Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    For one the Pre recognizes when you configure your GMail labels as folders. AKA Folders4GMAIL

For instance I have three labels:

Friends
    Friends/Wife
    Friends/Family

Through a Gmail plugin online, and with Gmail on the Pre that shows up as
    Friends
    Wife
    Family

I think it is really cool that Palm implented a feature to gmail that isn't native to the GMAIL experience.

Second whats up with all the posts about getting your Pre to work with Cox Cable, or Time Warner, Comcast etc. Another cool feature of GMail is that you can configure it to grab email from other web accounts. If you go to settings / Accounts in GMAIL then you can configure it to get mail from other accounts. You all have Pre's! Use it to its potential. Get a GMAIL account if you dont have one. Have GMAIL grab other email accounts using POP3, or if you want your mail ASAP forward it to your GMAIL account from Comcast or Cox, and then its pushed right to your phone. Otherwise POP3 can take 15 minutes or more. The downside of it is that you cant send email from those specific accounts but how necessary is that? You can always use the browser. Maybe you can configure the Pre to just send mail from a certain address too.
    Quote Originally Posted by S4Rs View Post
    Maybe you can configure the Pre to just send mail from a certain address too.
    You can set the reply to address as the one you want it to come from....looks like it came from the native account. Works slick.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGibbons View Post
    You can set the reply to address as the one you want it to come from....looks like it came from the native account. Works slick.
    Are we able to configure the Pre or is it Gmail so that the reply address is whatever you want?
    You are able to config Gmail. Go to Settings.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    Through GMail the pre has many mail features that people don't come to realize.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGibbons View Post
    I have changed the setting in gmail for reply to, but it is not working... Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Anyone figured out how to Archive from the Pre?

I tried changing the "Trash" folder in the Pre settings to be the "All Mail" folder as described for the iPhone 3G HERE (it's the Gmail help file).

I tried it on my Pre, but when I go back on my PC and log into gmail, the messages are still in the inbox. On the flip side, if you leave the "Trash" folder as "Trash" it WILL move deleted emails out of the inbox and into the trash (where they'll disappear after 30 days)

Let me know if anyone has figured out Archiving on the Pre yet....Thanks!
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I know its not the one-click solution that you would likely prefer, but I archive items on my Pre regularly by using the "Move to folder" option in the menu. I just move any messages that I want to archive to the All Mail folder. Its a habit I had already gotten into on my iTouch (since oftentimes I actually DO want to delete things -- its more of a rare occurrence for me to want to Archive a message without otherwise labeling it).
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply....It's very strange, because mine is not working in that fashion....even when I do the Move To Folder function, messages are still just hanging out in my inbox....I'm going to try "Removing" my gmail from my email accounts and reseting it up...I'll post my results in a few min
    For one the Pre recognizes when you configure your GMail labels as folders. AKA Folders4GMAIL

Friends
    Friends/Wife
    Friends/Family
    Are your wife's friends hot?
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Friends
    Friends/Wife
    Friends/Family

Friends
    Wife
    Family

I think it is really cool that Palm implented a feature to gmail that isn't native to the GMAIL experience.

Second whats up with all the posts about getting your Pre to work with Cox Cable, or Time Warner, Comcast etc. Another cool feature of GMail is that you can configure it to grab email from other web accounts. If you go to settings / Accounts in GMAIL then you can configure it to get mail from other accounts. You all have Pre's! Use it to its potential. Get a GMAIL account if you dont have one. Have GMAIL grab other email accounts using POP3, or if you want your mail ASAP forward it to your GMAIL account from Comcast or Cox, and then its pushed right to your phone. Otherwise POP3 can take 15 minutes or more. The downside of it is that you cant send email from those specific accounts but how necessary is that? You can always use the browser. Maybe you can configure the Pre to just send mail from a certain address too.
    Do your folders (labels) push, or do you have to manually sync? I can't get subfolders (below the level of the inbox) to push in my imap email client. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Oh baby! Fixed it!!!

Here was my problem..... For some reason I had "Advanced IMAP" enabled in the Gmail Labs section....this was futzing things up. It works fine now without the labs feature enabled.

Devonair - just an FYI. I went into the settings section for my Gmail account on the Pre, at the bottom it allows you to specify the Default folders for Sent, Drafts and Trash. I changed the Trash default folder to be "All Mail" and now I can 1-click Archive...the "Swipe Delete" also Archives to this folder....if I truly want to delete something (which is more rare for me than just archiving) then I'll use the two click method you described to move it to the Trash folder.

Now, I can't wait for the Universal Search to search emails....I hope it's not too long for that update.
    When they fix the labels to push let me know. Im looking at 4 email accounts on my phone and there should be only one..
    I don't understand, you cant search emails??? I cant live without it. I hope they add that option right away

Friends
    Friends/Wife
    Friends/Family

Friends
    Wife
    Family

This sounds great but I can't seem to get groups to work on the pre. I spent a lot of time pre 'PRE' getting this all set up, I put all my contacts in their appropriate groups but they don't seem to show up.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugewhyte View Post
    When they fix the labels to push let me know. Im looking at 4 email accounts on my phone and there should be only one..
    you mean if you forward e-mails from 3 of your accounts to 1? I do that, and I see the forwarded e-mails in the label/folders in my Pre as they come in.

Edit: Ah, I see what you mean now. I had just set up my account forwarding and didn't realize that the reason I was seeing the e-mails was due to me opening the new folders created and not auto push. That is annoying. I thought I found a way to eliminate multiple inboxes. Yet another feature that should be fairly straight forward to implement -- hope it comes soon
    Last edited by cooneyca; 06/10/2009 at 07:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I would also like a quick touch to archive gmail as well or atleast allow us to select multiple emails to send to all mail folder. Doing it one by one is tedious.
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
    Do your folders (labels) push, or do you have to manually sync? I can't get subfolders (below the level of the inbox) to push in my imap email client. Thanks.
    I can't get sub folders to sync either.
    Here's another really cool Gmail feature, it's one of my favorites. With Gmail filtering, you can suppress the notification on your Pre for certain messages.

So, here's how you do it.
    1. In the Gmail web interface, open the message.
    2. Click on "More Actions" then "Filter messages like these"
    3. Click "Next Step" then check "Skip the Inbox (Archive it)"

You're done! You can keep getting the message, but you won't be bothered with the notification on your Pre!

There are a couple of other ways of doing it, for help, click on "Help" in Gmail.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Any updates on sync to folders/labels ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast