Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been searching the web and forums to see if there is yet a way to transfer/sync everything, including Tasks, from my old Treo 755 to the new Pre. I haven't found anything yet that seems to be able to do this. Is there an app. that will let me sync ALL my data with the Pre?
    No. The Data Transfer Assistant will do contacts and calendars. Everything else you'll have to manually retype (reason enough to take care of the stuff on your Tasks list, eh?).
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Unbelievable. Coming from a company that built one of the best, if not THE best PIM task manager out of the box with the Treo's, how could they possibly think this would blow over just fine with folks?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    No. The Data Transfer Assistant will do contacts and calendars. Everything else you'll have to manually retype (reason enough to take care of the stuff on your Tasks list, eh?).
    How true! But I have completed tasks that are kept on the phone so I have a history of completing a variety of services for clients, and that I need to retrieve regularly. I can do this with the Treo as it syncs those tasks. Hopefully, the Pre can/will be able to do this, too.
    Chapura has announcements up for Pre versions of PocketMirror and Echo. I'm awaiting a response from them on whether or there are plans for Tasks and Notes or, even better, if they are planning a Pre version of KeySuite. I'll post back if they respond.
    You could sync tasks to Outlook and if you have an Exchange server, those would transfer over to the Pre. But, since you're asking this question, I'm assuming that you don't have an Exchange server. There must be a way to perform some csv magic to get them transferred.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    yep. I find it so odd and have posted about it a few times. It's like the Rubes' Apple philosophy sunk too deep into Palm's psyche at the expense of simple user functionality that was part of the backbone of Palm's PIM for the 13yrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Unbelievable. Coming from a company that built one of the best, if not THE best PIM task manager out of the box with the Treo's, how could they possibly think this would blow over just fine with folks?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodWulf View Post
    Chapura has announcements up for Pre versions of PocketMirror and Echo. I'm awaiting a response from them on whether or there are plans for Tasks and Notes or, even better, if they are planning a Pre version of KeySuite. I'll post back if they respond.
    It appears that neither of those apps will do anything with Tasks. Here's a bit of text from their Echo and PocketMirror blurbs:
    "transfers essential information between the Palm Desktop Date Book and Address Book and the corresponding Pre applications".

Unless I'm missing something there, please correct me if I am.
    Thanks again,
    Ken

EDIT: I reread your post and see that you have a question in to them about Tasks, etc. I sure would appreciate an update if/when you hear from them
  9.    #9  
    This issue is possibly what will cause me to return the Pre and continue with the 755. I sure hope a 3rd party app. comes along or is announced within the 30 day return period...
    My tasks and memos all synced over when I used the data transfer program. It took 2 tries....but it worked!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    My tasks and memos all synced over when I used the data transfer program. It took 2 tries....but it worked!
    But now what happens to those tasks and memos?
    They stay on your Pre and nowhere else. Right?
    No syncing to desktop nor the cloud. Right?

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    The only thing 2 tries did for me was produce duplicate contacts. Tasks and memos never came over. At least for me, they don't come over via Exchange sync either, even though calendar and contacts sync OK.

Chapura's description of the Pre version of Pocket Mirror suggests that it won't do tasks and memos. It's almost as if those two functions on the Pre are hermetically sealed from the rest of the world.

P.S. The MarkSpace Missing Sync app that syncs Mac and Pre also seems to do calendar and contacts, but not tasks and memos. Maybe the problem is missing functionality in Synchronicity that we can hope to see down the road?
    Last edited by opensecret; 06/08/2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Postscript:
    Companion Link
    works with Outlook, as well as Business Contact Manager ( BCM )

thx Opensecret for correction!

EDIT: works with Outlook [though Google]...
    Last edited by PrinceAlbert; 06/08/2009 at 01:03 PM.
    I see pandas.
    Because they're not going after people like you. They're going after the same crowed that flocked to the iPhone. Media, fun and games, with basic organizational stuff thrown in. But definitely not the heavy duty PIM user that got Palm started.

There's a lot more money to be made selling to 'tweens, teens and 20 somethings than to business users.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I'm a big fan of Remember the Milk for tasks. They have apps which sync with all of the other main smartphones. Hopefully they will do and app for the Pre.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Companion Link
    Companion Link works via Google, which means primarily calendar and contacts (for now, anyway), but according to the web site, it can sync tasks into the Google calendar, and sync for notes is 'coming.'
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    I'm a big fan of Remember the Milk for tasks. They have apps which sync with all of the other main smartphones. Hopefully they will do and app for the Pre.
    Login - Remember The Milk

Should work good with the Pre's Webkit browser... and of course it syncs too.
    Quote Originally Posted by opensecret View Post
    Companion Link works via Google, which means primarily calendar and contacts (for now, anyway), but according to the web site, it can sync tasks into the Google calendar, and sync for notes is 'coming.'
    yes, tasks do in fact sync too.
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Even better than the mobile version, try the iphone web version of Remember the Milk at Login - Remember The Milk

It requires a Pro account but it looks nice....15 day trial
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Companion Link

thx Opensecret for correction!

EDIT: works with Outlook [though Google]...
    It seems Companion Link will sync tasks, into Google Calendar. This is from their website:
    "Tasks syncs to your Google calendar"

I am not sure how this would work, but I suspect that if you did not complete a task on the day it was scheduled into Google Calendar, it would not continue to show 'uncompleted' and would 'disappear' the next day. It probably will not allow you to mark it 'completed' either.

As someone else said in this thread, the Pre appears to be aimed at a non-business oriented demographic, unfortunately.

The search for a 3rd party app. continues...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast