine!
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    Then take it back now if your not happy, what happens if you drop it?

Lets see if it even makes to att?

My EAS works fine!
    EAS works fine for many people, and is broken for a lot of people too. That isn't a good thing.

I know it will be on AT&T - I am friends with some Palm folks (who are balls out on the EAS problem BTW, but any fixes have to go through full regression testing , etc...)

I like it a whole lot more than my wife's iPhone. But the iPhone GS will be a narrow #2 in front of the bold (which has great email but sucks at most everything else). So I'll keep the Pre until the 30 days trial period gets close, and by then hopefully the EAS issue will be fixed. If not, the lines for the 3GS will be down and I can get one of those and wait for a GSM Pre (which I would have prefrred anyway).
    I don't see what the problem is -- Exchange 2007 and my Pre are working flawlessly, and I'm about to test Exchange 2010 with the Pre.

1) Any I.T. department that isn't requiring SSL on ActiveSync are incompetent, or just lazy, or don't understand how -- it's fairly tricky esp. on Exchange 2007. But it really should be done.

2) Remote Wipe and Pin Lock? Hardly going to be an issue for the near future .. again any decent I.T. dept will get one or two Pre's and test them for at least 6 months before handing them out like candy to replace a fleet of Blackberries. By then these issues will be resolved.

Again these are non-issues for competent I.T. departments.
    Boy, you know, I'd rather they take their time getting those features added correctly and properly test them, rather than rush them out for the highly vocal and angry few and run the risk of the features not working.

If you really require them immediately and can't make do without the access on the go for a month or two, then you should swap phones. You'll miss out on everything else you may have loved about the Pre, but hey, you'll have that one feature immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by odditory View Post
    I don't see what the problem is -- Exchange 2007 and my Pre are working flawlessly, and I'm about to test Exchange 2010 with the Pre.

1) Any I.T. department that isn't requiring SSL on ActiveSync are incompetent, or just lazy, or don't understand how -- it's fairly tricky esp. on Exchange 2007. But it really should be done.

2) Remote Wipe and Pin Lock? Hardly going to be an issue for the near future .. again any decent I.T. dept will get one or two Pre's and test them for at least 6 months before handing them out like candy to replace a fleet of Blackberries. By then these issues will be resolved.

Thank you for calling me incompetent. I use our firewall to block out all the ports so I don't use SSL. Does that make me incompetent? All of my staff uses phones where SSL can be turned off but with my Pre I am SOL until they add that option. It is a good thing, I don't really need my Pre flooded with emails
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.

My IT dept runs exchange 2007 with SSL and valid certs. But the Pre still doesn't work with it.

This is not about incompetant IT depts.
    Perhaps that was the wrong word. Point is, SSL is best practice so that corporate communications aren't traversing the internet in clear text.

MikeSM (are you on avsforum, btw?) As for Ex2007 + valid certs, I'm not sure the issue is on the Pre's end, given all the other variables along the chain (firewall, etc). If your org has iPhones or WinMo devices working with ActiveSync over SSL, I don't think the Pre should have a prob, but I could be wrong.

Doesn't make sense why Ex2007 w/ SSL and Pre works for me and many others, but not for some.

mikesm what error do you get
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Thank you for calling me incompetent. I use our firewall to block out all the ports so I don't use SSL. Does that make me incompetent? All of my staff uses phones where SSL can be turned off but with my Pre I am SOL until they add that option. It is a good thing, I don't really need my Pre flooded with emails
    Blocking ports is great, but has nothing to do with encrypting the data stream which is what SSL gives you. While I guess it's nice that Palm is "fixing" this to allow non-SSL setups, I too don't understand why you would run Exchange without having SSL enabled. I mean, maybe if it's your own personal Exchange sever and you don't give a crap, then fine. But for a company..? eeeks.

I know way too many people who use laptops and smartphones on public WiFi hotspots (unencrypted). Without SSL enabled, all their email traffic is wide open and readable.
    I posted in a few places that I was able to sync with Exchange 2007 after installing the server's certificate on the Pre and on the server itself we checked the box to allow non-provisionable devices. After that it worked fine. Good luck.

This is somewhat of an ignorant post. You cleary don't understand the issue at hand here.

