Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I'm havin problems getting Gmail to work with IMAP on my pre.

I setup the IMAP the same way I set it up in Outlook Express (which works) but my pre always says "Error username or password is not correct" when I try to sign in.

Anyone else with similar issues?

Mail Type - IMAP
    Email address - myaddress @g mail.com
    incomming mail server - imap.gmail.com
    username - myaddress @g mail.com
    password - same password I use at ww w. gmail.com and in OE
    Use SSL encryption
    Port 993
    OUtgoing Mail Server - smtp.gmail.com
    password - same password
    Use SSL encryption
    Port 465

^^ these are my settings...which are detailed here:
    ht tp mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=75726

Anyone else having problems like this?
    ideas?
    solutions?

Note, the addresses/links are broken because the forums won't allow me to post them until 10 posts
    i put in my user name, my password, and it just worked.
    i have the same problem with yahoo Imap.....get the "authentication" message...yet all info is correct..

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kinar View Post

I setup the IMAP the same way I set it up in Outlook Express (which works) but my pre always says "Error username or password is not correct" when I try to sign in.

Mail Type - IMAP
    Email address - myaddress @g mail.com
    incomming mail server - imap.gmail.com
    password - same password I use at ww w. gmail.com and in OE
    Use SSL encryption
    Port 993
    OUtgoing Mail Server - smtp.gmail.com
    password - same password
    Use SSL encryption
    Port 465

^^ these are my settings...which are detailed here:
    ht tp mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=75726

Anyone else having problems like this?
    ideas?
    solutions?

Note, the addresses/links are broken because the forums won't allow me to post them until 10 posts
    Don't have a pre yet...but try using port 587 and check the authentication box in the outgoing server settings section. And double check your password.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinar View Post

After playing around with it, here's how I got mine to work:

Mail Type - IMAP
    Email address - myaddress @gmail.com
    incoming mail server - imap.gmail.com
    username - myaddress @gmail.com
    password - my password
    Use SSL encryption
    Port 993
    Outgoing Mail Server - smtp.gmail.com
    use authentication - on
    username - myaddress @gmail.com
    password - same password
    Use SSL encryption
    Port 465
    the problem is for older gmail users. If you have a >8 digit password you will get this error. Vintage gmail accounts allowed 6 letter passwords, now gmail requires 8 and in the pre if your password is less it will error till the cows come home.

I found this out when i signed up a gmail and a google aps account, the only diffrence was the password length. I changed my old password to more then 8 digits and volia. Working.
    Quote Originally Posted by loosenut81 View Post
    the problem is for older gmail users. If you have a >8 digit password you will get this error. Vintage gmail accounts allowed 6 letter passwords, now gmail requires 8 and in the pre if your password is less it will error till the cows come home.

I found this out when i signed up a gmail and a google aps account, the only diffrence was the password length. I changed my old password to more then 8 digits and volia. Working.
    wow.. this fixed my problem.thank you
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    hmm...I do have an older gmail account (original invite) but my password is 10characters...I'll change it anyway just to make sure...
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

It accepted my 7-character password. Now, this is the original profile e-mail account I set up and have not done add'l accounts yet.
    the problem is for older gmail users. If you have a >8 digit password you will get this error.
    Not true. My password is greater than 8 digits and it works just fine.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    took me a while to figure out howto change my gmail account password...lol..

but yep...that did it....

If you have an older gmail account...change the password

edit - note...my pass was already longer than 8 before changing it but as soon as I changed it and clicked sigh in, it worked
    Last edited by kinar; 06/06/2009 at 09:35 PM.
    the problem is for older gmail users. If you have a >8 digit password you will get this error.
    I think you meant if you have a <8 digit password you will get this error. That's why your post was a little confusing.

< is less than
    > is greater than
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    I think you meant if you have a <8 digit password you will get this error. That's why your post was a little confusing.

< is less than
    > is greater than

OOPS.... Your right... My mistake. I meant to say greater then or equal to. Thanks
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I'm seeing the same invalid username/password error when I try to set up my google account. I've tried changing the password several times. I get the same error whether I try to set up an IMAP connection in email or a general connection in contacts. My wife's account worked with no problem.

One thing which might be of note is that my user name in longer than some: 13 chars and includes a '.' character...
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yalcib View Post
    I'm seeing the same invalid username/password error when I try to set up my google account. I've tried changing the password several times. I get the same error whether I try to set up an IMAP connection in email or a general connection in contacts. My wife's account worked with no problem.

One thing which might be of note is that my user name in longer than some: 13 chars and includes a '.' character...
    Finally figured this out. I must leave the '.' char out of the user name part of the email address I configure
    Quote Originally Posted by Yalcib View Post
    Finally figured this out. I must leave the '.' char out of the user name part of the email address I configure
    Mine works fine with a "." as part of the username.
    Password length stayed at 8, but I added numbers to the password and that did it.
    I had issues too, but it was more how the Pre's keyboard works..

On the Treo/Centro with Palm OS, you normally enter in a character, then hit "alt" to bring up the list of characters/symbols you want to use. On the Pre, you just hit the "Symbol" button and pick your symbol. No need to enter another character available on the keyboard then hit the symbol button.

This might not have been a problem for some users, but for me it took a little getting used to.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo