Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I have an access called "Webmail", but I don't get buttons needed to reply... I can read an e-mail, but not respond... I'm running a version 6 client... Maybe when we go to v8?
    Hey, My desktop connector is still working and actually sending SMS messages to my pre.... It seems, now that you can write apps around the catalog site, all someone has to do is re-write the mail client on the phone and the rest is already working on the Notes-sprint side...
    OK.. I agree... That was kindof rediculous.... There are encryption keys and other hoops to jump thru to get the Pre to talk to the native Seven server app and Sprint directly... BUT, now that the SDK is "out in the wild", Seven could make it happen, if they want, right?
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    So I am using the web browser to access my companies BLOW-tus notes. I am running the iphone version of it.. LOL. I-notes.

works great.
    how do you do that? My company has only showed me a imail web interface. Is there a way for me to get it using the iphone interface? or is that hosted by each company independently?
    CommonTime is going to come out with a client for the Pre as part of their mNotes suite. I hear they are beta testing now. They have a version that runs on your desktop, uses https / 443, and will link to your local replica of your Notes db and then relay on e-mail, cal, contacts, etc... The version for WinMo I used even allowed me to use SameTime!
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Good news....Palm has resolved the issue and verified the fix against my servers. They're not sure when/which production build it will make it into but do consider it a priority.

Hopefully the release cycle doesn't slow down now that insecure EAS is available.

If I get an inkling as to when/which build it will be I'll let you know.
    I can verify that Domino IMAP folders are still broken in 1.0.4.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
    how do you do that? My company has only showed me a imail web interface. Is there a way for me to get it using the iphone interface? or is that hosted by each company independently?
    Not sure. When I logged in to mail.mycompany.com, I get the Blow-tus log in screen. After I logged in, it told me my browser wasn't set up for the full version, would I like to try the lite version? I said yes, and low and behold, Blow-tus I-notes....
    Last edited by dvdmax; 06/29/2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: typo
    I have configured the Pre to send and receive eMail and using Companion Link to sync the Address Book and Calendar. Companion Link is very easy to set up and works very well. The eMail on the Pre was set up as POP with port 110 for inbound and 25 for outbound. In both cases no encryption and Outbound has authentication turned off.

If I have opened an email on my desktop, that email does not get sent to the Pre. If I delete an email on the Pre it also gets deleted on my desktop.

I may have an email unopened showing both on the Pre and the desktop. If I open that email on the desktop it gets removed from the Pre. If I open that email on the Pre it still shows unopened on my desktop and stays on the Pre.

We have two Domino servers, one receiving the email and running Sametime, the other on the internal network. Initially my mail file was on the internal Domino server so I had to move my mail file to the Sametime Domino server then I made sure that I was able to access my eMails over the Internet using a browser.

At first I was only able to send mail from the Pre and after awhile I started to receive mail. No idea what happened there.

I have a 2nd Pre belonging to another person. I have done all the steps described above and the receive email is the only piece that does not work. Still trying to figure out why.

Sprint tells me that that second Pre also has the Enterprise Plan. There are two differences that I can think of as follows: I have set myself up as an Administrator on my Domino servers. The other person is not an Administrator. The other difference is that my client is Lotus Notes 8.5 and the other person's is 7.0. This later shouldn't make a difference.

When I figure this out I'll do another post.
    According to a sales rep at CommonTime, the mNotes solution is only for wired sync, it's an old method of off-line e-mail that has become obsolete. They ARE supporting iPhone and Pre on mSuite, which is the opposite... It's totally enterprise and expensive... You could buy 10 seats for $1,600 and install it on either a Notes server or on the desktop (and use CommonTime's server). I'm working on them to sell a single user version cheap with a monthly subscription...
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Real dumb question here but isn't Lotus Notes usage declining drastically ?
    I would have thought most future development and requests in this area would decline.
    Just how many Lotus Notes users are there left?
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    Well there are at least hundreds of thousands at IBM all around the world.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    You'd be surprised. I was doing some research for my company in this area. The numbers are hard to come by because Microsoft and IBM are not very forthcoming with information. The research I was able to pull together shows that Exchanges has approx 55 million licenses and Lotus Notes/Domino has around 42 million. MS has an edge but I believe Novell is in 3rd with about 10 million so IBM still have a very big piece of the pie and both vendor (MS/IBM) are claiming increase market share. This is probably due to India and China. Notes is very big in Europe and Asia.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    It is just that the trend is definately dropping and has been in Notes for quite some time I was surprised. As an example some of the largest financial institutions here in Aus have dropped Notes and are aggressively removing Notes applications because of the declining skills availability. IBM didn't do Notes any favours by calling the end of the product lifecycle some time ago and having to back track due to Notes community backlash.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    FWIW- our company switched over to Domino/Lotus Notes about 5 years ago and it was an excellent move... we get exceptional bang for the buck. What hooked us was IBM's agressive pricing.. the server software is free and we only pay a small annual fee per user.

Our single server is located off-site in a data warehouse and we have been down no more than about 3 or 4 times the entire period, only a few hours total. I perform the little bit of Domino admin work req'd for a company with around 70 users... it's easy to manage, rock solid, and IBM is very easy to work with on support.

Get this.. the same box also runs Lotus SameTime, which is an amazing Java based product that gives us web meetings, remote control, and instant messaging... all w/o having to install software on the clients! Again, low price per seat + free server SW.

Anyway, to answer the question, here's a recent Market Analysis I found re Lotus Notes/Domino:
    ---
    # In 2009, IBM Lotus Domino will have an installed base of 156 million mailboxes, and is expected to grow to 199 million by 2013. This represents an average annual growth rate of 6%.

* The on-premises Lotus Domino Mailbox installed base accounts for the vast majority of the Worldwide Lotus Domino Mailboxes. In 2009, on-premises Lotus Domino mailboxes account for 87% of the all Lotus Domino Mailboxes.

* IBM Lotus Notes/Domino has traditionally found most of its traction amongst Large and Very Large businesses, as larger organizations often require the powerful, advanced collaboration features offered by IBM.

See [Report] IBM Lotus Notes/Domino Market Analysis, 2009-2013
    ---

Randy
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    This has gone way off topic for a Pre BBS (my fault). I wonder if there is an off topic forum?

Anyway, we have 13,000 employees and had over 2,500 Notes applications.
    We now have less than 700 applications and will continue to reduce where it makes sense as the declining availability and ever increasing cost of expertise is a risk we are trying to mitigate.

Extract from Gartner...
    Business conditions in the e-mail market remain challenging for Lotus Notes/Domino as IBM continued to cede share to Microsoft in 2008.

Based on seat count, Novell's e-mail system, GroupWise, has less than 5% of the overall e-mail market, and that share is being slowly eroded by Microsoft Exchange.

Many organizations combine a migration from Novell directory services with a migration away from GroupWise. Customers are primarily concerned about Novell's market staying power and lack of third-party support. However, GroupWise is a profitable business for Novell, and there is no suggestion that the company will drop the product.

Given the available development money, we expect the functionality gap with Exchange to grow during the next few years. . However, the latest version of GroupWise (v.8) shows substantial improvement in calendar, contact and task management. Plans for moving GroupWise into the fastest-growing sector of the e-mail market — software as a service — remain unclear.

The best chance Novell has of revitalizing the GroupWise brand is to make the mail system part of its Novell Open Workgroup Suite. However, success with the bundle is predicated on broader adoption of a SUSE-based workgroup strategy, which will primarily appeal to companies in emerging nations, governmental bodies and the education sector.

How I setup my lotus notes and works fine. i setup a gmail account soley for my notes emails, basically the same name @gmail.
    I setup a rule to fwd all emails to the gmail accounts from notes.. Obviously I have the gmail on my phone.
    Now on gmail I set up reply from rule: as my notes address and reply to rule for the sender: as my notes address.. You can't tell the diff when you send an email from your phone.

For the calendar I se companion sync and it works fine.
    When I leave my desk each day I clear the all emails from my gmail account out. So all emails I get on my phone I know are new. has been working seemlessly.
    Last edited by oasis9389; 07/10/2009 at 08:49 AM.
    sorry i wrote that last one on my phone in bed and it was a mess.. i just edited it.
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    How I setup my lotus notes and works fine. i setup a gmail account soley for my notes emails, basically the same name @gmail.
    I setup a rule to fwd all emails to the gmail accounts from notes.. Obviously I have the gmail on my phone.
    Now on gmail I set up reply from rule: as my notes address and reply to rule for the sender: as my notes address.. You can't tell the diff when you send an email from your phone.

For the calendar I se companion sync and it works fine.
    When I leave my desk each day I clear the all emails from my gmail account out. So all emails I get on my phone I know are new. has been working seemlessly.
    This is a great idea. Unfortunately, it doesnt work for me. The rule that I enabled to forward all documents to one of my gmail accounts wont work. I'm assuming that it has something to do with my company's strict guidelines when it comes to routing mail. Argh.
    ah sucks..yea it works great when i reply from gmail it says my notes address as where its from. and replys go to my work account and then get fwd'ed to the gmail account.

the companion sync is perferct for the calendar though. try that.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast