Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is anyone else having problem sending emails from your Pre? My emails keep getting stuck in the Outbox and I keep getting the notification at the bottom of the screen that says "Email Application Alert. Error sending Sent from AccountNameHere"

I'm beginning to think that this is a network issue of some sort, because it seems to be happening to my gmail, yahoo, and personal (own domain) IMAP accounts.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this please advise. thx.
    BUMP - I'm having the same problem..
    same here. i initially had smtp settings wrong. after i fixed them, new emails are sent perfectly. but the emails in the outbox from before i fixed the smtp settings still won't leave. and i can't re-edit them. and i can't forward or reply. definitely buggy.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Every time I send a message, i have to change my outgoing settings... from SSL or No Encryption. PITA.
    I got the same problem also. It started Monday despite successfully sending e-mails on Saturday and Sunday?

I continue getting the same error message ""Email Application Alert. Error sending Sent from AccountNameHere" despite deleting that same message from the outbox!

Is there a way to clear out that alert or Should we just wait it out?
    DaleDC
  6.    #6  
    Try calling customer support and ask them to reset your network connection. That, and a full hard reset and recreating the email acc goteverything working for me.
    Great! Deleting that e-mail account off my Pre and adding it back did the trick!
    I didn't even have to call Sprint to reset the network connection or even reset the phone!

Thanks un_designer!

Original Problem:
    "Is anyone else having problem sending emails from your Pre? My emails keep getting stuck in the Outbox and I keep getting the notification at the bottom of the screen that says "Email Application Alert. Error sending Sent from AccountNameHere"
    DaleDC
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I too have the Pre email, outbound smtp problem (using Sprint's smtp server)

Since yesterday afternoon, I've spoken to three different techs at Sprint and none of them have been able to solve this problem. They're not even sure if authentication is needed!

Server is smtp.sprintpcs.com and I'm using the username found under my Device Info -> More Info -> NAI.

Last nite, the tech showed me how to set my smtp password using sprint's web site, but that didn't help. This morning I even tried deleting the email account completely on the Pre and entering in fresh account info, but this too has failed.

Randy --a long time palm phone user.
    Its just sprint this has happend to all of my phones from them and I bassically just stopped trying to send emails with the phone. I would fix it or have a tech person fix it and then 5 days later it wouldn't work again. Sprint is terrible when it comes to service, between this and not having reception at my apartment and work is very annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99 View Post
    I too have the Pre email, outbound smtp problem (using Sprint's smtp server)

Since yesterday afternoon, I've spoken to three different techs at Sprint and none of them have been able to solve this problem. They're not even sure if authentication is needed!

Server is smtp.sprintpcs.com and I'm using the username found under my Device Info -> More Info -> NAI.

Last nite, the tech showed me how to set my smtp password using sprint's web site, but that didn't help. This morning I even tried deleting the email account completely on the Pre and entering in fresh account info, but this too has failed.

Randy --a long time palm phone user.
    Hi there,
    I thought Sprint ended their SprintPCS mail in 12/2008? Therefore, their SMTP at sprintpcs.com shouldn't be active anymore?

http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...08-idiots.html

If I'm right, you'll have to set-up another email account of your choosing, I guess GMail would be good and use their pop/smtp mail settings. I use my (non-gmail) domain's own pop/smtp mail settings and it works just fine.
    DaleDC
  11.    #11  
    you're welcome. glad it worked.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Update on my saga...

Just had a long call with a Sprint Business Tech who conferenced-in a Palm Tech:

Palm thinks the Sprint outbound SMTP server is no more... Sprint Business insists that the decommissioning was for *inbound* only.. she even asked someone else who confirmed that Sprint's *outbound* SMTP is still up. I just checked using telnet on my PC and confirmed that it is in fact up & running. You can try this yourself--> telnet smtp.sprintpcs.com 25 (google the instructions for "command line smtp test")

Finally, we tried a hard reset on the pre... and logged into my existing profile. Then I noticed something interesting! The username that was pulled down into this email account was the username set up last night using Sprint's Web site, and not the NAI found on the Pre. So, this made us think why others have reported a reset fixed the problem. (but it didn't... my sprint web logon is a subset of my NAI... maybe it just got truncated when it pulled down??)

Anyway, after all that, outbound SMTP still fails using smtp.sprintpcs.com

I was issued a Palm Service Request# and was promissed a call back from Palm w/in 48 hours.

Randy
  13.    #13  
    randy which email service are you using, that you're using sprint's SMTP server? gmail and yahoo mail both have their own smtp server that you can/should use. if you're using your own server, then you can use your own SMTP server. unless i'm missing something here... there's really no reason you should be tied to sprint's SMTP server for sending emails. i have 2 gmail, 2 yahoo, and 1 personal mail acct using 3 different SMTP servers and they all work fine. good luck w/your issue... pls report back when you get a solution so we'll all learn from it.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Well actually, our company has it's own SMTP server (using authentication & no encryption) that I want to relay through... but it doesn't work on the Pre! So I tried Sprint's and it fails too. I figured having them trouble shoot on their own server would keep them from pointing any blame in the direction of my server.

Funny, this already worked as the Palm rep earlier tried to blame it on Sprint's smtp server, and then the Sprint Rep went and checked, came back and informed Palm that it was in fact working fine on other phones.

Randy
    Last edited by Randy99; 06/10/2009 at 05:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Dang! I just deleted, then re-created a virgin email account using my company's smtp server settings and now mail sends OK!

Me thinks Palm has a problem with *changes* to account preferences/settings... I know for certain that I edited this email account earlier and the settings were 100% correct after editing. In other words, I started with Sprint's smtp server, and when it failed (with various usernames & passwords), I then tried my company's smtp server settings... all by editing, not starting anew. And yes, I tried composing a new message after each smtp setting change.

AAARRRGGG
    Last edited by Randy99; 06/10/2009 at 06:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    wow... well at least I'm not the only one having issues....

I have both a gmail account as well as a pop account at my local ISP.

My local ISP doesn't allow me to use the SMTP server if I am not on their network. I thought I could use smtp.sprintpcs.com but after trying for an afternoon to get a successful login, I gave up. Apparently it is your phone number as a username and your password you have to setup in the email section of you mysprint page. I think it worked once, but never again after that.

I ended up using gmail's smtp server gmail.smtp.com and it works great now.

As it was mentioned before this part of the pre does seem to be a little buggy. I found that if I went in to account settings by clicking on the error message in my outbox it would never actually save my account settings. I had to go into account settings from the menu in the upper left.

Another bug I found was that if I would compose and send an email with bas smtp settings and then went in to delete it out of the outbox I would still get an error about that message even after I put in the correct account settings... odd... The only way I could fix that was to blow away that account and start from scratch

Good luck.. I recommend giving up on the sprint smtp server...

flips
    THIS IS HOW I FIXED IT FOR THE OUTGOING SERVER PROBLEM....

when set up my yahoo email it wouldnt store the out going password in there. so what i figured out was to turn off authencation off and back out and it should give u a prefs saved. Then go back in and turn it back on and put your username and password in, for yahoo its your email address and password. then back out and it should give you the saved prefs again. Your out going email should work now. Hope this helps for everyone..
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I just figured out the problem before finding this and my results are similar to jamiespeck's findings. I made a post about the solution with some illustrations that Pre users will hopefully find helpful and perhaps Palm will notice and fix the problem.

The post is here: How To Fix Palm Pre's "Error Sending Mail" Problem | beer planet
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I just started getting this error sending mail problem with my hotmail account. I did a full erase reset, and the hotmail account worked for a day then reverted back to the error problem. I then deleted the hotmail account from the pre and can work fine with gmail, but I want my hotmail. Now the pre wont let me add my hotmail account. I'll try again later today. Is hotmail configurable as IMAP? Don't I want all my email to be authenticated and use SSL? I ask these questions because those are features on the email setup screen that has the add account button greyed out, not letting me complete adding the hotmail account to the Pre.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Ihad no problem setting up my hotmail account when wifi is tuned off. I also ca n send mail with wifi off; therefir, I think the problem is with using wifi on my home wifi router.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast