Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    So I haven't bought a Pre yet but have been watching it with much anticipation. My major hangup with the device is that I definitely do not want to backup my information to the Palm Profile service. Call me old school but I've got a lot of sensitive info on my phone and there is no way I am going to back it up to, what I consider to be, an untrusted entity. As much as I really like the Synergy concept, my data can only be backed up to a source that I control (and trust).

Are there any other options to have the phone backup to either a server on my own network or another Internet destination that I control?
    What are you hiding?

Lol seriously though, I don't believe there is a way around the Palm profile setup. I don't see what the big deal is, really. All you do is enter your email address. They told me at the Sprint Store that it was for giving you access to services like automatic updates, backup your data, and some other things.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    What are you hiding?

Lol seriously though, I don't believe there is a way around the Palm profile setup. I don't see what the big deal is, really. All you do is enter your email address. They told me at the Sprint Store that it was for giving you access to services like automatic updates, backup your data, and some other things.
    "LOL seriously though" I feel the same way as the original poster and think it is a poor decision on Palm to not incorporate a direct sync to Outlook and also to Vista 64 bit.

"What are you hiding" You must not know much about privacy or dont care but, the majority of people do not want to trust their sensitive data to a 3rd party provider. After 15 years, two businesses, and loads of personal contacts I want to control my data not give the control to Google etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg View Post
    Are there any other options to have the phone backup to either a server on my own network or another Internet destination that I control?
    When available, would this give you what you are looking for?

http://www.precentral.net/missing-sync-come-palm-pre
    Quote Originally Posted by planetbrian View Post
    You must not know much about privacy or dont care but, the majority of people do not want to trust their sensitive data to a 3rd party provider.
    Actually, I think it's a very small minority that is afraid to setup a Palm profile. I still don't see what the big deal is. But then again, I'm just a 23 y/o college kid w/o much "sensitive data" to be concerned about. I'd ask you guys what exactly is so sensitive about your data, but that might be construed as a privacy violation.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdude View Post
    When available, would this give you what you are looking for?

http://www.precentral.net/missing-sync-come-palm-pre
    He will still need to create a Palm profile. It is required.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    What do we have a bunch of priests buying pre's now?
    Did they get a discount?
    Quote Originally Posted by planetbrian View Post
    "LOL seriously though" I feel the same way as the original poster and think it is a poor decision on Palm to not incorporate a direct sync to Outlook and also to Vista 64 bit.

"What are you hiding" You must not know much about privacy or dont care but, the majority of people do not want to trust their sensitive data to a 3rd party provider. After 15 years, two businesses, and loads of personal contacts I want to control my data not give the control to Google etc....
    Maybe we should start using rotary phones again too.

This phone has been marketed from the start as a "cloud" phone. Nothing has changed in that regard.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I feel the same way as the original poster too. I want my data backed up in a way I can control. If it's not in my control, it's encrypted.

Things I worry about are if Palm's servers are ever breached, will they have any liability? What about a court subpoena? Will they roll over and give anyone all my info or will I receive enough notice to challenge access to my data?

The Palm profile is nice in a lot of ways but dangerous in many ways too.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Yes, consider it being responsible to not sync my contacts, calendar, or other sensitive info with a 3rd party provider. Without a secure backup option, the Pre is pretty much dead to me unfortunately.....

Being a multiple business owner with personal, business, and government related info, it would be irresponsible to trust the security of certain information to Palm Profile. Now I could definitely go for a local WiFi option where it syncs via LAN to a local PC or via encrypted link to an encrypted data storage facility (again under my control).

I would also think that some of you should also be concerned about this type of info transmission. Is it transmitted securely to Palm Profile to begin with? How does Palm ensure that the data is not available to employees that are unhappy and/or vindictive about personal data theft? What about protection from hackers or data theives? Do you include your home address, the home address of others, SS#'s, credit info, or anything else that you wouldn't want posted in the newspaper? Then frankly, Palm Profile probably shouldn't be a good option for you either. It is just asking for trouble.....

Another option is to simply not include anything deemed sensitive on the device but that would defeat the purpose of part of the device for me. Yeah they've marketed it as a cloud based product, that is all fine and good. The reality is that I still value my privacy with data and information and this particular cloud solution doesn't address any of these needs. While it's an interesting step forward, the total solution needs more thought for protecting my info.
    Last edited by mattmcg; 06/07/2009 at 04:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg View Post
    What about protection from hackers or data theives? Do you include your home address, the home address of others, SS#'s, credit info, or anything else that you wouldn't want posted in the newspaper? Then frankly, Palm Profile probably shouldn't be a good option for you either. It is just asking for trouble.....

Another option is to simply not include anything deemed sensitive on the device but that would defeat the purpose of part of the device for me. Yeah they've marketed it as a cloud based product, that is all fine and good. The reality is that I still value my privacy with data and information and this particular cloud solution doesn't address any of these needs. While it's an interesting step forward, the total solution needs more thought for protecting my info.
    I sure hope you don't keep unencrypted social security numbers and other such sensitive data in your contacts or notes or other areas of your phone. That is why there are programs such as SplashID. What phone, encryption program and remote wipe solution do you currently use? Considering the fact that this phone was promoted as a cloud-connected device, and has limited EAS support, and is a v1.0 product, you should not expect it or even the iPhone to be an appropriate product for your use.
    I keep notes of conversations with clients in my Palm Desktop. Sadly, many of my clients come to me because they have not done things properly in the past. This information is legally privileged. I can't risk storing this information in the internet.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Go into Backup & turn it off. It's a switch. You'll still need the profile, which is basically your email address, but it won't contain any data.
    - Fushigi
    I have my reservations about this issue also and would prefer not to have my life on someone else website or server "google, palm". I think that it is absurd that i can back up my data remotely but cannot do so on my own computer. Actually it is not absurd, it is totally retarded.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redemption View Post
    I have my reservations about this issue also and would prefer not to have my life on someone else website or server "google, palm". I think that it is absurd that i can back up my data remotely but cannot do so on my own computer. Actually it is not absurd, it is totally retarded.
    If you'll just be a little patient, there will be multiple third party applications to sync your contacts from your PC to your Pre. See the announcement of Chapura Pocket Mirror for the Pre - "Coming Soon" at chapura.com

This is the same company that provided sync for the Treo.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Beckerdave, that sounds most promising.......

So the question I'd have, and some of you current Pre owners can surely answer this, is can you leave Bluetooth, WiFi, EVDO for email, and moderate usage of the phone to make Synergy totally automatic and still expect the battery to last throughout the day? If the Synergy function connects you to the cloud (with multiple options for which 'cloud' you utilize, in the chapura case, it would be my local PC with wifi), for a business user it should be able to last through the day.