Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
    Pre definitely supports lookup from GAL (your corp Exchange directory). Unfortunately adding participants to meetings isn't possible when these are created on the Pre. The other thing that is driving me nucking futs is not being able to accept a meeting invite and suppress the invite being sent. Has anyone found a way to do this? Hell even crappy VersaMail let you Reply with comments, Reply w/o comments, or Not reply at all. I need this!!
    Great news re GAL lookup. Can I ask you to clarify your statement regarding responding to meeting requests

not being able to accept a meeting invite and suppress the invite being sent. Has anyone found a way to do this? Hell even crappy VersaMail let you Reply with comments, Reply w/o comments, or Not reply at all.
    Can you respond to the invite but just not control the response?
    Exactly - I can respond to the invite, but I only have 3 buttons - one to accept, one to say tentative, one to say decline. No matter which button you press, a response is sent out. Often I get meetings added to my calendar that I want to accept, but I don't want to reply with an email.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Phew ! that's better than not being able to accept at all. Thanks. For me responding with an email (even if it is blank) is not an issue, may I ask why it is for you??
    Generally I don't respond to company-wide meeting invites or other meetings with wide distribution lists, since the organizer really doesn't want to see 300 meeting responses. So I'd really like the ability to accept without replying. Similar situation for phone calls: no way to ignore.

As for adding participants, I think the issue here is that you can only create events, and not meeting requests. Meetings created elsewhere work though. Seems like it should be an easy fix. Hopefully we'll get updates soonish from Palm and we won't see a repeat of the 700p fiasco.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I am quite certain when you choose "accept" this is not seen by the person who requested the meeting but it is important to respond so that the tracking of attendee acceptance is captured. This enables the person who booked the meeting to see who did and did not accept. In Outlook you can choose the same three options but you get the choice of whether to send any message with the response. If you don't choose to send additional information the event is merely accepted and logged in the requestors meeting. It would be easy to test this and seems to make sense because we have assistants who book large meetings and never get all the responses popping up in their mailbox. However I think there is a way you can configure outlook so you don't see these.

It's something like "automatically process meeting requests"
    Thanks - I'm aware of the native functionality of Outlook, and don't have any issues with how it works on my PC. The issue is that not everyone is aware of or has activated Outlook's ability to automatically process meeting requests. I often receive meeting requests while out of the office, and on many occasions these meetings end up getting rescheduled 2 or 3 times. Typically the meeting changes are discussed on a phone call, and the meeting invite is updated as a formality for calendar tracking. Out of courtesy, I don't want to send the meeting organizer multiple emails confirming what they already know.

Yet another example is when I have organized a meeting and make a change, and I DO want to include some details in the updated meeting invite about why the change was made, etc. Guess what? You can't do this either. I created a meeting on my Pre, and sent the meeting invite to another account. I then updated the meeting time on the Pre, and while it kept the changes, it did not automatically send out an update to the meeting invitees nor did it even ask me if I wanted to send out an email regarding the changes. While you can tap the Participants icon and send an email to the meeting invitees, it is a generic email and is NOT tied to the meeting change! To me, this is completely unacceptable, and frankly very limited ActiveSync support which is LESS functionality than I had on my Palm Treo 650. I didn't expect the level of ActiveSync functionality I had on my Treo 700wx which uses Win Mobile 5.0, but I expected AT LEAST what I already had on my old Treos running Palm OS.

So far, I'm pretty disappointed with just how limited the EAS appears to be. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    I am quite certain when you choose "accept" this is not seen by the person who requested the meeting but it is important to respond so that the tracking of attendee acceptance is captured.
    And I wouldn't be so certain - the Pre DOES automatically send an email response, not just an update to tracking. I verified this by testing.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Thanks - I'm aware of the native functionality of Outlook, and don't have any issues with how it works on my PC. The issue is that not everyone is aware of or has activated Outlook's ability to automatically process meeting requests. I often receive meeting requests while out of the office, and on many occasions these meetings end up getting rescheduled 2 or 3 times. Typically the meeting changes are discussed on a phone call, and the meeting invite is updated as a formality for calendar tracking. Out of courtesy, I don't want to send the meeting organizer multiple emails confirming what they already know.

Yet another example is when I have organized a meeting and make a change, and I DO want to include some details in the updated meeting invite about why the change was made, etc. Guess what? You can't do this either. I created a meeting on my Pre, and sent the meeting invite to another account. I then updated the meeting time on the Pre, and while it kept the changes, it did not automatically send out an update to the meeting invitees nor did it even ask me if I wanted to send out an email regarding the changes. While you can tap the Participants icon and send an email to the meeting invitees, it is a generic email and is NOT tied to the meeting change! To me, this is completely unacceptable, and frankly very limited ActiveSync support which is LESS functionality than I had on my Palm Treo 650. I didn't expect the level of ActiveSync functionality I had on my Treo 700wx which uses Win Mobile 5.0, but I expected AT LEAST what I already had on my old Treos running Palm OS.

So far, I'm pretty disappointed with just how limited the EAS appears to be. :-(
    Hi
    I can clearly see your frustration and I am sure when I get the PRE as I live in Australia so no pPre for me yet :-( I will have the same frsutrations as I am a power email/calendar user like you.

However you should look upon these things are items that will be fixed and soon. Look at Palms announcement today about remote wipe and pin lock in EAS. Also you should take heart that as the company currently obviously understands EAS (your experience with the Treo) the fixes will be there.