The problem is that WebOS does not support any exchange server that requires a PIN and/or remote wipe. I don't think corporations are going to be handing out pres as a fleet device anytime soon either, but that doesn't mean I don't want to connect to MY exchange account.

especially since the pre was advertised as EAS compatible, not "EAS compatible....as long as you have SSL, and no advanced security policies in place"

The bottom line is that Palm really screwed the pooch here. They do not support the super low end EAS users (e.g., non SSL), nor do they support the higher end EAS users (PIN, remote wipe). If you're not in the middle, you're screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    You asked, so I'll answer. I won't go as far as to say "incompentent", but you are STILL running a risk. Over 80% of IT security breaches come from inside the company, not outside. If you are using EAS inside your firewall without using SSL, you are allowing anyone who has the knowledge to look at packets on your local network, and find login information.

Exchange data that runs over the wire, any wire, should be encrypted.
    Perhaps that was the wrong word. Point is, SSL is best practice so that corporate communications aren't traversing the internet in clear text.

MikeSM (are you on avsforum, btw?) As for Ex2007 + valid certs, I'm not sure the issue is on the Pre's end, given all the other variables along the chain (firewall, etc). If your org has iPhones or WinMo devices working with ActiveSync over SSL, I don't think the Pre should have a prob, but I could be wrong.

Doesn't make sense why Ex2007 w/ SSL and Pre works for me and many others, but not for some.

mikesm what error do you get
    Hey! Yes, same mikesm. Good to see you here!

Yes, we run BES, which works fine, and WinMo 6.1 devices which also work fine, as well as iPhones which also work fine. No issue with anything other than the Pre, which makes me popular with the IT dept.

My symptoms are that contacts work fine, but I only see the directory structure on email. Just the folders, no messages. Outbound email works fine, but calendar does not sync at all - nothing.

Also, after configuring the exchange acct, it doesn't indicate a fault - it works for awhile and then says sync complete, but of course it's not. It also appears the radio is blazing away with traffic to the server, because the Pre gets quite hot and they battery life sucks. When I remove the acct, everything calms down and works fine.

I'm not the admin for exchange, so I don't have access to all the settings, though if someone could tell me what is needed to fix the problem, I can probably ping folks about it. Folks on other forums seem to indicate I need SP1, which I can't get them to deploy.

So that's my predicament. I run servers at home as you know, so I am quite frustrated by this not working right.
    Quote Originally Posted by lostshootingstar View Post
    This is somewhat of an ignorant post. You cleary don't understand the issue at hand here.

The problem is that WebOS does not support any exchange server that requires a PIN and/or remote wipe. I don't think corporations are going to be handing out pres as a fleet device anytime soon either, but that doesn't mean I don't want to connect to MY exchange account.

especially since the pre was advertised as EAS compatible, not "EAS compatible....as long as you have SSL, and no advanced security policies in place"

The bottom line is that Palm really screwed the pooch here. They do not support the super low end EAS users (e.g., non SSL), nor do they support the higher end EAS users (PIN, remote wipe). If you're not in the middle, you're screwed.
    Actually, not having advanced security policies was discussed in depth.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Face it - the Pre was not ready to be released. It seems it is up to the good people on this forum to trouble shoot it for Palm.

I am also getting tired of all the folks on here that will support Palm no matter what. You beat on those on the forum that do not like the Pre because they are having issues and are returning it. People use these phones for business and if they don't work, NO BUSINESS!

I have been one of the strongest supporters of Palm - going back to the early days. Why can't you just admit that it was not ready!
    Quote Originally Posted by lostshootingstar View Post
    This says it all IMHO. Agreed that those who do not have SSL enabled, should. The point is that this option was left out of the WebOS and the setup of EAS on the Pre. If Palm decides to leave it that way, that's fine. But change that EAS compatible and add an asterisk next to it with the details. Especially since every other device I know of has the option to configure without SSL enabled.

Love the Pre. Returned it yesterday for this very reason. I ported over from at&t to Sprint to get this and would love to try it again if at&t gets the Pre.

My feeling is that they had some kind of issue in the build and they disabled this option. In 60 days all EAS will probably be working fine. For me, I had to make a decision to either stick with Sprint and the Pre or take it back and not get dinged for extra fees.
    Brandon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast