Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    So, I have my own domain with a webhosting company... Oneworldhosting. Use them for hosting and for email addresses.

The account is currently pop3. Everyone keeps talking about IMAP.

Should I be switching the account to IMAP? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Matt
    POP3 is a pretty dumb standard. You have messages on the server, and the device has to pull them off of the server to get your email. Most POP3 clients give you the option to leave the messages on the server after downloading them, but it's almost like a separate pool in each email client you use. Changes in one client don't affect another client.

IMAP on the other hand is much smarter. Messages stay on the server and everything is synced back to it at all times. If you read a message on your phone, it'll be marked as read on every other client.

This is why for phone use (and in general as far as I'm concerned), IMAP is far superior. I assume that you don't want to do all of your email from your phone, that on occasion you might choose to email from your computer, and with IMAP you get the same email everywhere.

IMAP also allows for a form of Push email using IMAP Idle (just a command that the server needs to support- most do now) which means you get your emails on your phone as soon as they arrive in your inbox.
    I might add that since all folders/messages/etc. are stored on the server with IMAP, you can maintain the same folder hierarchy across multiple clients.

-n8
    Good summary from jhoff80 and natrixgli. For a more detailed explanation from the IMAP master and author of chattermail:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...p-vs-pop3.html
    Does IMAP always allow Push? I set up my school email with IMAP and have it set to immediate (push) sending of email. It seemed like it worked this weekend but I didnt check to see if it was immediate. Today, mail that arrived an hour ago to my laptop (IMAP account) still hasnt been sent as a notification to my phone. If I access the email program within the Pre, it will load all the messages up, but when it first enters the program the new messages arent already there.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcbandit View Post
    Does IMAP always allow Push? I set up my school email with IMAP and have it set to immediate (push) sending of email. It seemed like it worked this weekend but I didnt check to see if it was immediate. Today, mail that arrived an hour ago to my laptop (IMAP account) still hasnt been sent as a notification to my phone. If I access the email program within the Pre, it will load all the messages up, but when it first enters the program the new messages arent already there.
    It only allows it if your server supports IMAP Idle, which most support now, but your school might not.
    Check your Pre's email account setting:
    Open email app, email menu, Pref & Accts, select desired account, scroll down to Sync, set Get Email to "As items arrive"
    I see pandas.
    the problem with IMAP is that is typically wears the battery down fairly fast.. but if you setup IMAP but update on intervals instead of push.. I have found very good results.. in other words.. IMAP is MUCH better than pop
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"