Put yourself in my shoes, the only platform that does this very well is windoze mobile. I tried the iPhone and it has equally bad EAS integrartion. However unlike Palm, it has never responded to its vocal customers about these issues and stated it will fix them and I suspect there are similar limitations on the Nokia platform.

So apart from Windoze mobile Palm is your best best for deep EAS integration.

p.s. If users are not aware of the Outlook capabilities that can't really be blamed on the Pre.

p.p.s I think my last message regarding sending tracking updates was missunderstood. Try to respond to a meeting request from your Pre and see if the requestor gets an email in their inbox. You must ofcourse have the outlook client configured correctly. Can you also check in the calendar entry in outlook whether the acceptance was recorded in tracking.
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    p.p.s I think my last message regarding sending tracking updates was missunderstood. Try to respond to a meeting request from your Pre and see if the requestor gets an email in their inbox. You must ofcourse have the outlook client configured correctly. Can you also check in the calendar entry in outlook whether the acceptance was recorded in tracking.
    Sorry you don't have one yet, it really is a great phone and I'm sure in time it will be much stronger with EAS integration. It is frustrating, however, to have spent money on a new, state-of-the-art device only to find that your old phones actually worked better.

About your message - no misunderstanding here - I tested and the requestor does receive an email reply in their inbox, and the tracking is updated as well.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Thanks. So just to close this off. If the user configures outlook correctly they won't get flooded with acceptances and the Pre does send acceptances for tracking purposes. Great !

I have experienced lack of functionality on "state of the art" devices. In fact I suspect it happens every time. It comes with the territoru and I have got used to it but I am enthsed that Palm are responding so quickly and publicly. The fact that they know how this stuff works (works on Treo) leads me to strongly believe most issues will be resolved and the Pre will be the second best EAS integrated product behind windoze mobile
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Today I am not receiving any meeting request created in outlook, is this something that got broke in update 1.03? I believe that this did work before the update.
    Hi resturg - just tested this and I was able to create a calendar invite in Outlook on desktop and invite another alias of mine. The alias is synced via EAS on my Pre, and I did receive the invite and replied. BUT - I do not see the reply from Pre in my desktop Outlook, nor does it show up in my Sent emails on the Pre!! DAMN. OK, deep breath, stay calm. ;-) Going to try again and retest this...
    OK test 2 - changed the original test meeting invite time, and sent updated invite to Pre. Received on Pre, replied Yes, and still NO REPLY shows up in Outlook. Not in my Inbox, and not in the meeting attendee tracking either. As a test to make sure email is working OK, I sent a test email from Pre to Outlook, and BAM - email shows up in Outlook in less than 30 seconds.

DAMNIT PALM - Arrgh!! Can anyone else test this and provide alternative results?
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    When it failed I had email card active will both Gmail and Exchange merged. Next I closed the card and had some send another meeting request. I got that message and open email application via the notification message. I accepted the meeting and Pre said it was sending the response but the sender did get this message. The only thing I did was to press the green check button. I checked my Outlook sent message folder and that message was there.

We tried again this time email card was open for Outlook only and again I got the meeting request and accepted it, and again sender did not get my acknowledgement. This time the Outlook Sent folder did not have the acknowledgement message. It looks like we have the getting same problem.

The reason I have been testing this now is that the people with IPHONE with 3.0 are sending acknowledgement messages but are being sent on behalf of another attendee.
    For anyone else with this issue, I started a thread on the Palm support forums:

Pre fails to send meeting invite responses through EAS - started with 1.03 - ActiveSync - Palm Support Forums
    For anyone else with this issue, I started a thread on the Palm support forums:

Pre fails to send meeting invite responses through EAS - started with 1.03 - ActiveSync - Palm Support Forums
    I am definitely having this issue. Looks like I have to remember not to accept or reject meeting requests from my phone.
    when I get an invite in the inbox it shows up as text only - no obvious way to accept into calendar. How is everyone here accepting outlook and ical invites? What obvious step am I missing here?
    Thanks for your gentle suggestions .
    I can say for me this is why I still have to carry my Windows Mobile phone. I did a comparison between my Pre's EAS-related featureset and the iPhone and it seems similar with some items definitely missing compared to the iPhone. I understand that Windows Mobile will likely always be more "thorough" and exhaustive of a sync just because it's microsoft to microsoft, but the limitations on the Pre are really making the calendar unuseable for business.

My issues are:

1) can't add attendees to an invite - which means you can't schedule meetings.
    2) can't reply with a comment and only have limited options on replying to a meeting request. Need to be able to add comments, or not send comments, and propose new time.
    3) I had initiated a meeting on my desktop with attendees. I then tried changing the meeting time on my Pre and it never updated the attendees.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    This is almost no integration for the calendar function. It renders the function to a poor read only diary!

The net effect is you can't actually send or accept invites on your PRE!!

Palm, if you fix this ability to add attendees and sucessfully send and respond to calendar invites so that they actually appear in outlook then I will buy the PRE but unless you fix this I can't justify moving from my current phone (a 2 year old windows mobile device).

I don't expect total integration as in windows but not being able to add attendees, respond to meetings with text, modify meetings on the PRE and have them update in outlook, exchange is a complete must so that I can continue working efficiently
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    If someone sends me an Outlook meeting invite how do I accept, decline, etc. from my Pre?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast