1.    #1  
    Not sure what might be missing and it is encouraging to find out that Palm has already acknowledged these issues and is committed to address in the near term but still not great news on the device --below is from my corporate IT--we are a Fortune 500 company with lots of field employees:

"Palm Pre Wireless Device

The much anticipated release of the Palm Pre, running the Palm web Operating System (webOS), is now publicly available. However, due to multiple security related features not included in the current version of the operating system, IT is unable to effectively support the device within the organization.

We have been informed by Palm representatives that updates for the webOS to resolve these features will be released in the near future. Once the required security features have been released to the public, IT will begin the process of approving the use of the device for wireless email access. Additional information will be made available as we receive regular updates from Palm."

I do remember a similar issue with the Iphone when it first launched but it got resolved too.

Anybody care to hazard a guess? It might be that our company requires a password protection and auto-timeout if the device is left alone.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I too work for a Fortune 500 (top 20) and they will not support anything but RIM. They actually explicitly say, no iPhones or Treos, and I'm assuming this will mean no Pre. I need to go throw a 20-spot at some IT guy...
    I'd like to think that it's related in general to EAS connectivity. That would mean that they're working feverishly on resolving it, and perhaps I can get mine to connect sometime soon.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  4.    #4  
    My Treo Pro passes the test using EAS and the mobile outlook that comes on it, so that tells me that other devices can work if they build in the correct security measures. Just further enforces the "fat middle" that Palm is going after and not nearly as focused on the corporate guy (or gal) like me.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Sounds like a non-issue to me. I connected my pre to the Outlook Web Access server at work and it synced my calendar, email, and the entire corporate global address book (which I'd like to get out of my contacts list).

Although with EVDO running and it connected to the internal wi-fi, maybe that's a firewall issue? That would be a pretty impressive hackjob to get connected through a cell network to a corporate wi-fi network. But I bet it's doable by someone. I told those hacks in the IT dept that they should put the wireless outside the firewall and make people VPN in.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Anybody care to hazard a guess?

My guess is they are blowing smoke and just don't want to be bothered supporting it. (And I work in I.T. as an exchange admin)

Look at the EAS thread regarding SSL. It seems like the Pre is ONLY working on devices that support SSL. Seems pretty secure to me.

It's one thing if a company only wants to support RIM (as a PP stated) since RIM runs on its own server and can be centrally managed.

But if your company supports iphones, winmo phones, and currently has Outlook Web Access, the Pre should be fine.

Did you try to add your EAS settings to the device and see if it worked?
    Quote Originally Posted by ttremblay View Post
    I too work for a Fortune 500 (top 20) and they will not support anything but RIM. They actually explicitly say, no iPhones or Treos, and I'm assuming this will mean no Pre. I need to go throw a 20-spot at some IT guy...
    Unfortunately that won't work if your company is really RIM only since the EAS will be configured just to communicate with the BES. That's the great think about going RIM only, no messing around with EAS.
    This may not come to fruition, the pre was marketed towards tech savvy consumers and was not intended for business use.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Same here wenly do RIM, but are starting to support HTC phones and do away with BB.