Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Just to confirm, this will require a third party application/conduit, right? Like Companion Link or IntelliSync.
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Correct, currently the only thing I have found is Companion Link..and gmail access is blocked via firewall here at work...out of luck for now..let me know if you get it to work.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmfood View Post
    Just to confirm, this will require a third party application/conduit, right? Like Companion Link or IntelliSync.
    You would need a vpn client to get into your corporate firewall to talk to domino directly to get notes access if you want notes updates for emails/mtgs.

I believe IBM has this for the iPhone, so a pre version may follow
    I'm accessing our notes system via POP3. I tried using IMAP but we have SSL problems the exchange users are having and I was unable to connect. We turned off SSL on a test sever and it appeared to work well. I didn't have time to check for IMAP IDLE support though.

I've also used Domino Web Access, that appears to not be working in WebKit with Domino 8.5 mail template in Full mode or in Lite mode.
    Of course CompanionLink does not help you for email...

For email there are currently four choices:
    1. DWA Ultralite -- (requires Domino 8.x) this is basically webmail / contacts / calendar / tasks access via web browser in a format that was written for the iPhone. It works very well.

2. POP3 Access -- this requires your admin opening ports in the firewall and the client basically downloads mail to the device. There is no syncing and is for email only (would still require something like CompanionLink for everything else)

3. IMAP Access -- this requires your admin opening ports in the firewall and does allow for synchronization and is basically live access to your email. Unfortunately I have been unable to get the Pre to access Notes/Domino mailboxes via IMAP that are accessible via desktop mail IMAP clients.

4. Exchange Active Sync using Lotus Traveler -- Traveler, which currently allows mail / cal / contacts/ tasks syncing for WinMo devices and Symbian devices with Domino 8.02 and above with special client code is going to support ActiveSync w/ v8.5.1 (due this fall). This is primarily to support the iPhone. Unfortunately, it looks like IBM/Lotus is currently only implementing what it needs for the older ActiveSync code on the iPhone and the current beta code I've tried does not sync at all.

I'm going to do my best to get some of this stuff cleared up w/ my contacts...
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_w View Post
    I've also used Domino Web Access, that appears to not be working in WebKit with Domino 8.5 mail template in Full mode or in Lite mode.
    You'll want to try "UltraLite" mode of 8.5. That's the version that is specifically for the iPhone and it works very well w/ the Pre.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    If you are having SSL issues, make sure that the server name you specify is the same name that's in the server's SSL certificate. Often times a server will respond to multiple names, ex. mail.xxx.com, mailhost.xxx.com, pop.xxx.com, imap.xxx.com, etc. but certificates are often issues in the name of one server. the Pre will fail the certificate if the server name you choose is not in the certificate.

In my case, the auto-setup was a non-starter because it always chose imap.xxx.com. I had to delete the account and set it up manually with the right server name because that's one option that can't be changed after the fact.

I think that the 1.0.2 update loosened the certificate requirements as well.

-darren
    I'm usong Pop to receive email, SMTP via Gmail to send, and Companion Link for Contacts and Calendar. Works but it's messy. Please tell me there's a better way.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Of course CompanionLink does not help you for email...

4. Exchange Active Sync using Lotus Traveler -- Traveler, which currently allows mail / cal / contacts/ tasks syncing for WinMo devices and Symbian devices with Domino 8.02 and above with special client code is going to support ActiveSync w/ v8.5.1 (due this fall). This is primarily to support the iPhone. Unfortunately, it looks like IBM/Lotus is currently only implementing what it needs for the older ActiveSync code on the iPhone and the current beta code I've tried does not sync at all.

I'm going to do my best to get some of this stuff cleared up w/ my contacts...
    Let me know what you find. I also attempted to set up traveler via EAS on the Pre. It shows the outbox but the status on traveler says:

PALM28fa16a7a3935eba521b0f1a61bb: Waiting For Message From Device and the following changes are pending synchronization: folder:add, mail:add, calendar:add, contact:add, task:add
    Meanwhile my iPhone says:

Apple-iPhone: Online and no pending changes to synchronize.
    Bummer... wish it would work. Otherwise the Pre is going back.
    I don't think intellesync or companion deal with actual e-mail... Only contacts, calendar...
    On the Treo, you could install a desktop program on your Notes desktop called the Desktop Connector. This would talk to Sprint and give Sprint notficiation when new e-mails arrived... This PUSH technology then talked to a palm app, which was a special version of "Sprint Moble E-mail WORK". This is what they have to convert/fix... I've talked to dozens of Sprint reps and very very few even understand how it was working on the Palm 700p and Centro, let alone how or if Palm/Sprint is planning to carry this forward to the pre...
    Go down to your IT department and place your foot up the rear of whoever is responsible for you still being on Lotus Notes...

As for synching, give it some time. Someone will find a better way I am sure.
    Yeah, I know... They're talking about switching to Outlook, the problem is, we have so many Notes databases, unrelated to e-mail for basic workflow... Getting that data out and into some better app is like pulling something out of a black hole!!

I did talk to Sprint and they said Palm is the one working on making this work with the pre like it does with the Treo... The current plan is for Palm to make it work eventually... Hey, it's only been just over a week that it's been out, so I'll cut them some slack... on the other hand, what were they doing for the last 2 years!

I do have a friend who paid for Companion Link and does like it... You can sync your Notes calenar with any one of your many Google calendars... Beware of the contacts situation... it will populate your Notes contacts with all on your phone... However, if Palm works out the Mobile Email Work problem, you might get contacts and appointments with that already....
    I have a ticket open w/ Palm (Service Request #1-51623458983) on the IMAP sync issue and have forwarded IP packet traces of what their client is doing during both initial setup as well as once a "root folder" is given.

BTW--Sprint Mobile Email Work (or what used to be called Sprint Business Connect) is a rebranded version of Seven's Personal Edition. They have recently told their beta customers (of which I'm one) that they do not plan a Pre client currently due to their limited access to the SDK and what they perceive as a lack of access to the hardware.

As for their PalmOS version of the client, it was capable of mail sync to the inbox only as well as Calendar sync via its own calendar app. It was not capable of task or contact sync.

That said, I've been using CompanionLink for the past few days and think it's OK, though it converts Notes tasks to Google calendar events rather than taking advantage of Google's new task capabilities.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    I know that Seven was behind that product all along and they driving force... So, to get this all to work, Palm and Seven have to agree to work together first, then Sprint has to be happy with what they came up with to over it to us... Yuck!!!

You said you use CompanionLink... That does not get you e-mail, right? I'd be happy with the inbox only myself....

So, who at Palm can I nag to get them to cooperate!!
    I don't think it's worth nagging....I just spent 1.5 hours of frustration on the phone w/ Palm's level 1 support just trying to get to the engineers who would have received all of the packet traces and server logs I emailed on Monday. I'm sure that Palm contracts out their Level 1 support but this is rediculous.

Anyways, I know that their engineers responsible for the IMAP code have what I sent them so hopefully we'll be in good shape for full IMAP (minus IDLE push--Domino doesn't support it) soon.

As to the other question, Companion Link is for PIM (contacts, calendar, tasks) only. It does not sync the Notes Journal/Notebook.

The trick to getting your Pre to at least see your inbox via IMAP is to put anything in the Root Folder field on the "Login Settings" screen of your account. The downside is that anything you send from the Pre will not end up in the Sent view in your Domino mailbox and anything you "delete" from your Pre will not be deleted in Notes. Unread marks do seem to transfer though.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    You can ask to talk to level 2 support usually.
    LOL!!! I wouldn't be so aggravated still if that was the case.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    Good news....Palm has resolved the issue and verified the fix against my servers. They're not sure when/which production build it will make it into but do consider it a priority.

Hopefully the release cycle doesn't slow down now that insecure EAS is available.

If I get an inkling as to when/which build it will be I'll let you know.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    So, to get IMAP, do you have to have something installed on the Notes server?
    Yes, the Domino server (and your mail database) must be configured for IMAP access. In addition, a Domino server must be configured to allow you to relay SMTP mail, and your corporate firewall must be configured to allow all of this.

If your administrators do not allow IMAP access to your Domino mailbox I would not be surprised. Unless there is a single Domino server supporting all of your users it can present architectural issues. In addition, it can certainly present security issues.

In most cases, Domino admins are going to allow access to their mail servers either via VPN (and that's something we don't have a Pre client for), Notes client, or a mobile server such as BES, Good, or iAnywhere) because it removes the necessity of direct access to your mail server and also removes the reliance on SMTP relaying.

As an aside, the "Ultralite" (read iPhone) version of Domino Web Access (iNotes) for Notes / Domino 8.5 works just fine with the Pre.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast