Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Is there a way to erase multiple contacts? The Palm Data Transfer app moved my desktop contacts/calendar to the Palm Profile but after syncing with Google then most of that info is redundant and I have a mashup of several hundred unnecessary duplicates. I want to start from scratch but even after a Full/Partial erase the Palm Profile restores all my unwanted contacts.

BTW, I'm really questioning the concept of the Palm Profile. Syncing with google offers a web interface for managing data, provides backup and offers conduits for syncing to other PIM's. But the Palm Profile has no interface other than your phone so you're essentially syncing to a hidden cloud file that doesn't do much of anything.

Palm Profile Sync
    Pre ---> Palm Profile Backup File (hidden in cloud)

Google Sync
    Pre <---> Google Contacts/Calendar

---My Setup---
    Google Sync with conduit that also syncs to multiple sources
    Pre <-> Google Contacts/Cal <-> Desktop <-> Yahoo <-> Plaxo <-> Wife's Desktop

UPDATE:
    Okay, I figured it out.

HOW TO CLEAR PALM PROFILE

Step 1:
    -Open Backup app on Pre and flip switch to "Off"
    -Click "Turn Off and Erase Backup"

This will erase the backup on your online profile, but it still doesn't erase the Palm Profile info you have on the phone (Contacts/Calendar). So you need to do an Palm Pre Erase.

Step 2:
    -Open Device Info
    - Click "Reset Options" on bottom
    - Click "Partial Erase"

Phone will reboot (takes several minutes). This will erase your contact/calendar info on the Pre, but all apps and app settings remained for me.

Now your Palm Profile is clear and you can click to Google or whatever else you are using to sync up.
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/11/2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Updated with instructions
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    Synergy has worked great for me, no duplicate calendar entries, etc. If you want to delete a multiple contact, tap on the contact. Then tap the pic icon, it shows where it got the contact from. If you want to deleted one (say gmail), just swipe the gmail to the right, and it gives you the option to delete.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I love how when typing in names of people to address an email to, it also does an Exchange global address lookup so those names start popping up too. On my WM device, I had to actually go and search the company directory.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Still stuck with this problem. Palm Profile has a hundreds of contacts/calendar events that I don't want on my phone. Doing the full/partial resets clears the phone but when i log in to palm profile it just restores them all since they're "backed up" to the profile.

I just want to erase my entire palm profile so has anyone figured a way to clear it other than manually deleting each entry on the Pre? (Or how about actually merging all contact books into one so you only have one address book to worry about)
    I'm beginning to sound like that old guy "Hey, get off my lawn" everytime I bring this up, but... does the Pre backup the contact picture ID? I'm holding on adding more pictures to my contacts with the fear that they are not being backed up and I'll have to re-do this whole thing again.

I checked Google Contacts and not only are the pictures not with the contacts, it only shows 23 contacts -as opposed to the (at least) 100 contacts I have under the Google profile?

Can you say Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I would like to know how to clear the Palm profile as well for when I switch to Outlook syncing.
  7. yoe
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I love Synergy in General, although it doesn't work too well with my Google account. I have to sync ask the pre to sync manually or wait a number of hours to actually get an automatic cloud sync.

As for the images, I don't recommend adding them on the Pre cause that doesn't sync back to google. Instead - add them to Google. Gmail will save them forever and they'll also appear on your Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoe View Post
    As for the images, I don't recommend adding them on the Pre cause that doesn't sync back to google. Instead - add them to Google. Gmail will save them forever and they'll also appear on your Pre.
    Wait, are you serious? So if I add my pictures to a contact in Google Contacts, it'll synch with the Pre -but not vice-versa (ie: from the Pre to Google Contacts)?

I'll give it a quick test now, if that's the case, I have a long task ahead of me...
    For me synergy has been very impressive. I haven't yet seen duplicate contacts. Synergy has been smart enough to link any contacts I have from multiple sources.
    I don't like it. I just installed chapurra and that's awesome, it's wireless syncing with Outlook.
    Hmm... just added a new contact, added a picture (all within Google Contact's site) and saved it. On my Pre, under Contacts, I hit "Sync Now" (under Preferences & Accounts) and I noticed the synch was pretty fast (around 10 seconds).

At first, the new contact didn't show up, but later on, it did eventually sync up all the details, which is great news!
    I haven't even used the synergy yet...im scared that ill get multiple and unwanted contacts.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I love the synergy. I had a few duplicates between my contacts and facebook, but that was because I spelled the names wrong (merely correcting the spelling of the names caused them to automatically link properly).

I created a google calendar for my son's basketball team and added an ical subscription on my PC. They automatically showed up on my Pre, albeit after a few hours.

I don't know anybody with IM accounts, so I don't use that.
    the only issue, so far, with synergy is that some of the contacts have the same email or phone # a couple of times.

but is this googles fault?

i dont have many contacts, but should have less if google didnt have to put an emaill addresses in your contacts.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I followed Palm's instructions for synching my calendar from Palm Desktop (export, import into iCal, run the palm data transfer, wait for synergy...). I ended up with three copies of each event! This is for thousands of events going back 10 years...

Can I delete all my new profile calendar entrees, and somehow try again? Or use the new Missing Sync?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    I am personally waiting for individual sync for facebook contacts. I don't want every facebook contact in my pre
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    I don't like it. I just installed chapurra and that's awesome, it's wireless syncing with Outlook.
    If i do not ever set up Google or Facebook on the Pre and just use the Chapura app can I keep the device clean of all that. I don't have the Pre yet and things like this will help me make up my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    I am personally waiting for individual sync for facebook contacts. I don't want every facebook contact in my pre
    being new to the whole facebook thing, i have a question.

arent those ppl on your contacts because you accepted them as a friend? if you dont want them on your phone, why not kick them off your friends list?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Love it
    There is no spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    being new to the whole facebook thing, i have a question.

arent those ppl on your contacts because you accepted them as a friend? if you dont want them on your phone, why not kick them off your friends list?
    Very good question indeed. If you don't want to have their contact info, then why are they your "friends"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast