1.    #1  
    Hey All,

If you're like me, you hate iTunes. It's a bloated, slow, and limited. With my iPod I absolutely love an application known as Sharepod. I thought I'd give it a go with my new Palm Pre and it works beautifully.

SharePod is a free application which is less than 3mb. You can put it directly on your Pre and run it from there once you've hooked your Pre up to your computer. It supports playlists, and it allows you to copy music or videos to and from any computer you hook your Pre up to.

Hook your Pre up to your computer and select either Mass Storage or Media Sync. If you have iTunes installed, you may prefer to use Mass Storage so that iTunes won't launch. Download Sharepod and extract it into a folder on your Pre.

Now open the folder and run SharePod.exe. It will then recognize your Pre as an iPod named Palm Pre. You can then copy music to and from your Pre, create playlists, backup the music on your Pre, ect. There's even a button to Eject iPod so you can safely remove your Pre.

It's even a media player.

Then when you're done, just hit Eject iPod and unplug the Pre from your computer. I know there's other third-party applications that can be used instead of iTunes, but SharePod is my favorite. It stays on the Pre so you can manage your music no matter what computer you hook your Pre up to.

Hope this little tutorial helps some of you.
    SharePod's one of the most helpful things that I have found on this site for the Pre. My own computer went down for the count earlier this week and I've had to try to move files from SD cards and jump drives to the Pre. Without being able to load non-work programs on my work computer I thought that I was stuck! With your program I was able to download SharePod.exe to a jump drive and install Sharepod directly to the Pre. This worked like a charm! Thanks, thanks, and thanks again for the shareware and through yet simple enough (for me) explanation. I'm good to go! If you develop more software with this ease of use and good interface I'm in for 2!
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    you shouldn't need sharepod, you should just be able to drag your mp3's over.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    You can also try:

Songbird - Open Source Music Player

Sync, Play & Send to BlackBerry, PSP, iPod, iPhone with doubleTwist

These are iTunes-like software without the bloat of the iTunes. Yes you can just drag and drop with USB mode, but these work with the Media Sync mode.
    Media Monkey works as well. It has the best tagging methods of any software especially for Album Art. MediaMonkey » Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I actually started a thread with possible alternatives:
    Media Sync Alternatives

I'll add Sharepod to the list.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    I actually started a thread with possible alternatives:
    Media Sync Alternatives

I'll add Sharepod to the list.
    Thanks. I didn't see your post. I just thought I'd make a quick and dirty tutorial for people. And I love the fact that SharePod travels with your iPod/Pre so you've always got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    you shouldn't need sharepod, you should just be able to drag your mp3's over.
    This works just fine. I use windows file explorer and USB Drive mode on the PRE. Copy all my music into a folder on my Pre called Music. Works like a charm. No need to install more stuff on either my Pre or my PC.
    Winamp. It really whips the llama's ***.

(and syncs podcasts and media)
    You can also use Windows Media Player. Just connect in USB mode and setup the Pre in windows media player. Good thing about this is you can drag songs over to your Pre "playlist" when the phone isnt plugged in and just sync it later.
    I have tons of wma files, will these alternatives convert them so that the pre will be able to play them. I did try itunes and it converted them over to mp3, just wondering if anything else will do the same. Also can you sync movies up too?
  12.    #12  
    I don't believe SharePod will convert, but there's plenty of free programs out there which do that. There's even web based converters such as Zamzar - Free online file conversion
    Nothing beats dBpoweramp Music Converter for conversion. Especially when running it in batch mode.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Wow I never knew anybody bought the Lonely Island.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by grydlok View Post
    Wow I never knew anybody bought the Lonely Island.
    Who said anything about it being bought?
    My problem is the album art filling up the photo app with a separate file for each album. Will any of these methods alleviate this issue.