1.    #1  
    I dont get many emails so push isnt such a big deal to me. I also have great battery life as well...so hotmail isnt an issue for me.

Why should I get gmail? What makes gmail so much better than hotmail. Why should I switch to gmail for my pre? I am considering switching.
    Last edited by AlwayzRight; 06/09/2009 at 01:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I don't think I have ever had a hotmail address but I absolutely love my gmail address. If I were you, try both...setting up a gmail address is free so you can try both and use whichever you prefer.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alundre View Post
    I don't think I have ever had a hotmail address but I absolutely love my gmail address. If I were you, try both...setting up a gmail address is free so you can try both and use whichever you prefer.
    You said it, its free just get it and try it?
    google will soon own our souls, might as well switch now.
    you don't have to switch... just add a gmail account with the same name you has as your hotmail if it's available. i have multiple gmail and hotmail accounts... i try and keep them the same so the only thing i'm changing when i'm giving out the address is @gmail.com or @hotmail.com. if you don't get many emails it really wont matter much
    You don't need to switch to Gmail; once I realized that Gmail will actually pull your new emails from Hotmail, you can use both from a single front-end (either from Gmail's site or from your Pre).

Under Gmail's site, go to Settings, Accounts, Get mail from other accounts. From there, enter your Hotmail username/password. Also note you can select to have Gmail delete the email from Hotmail once it sends it to your Gmail inbox (which I prefer) and you can also choose to send a reply from the account the message was sent to (ie: someone emails you at Hotmail and you reply from Gmail. Since it was sent to Hotmail, Gmail will show your reply address as Hotmail).
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Who can convince you? Who convinced you to get hotmail- and why do you need convincing to get gmail? If you like hotmail, and don't want push email on your Pre- stick with Hotmail.

However, if you want push email, want better spam detection, and (in my case) just on GP just don't like things by Microsoft, try gmail. Don't think you need convincing for that.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    You don't need to switch to Gmail; once I realized that Gmail will actually pull your new emails from Hotmail, you can use both from a single front-end (either from Gmail's site or from your Pre).

Under Gmail's site, go to Settings, Accounts, Get mail from other accounts. From there, enter your Hotmail username/password. Also note you can select to have Gmail delete the email from Hotmail once it sends it to your Gmail inbox (which I prefer) and you can also choose to send a reply from the account the message was sent to (ie: someone emails you at Hotmail and you reply from Gmail. Since it was sent to Hotmail, Gmail will show your reply address as Hotmail).
    It's better to forward your hotmail to gmail, as gmail only polls your hotmail address, so you lose out on push functionality. I think MS took away the forwarding functionality for newer hotmail accounts, but I've got work-around instructions somewhere that if I find, I can post.
    You can have gmail automaticly grab your hotmail emails. I did this and my battery life has SUBSTANTIALLY improved
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post

I agree. I didn't want to give up my hotmail account because I have used this email address for years. But I am thrilled with how easily I can access my hotmail email from my gmail account. Admittedly, this was more of an issue when I used my Centro.
  11.    #11  
    I did just sign up for google calender...how well does this work with gmail and the pre?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    I dont get many emails so push isnt such a big deal to me. I also have great battery life as well...so hotmail isnt an issue for me.

Why should I get gmail? What makes gmail so much better than hotmail. Why should I switch to gmail for my pre? I am considering switching.
    i'm a 21 year old girl and i know for a fact that gmail is more in sync with my life and my college even switched to it. i used to use hotmail and now i will never go back.
  13. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Gmail can check your hotmail for you, and put both your GMail account and your Hotmail into one inbox which you can set a tag for each account so itll show Hotmail next to the email so you know. You can also set Gmail up to allow you to send an email using your Hotmail account through Gmail. WOrks like a champ and is so awesome.

I was hesitant to switch from Yahoo to Gmail and I am SO glad I did. No one knows that I am not using Yahoo when I reply to my yahoo address through Gmail.
    Seem to get considerably less junk through Gmail vs. Hotmail. Gmail has a better spam filter. Gmail has never been down. Hotmail experiences outages wayy too much...and is just slowwwww in general. Having said that, I kept my Hotmail account because I've had it for so long and most people send email to that account.
    Dude - use whatever you want!
    Verizon
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I use gmail for several reasons:
    1. I NEVER receive any spam thanks to the amazing spam filter
    2. threaded conversations. you know when a group of friends has a conversation over email about when and where to go out? in a normal inbox you receive 40 emails for this because everyone just replies to all. with gmail, it just shows as one threaded conversation.
    3. fast and clean interface (which is easily skinnable too)

and a lot more small things.

plus hotmail just sucks in general. no forwarding? wtf! it only recently got pop3. does it have imap? microsoft is too restrictive for me, it's like an iphone but worse. gmail is the equivalent to the palm pre, but even better.

but hey, you should use whatever you want, just use them both for a while and see what you like best.