Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    How do you back up text messages?
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    How about a list of what is and isn't stored in your Palm Profile?

YES, IT'S STORED
    ===========
    - Contacts
    - Applications from the Catalog
    - Browser Bookmarks

NO, IT'S NOT STORED (& YOU BETTER BACK THIS UP MANUALLY)
    ===========
    - Most application settings
    - Pics, vids, & media in general
    - Calendar (or are only some people not having their calendar backed up?)
    - Memos
    - Tasks
    - Call log
    - Text messages
    - And, obviously, patches/homebrew

Anything else?? Or did I mess a couple of those up?
    Surely somebody has done this and can tell what did and didn't work for them. Contacts that are added seem not to show up... only contacts in your FB account, which doesn't seem like the Palm Profile is even doing its job. Nor does it save the calendar for some people. What's the truth on this? Is it really so hit and miss?
    Surely somebody has done this and can tell what did and didn't work for them. Contacts that are added seem not to show up... only contacts in your FB account, which doesn't seem like the Palm Profile is even doing its job. Nor does it save the calendar for some people. What's the truth on this? Is it really so hit and miss?
    Memos are backed up. I've seen this twice on my Pre's and everytime, I've had memos sent back to my new Pre.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    OK... does this sound about right then? I'm about to Doctor my phone in the next day or two, so I'd like to know what to expect...

YES, IT'S STORED
    ===========
    - Applications
    - Browser Bookmarks
    - Contacts
    - Calendar
    - Memos
    - Tasks

===========
    - Call log
    - Text messages
    Browser bookmarks were not saved in my case...
    I got my Pre on the day it was released. I was the third person in line that morning. I kept this 'original' phone, until the other day when the speaker decided it didnt want to work anymore, even though it had a little oreo action happening.
    I went to the Sprint store, they said that they would need to order me a new phone. A couple days later I went in to get the 'new' phone. The tech asked me what I wanted to transfer over to the new phone, and I told him 'uhhhh everything?'. DUH. seriously? Then he told it was going to take him 2 hours??!!! ***? really? ok fine. Do it.
    When he gave me the phone back, NOTHING was backed up, except he was 'able' to copy over my pictures. Keep in mind that this was an actual Sprint 'repair center'.
    The tech said it was a problem with the Palm Servers. hmmm so he handed me a clipboard a pen and my old phone so I can as he put it, 'save' my contacts.
    So, when i got home I tried to do the update, reload my profile thing, didnt work.
    Turns out I dont love my phone as much as I used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meekoish View Post
    The tech said it was a problem with the Palm Servers. hmmm so he handed me a clipboard a pen and my old phone so I can as he put it, 'save' my contacts.
    Hah... that's so sad that it's funny. I would've stabbed him in the neck with it.

Seriously, I think this is Palm's #1 problem. I really wish this would be priority #1 for a minute. They have got to fix the cloud sync and provide some kinda java application for local sync... or wifi sync to some shared directory... SOMETHING!!

No other problem is as large as this one, at the moment. And I'm not sure how they have gone this long without fixing it. I can understand that there are limitations with the re-partitioning solutions... but this backup problem has MANY solutions. Do all of them. Buy a company's app in the catalog if you're gonna be that slow with it. Jeez.

YES, IT'S STORED
    ===========
    - Contacts
    - Applications

===========
    - Application settings
    - Memos
    - Tasks
    - Call log
    - Text messages

Based on the help file it says it backs up:

• Contacts
    • Calendar Events
    • Tasks
    • Memos
    • System Settings
    • Applications
    YES, IT'S STORED
    ===========
    - System Settings
    - Applications
    - Browser Bookmarks & Cache
    - Contacts
    - Calendar
    - Memos
    - Tasks

===========
    - All of Synergy's account passwords
    - Call log
    - Text messages
    - And, obviously, all homebrew
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

YES, IT'S STORED
    ===========
    - Contacts
    - Applications

===========
    - Application settings
    - Memos
    - Tasks
    - Call log
    - Text messages

unfortunaely Im getting a little tired of the palm profile, some of my contacts dont come back like they should when i use the cloud, i went and got missing snyc for pre and now Im having problems with that as I payed the 30 dollars. I use outlook for mostly everything so in saying Im starting not to like the cloud
    Phone set to back up every day so why in contacts does the palm profile say '0 contacts'?
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    I have a lot of contacts that are pulled down from Facebook. Are those contacts backed up to the Palm Profile or is it only contacts that I manually enter into the phone?

Also, is there a way to look at the data that has been backed up on the web somewhere?
    When I got my new phone and inserted sim card. No contacts showed up for the profile. It seems only new contacts are backed up to the palm profile.

When I added a couple it showed like 150 on sim and 2 on profile.

Not good.
    on my profile it says i have 156 contacts. which is correct. if i was to do a full erase would i still have all my contacts when i sign my profile in?
    hey guys how do i check that my contacts are saved on the palm profile?

i set it as default account, but the phone says i have just 2 contacts in it
    Quote Originally Posted by massmurder675 View Post
    on my profile it says i have 156 contacts. which is correct. if i was to do a full erase would i still have all my contacts when i sign my profile in?
    I think that the majority of time, you _will_ get all of your contacts back. But relying on IT ALONE to store ALL of your contacts is rather foolish.

You should have it backed up in at least 3 places in any given time, including the phone. So whenever your phone gets dropped off a ladder at the house you were working on, you still have the Palm Profile to hopefully get you back that same day, within 20~30 minutes of getting a replacement. If for some reason it had 2-10 contacts, whereas you had 156 earlier in the day... you can still go home to your paper backup, your txt file, your csv file, or even to sign onto Google.

I REPEAT: It is YOUR job to have 3 copies of your data at any given time... NOT PALM'S!!

Tho, they make it extremely easy for you to backup and restore one of those copies, they only make the 2nd copy. You cannot rely on one backup source alone.

Quote Originally Posted by stangacci View Post
    I'd like to know that as well.
    you can check to see "how many of your contacts " are saved to your palm profile, Sim card , facebook ,computer ,etc by going into contacts>Preferences &accounts>Accounts and tap on the particular account and it shows you the number of contacts synced to each one.oh also there is an option "Default account where you can choose where new contacts are synced to
    Does anyone know of a way to edit the information stored in backup? Since updating to 1.3.5, I have been unable to assign a new contact number to the speed dial for #6. I don't know if something is wrong with my backup data, but I was hoping to edit the backup data, assign the new number to the #6 speed dial there and then doctor my phone. Has anyone else experienced problems with speed dial after backing up? All of my other speed dials work fine, but then again, I didn't try to assign a new contact to them . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HAH... I just checked and I have 2 contacts too!!!

Thing is, I've never put any contacts in my phone. So those 2 contacts MUST be the "Sprint Account Information" and "Sprint Customer Care" contact numbers!!

If anybody only has 2 contacts listed in their phone, when they HAVE personally added 1 or more contacts.... then that means something's not right!!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Bump

i would not advice to set your palm profile as your default account for new contacts... i would rather use google.

in google, you see your contacts in their website, and you can edit it there.

in palm profiles you dont see them at all. and you are not sure if you add a contact that it will be indeed added. there was an instance that my brother used the palm profile as his primary and palm had a hickup and lost his contacts. so not reliable yet.

hth
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast