1.    #1  
    Not quite this is happening but for some reason I can't send email from my device. I have my Gmail account setup and I can receive mail perfectly fine. However, when I try to send an email I get an error in the notification bar saying "Email Application Alert" Error sending "(subject name)".

Can somebody post their Gmail's Outgoing Mail Server data?
    Last edited by mrjcarter; 06/07/2009 at 01:56 PM.
  2.    #2  
    bump
    Mine did that when I when I first set up g-mail.. it would recieve e-mail but I couldn't send anything. I went back and entered the password again and from that point it was fine.

I also did the update about the same time hoping that would solve my problem but no joy.

Check your password...
    Palm Pre
    i'm having the same issue too! with not just gmail but every other email acct. i just started a thread exactly like yours earlier too. i think it may have something to do with the pre not being able to hold down a decent signal and so the email gets stuck in this endless loop. when i switch to wi-fi it seems to go away. i hope this is a software issue because my old 700p which is still in service doesn't seem to have the same issues.

there are also a couple of other factors that i've notice... those with the same issues can you answer some questions to see if there's a pattern?

1) are you seeing the error message with EVERY email you try to send? or just those with an attachment? the pictures taken with the pre's camera is about 1.4MB each, which is much larger than the picture my old 700p takes. i was never able to send images larger than about 500k on the 700p so i do wonder now if there's something in sprint's network that does not let large attachment go through.

2) are you seeing the error message with any other email account other than gmail? if so list them here.

3) take a look at your signals and see if there's a lot of fluctuation between Ev, 1x, and R. i think there's something wonky going on with the pre's antenna because i've never had signal issues with the 700p at my house and now i am with the pre.
  5.    #5  
    I'm having these problems only when connected to WiFi now. I spoke with sprint and they "reset my network connection" and that fixed my EvDO issue.

1) are you seeing the error message with EVERY email you try to send?
    yup, via WiFi

2) are you seeing the error message with any other email account other than gmail?
    only have a gmail account

3) take a look at your signals and see if there's a lot of fluctuation between Ev, 1x, and R.
    I have great signal in my appt, both to sprint and my wireless network
    Last edited by mrjcarter; 06/07/2009 at 04:00 PM.
    can you give more details about the "reset my network connection" ? how do i do that? thx.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    can you give more details about the "reset my network connection" ? how do i do that? thx.
    Sorry about that. The reason I was so general in explaining it is because it's something on Sprint side, you have to call and speak to a rep and get them to do it. It's not anything you do physically on your phone.

BTW can you post your Gmail settings? (Incoming and Outgoing Mail Server settings)
    Mail Type: IMAP

Incoming Mail Server: imap.gmail.com
    Username: your.email@gmail.com
    Port#: 993
    Encryption: SSL

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.gmail.com
    Port#: 465
    Encryption: SSL
    does anyone know how to get rid of the error sending message that continues to pop up? i have had no luck.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by xblade50 View Post
    does anyone know how to get rid of the error sending message that continues to pop up? i have had no luck.
    I'm still looking for the answer. Is your problem occuring both over wifi and evdo?

If it's just evdo try giving Sprint a call and ask them to reset your network connection. That got it working for me.

Over wifi is still a problem though...
  11.    #11  
    Ok so now I'm starting to think it has something to do with Gmail. Here's why:

I loaded up my old msn email on my pre and sent an email to my gmail account through wifi... Sent instantly. Received instantly.

When I try and do the opposite, send an email from gmail to msn, I get the error message.
  12.    #12  
    Can anybody confirm that they can send email's with gmail over wifi?
  13.    #13  
    OK well I figured it out. For me the issue was my router. I forgot it was on lock down mode. Basically I had to go in there and forward the smtp port 465.

All is well with the Pre now.
    I am getting this message with a non-gmail account. I set it up fine, and got my e-mail but when I am using the same exact settings as my laptop I can't send an e-mail.

I think there is some kind of authentication on the account that the pre isn't doing the same. I can send fine from my laptop so its not the network's issue (happens on EVDO and Wi-Fi too).

I have to delete the account to get the messages to stop alerting me. Even if you remove the sent mail from the outgoing it keeps bouncing the alert back (Possible bug there). I wish it had more detailed error messages or a log somewhere. I am pretty technical and set up e-mail servers for work quite often but its not giving me much to go by.
    I am also getting the error in an IMAP non-Gmail account. The error pops up on the bottom of the screen that reads:
    Email Application Alert
    Error sending "subject name"

However, the email does go through okay but I still get the error message which I have to go in and clear- very annoying.

Let me know if anyone found a solution to this problem.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I didn't like the "delete and re-enter your email information" solution at all and I believe I found a proper solution to the "Error sending mail" problem and made a post about it with some illustrations that Pre users will hopefully find helpful and perhaps Palm will notice and fix the problem.

The post is here: How To Fix Palm Pre's "Error Sending Mail" Problem | beer planet