Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am attempting to set up my Pre for AKO email (Army Knowledge Online). I have used basic AKO (not the beta, OWA or exchange-based) for years on my Treo devices, but I can't make the Pre work. The only option NOT available on the Pre that was in Versamail is the Outgoing mail server authentication option "Use authentication (ESMTP)."

I have used every possible POP and IMAP config that I can think of to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I'm using the beta AKO email and can't get it working either. Keep getting the SSL certificate error. There is another thread about that error on here but it hasn't fixed it for me yet. I could set it up and read it on my iPod but not my Pre
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Alright, I'm using AKO Beta and I got it working! It should be pretty similar to the regular AKO.

1. First, you have to install the 2 certificates. Follow the instructions on this page to download the certs (How to Install DoD Root Certificates on Windows Mobile Devices « Tim Smeltzer’s Weblog).

2. Once you get them downloaded on to your computer you have to plug your Pre into your computer via the USB cable (the same one you use to charge it) and then copy those 2 .cer files into the download folder on your Pre.

3. Unplug the USB cable and go to the launcher and select "device info". scroll to the bottom and select "more info". Tap on "software" then tap on the top left where it says, "preferences" and choose "Certificate Manager". Click on the + sign on the lower left and you should see the two certificates you added to the folder. Just click on them and then choose "trust" when it asks what you want to do. Do that for both certificates.

4. Now go back to the email setup and set it up as an EAS account. I'm not sure what your settings will be here but it should be somewhere on the AKO page. For me it was just https://mail.beta.army.mil but yours will be something different.

Hope that works for you because it works perfectly for me now!

Karl
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the assist. I was able to install the certificates with your advise above, and they appear in my Pre Certificate Manager as Trusted certificates, but I am getting a "SSL certificate error. Is the time and date correct?" error message when I attempt to sign in.

I am using the AKO email settings outlined on the AKO Site army.mil/ako/email/config/win/OutlookPOP.html

Thanks for any other thoughts you may have.

James
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    The only other thing I can suggest is to use the browser and log on to your AKO mail that way. You will have to accept and trust the certificate before you can log on. That is the only other certificate I have but I didn't think it was all that necessary. But I could certainly be wrong so it's worth a try. Also, use EAS, not POP or IMAP. I couldn't get any of those to work but EAS works beautifully.
    I have followed the suggestions posted above and I am getting the same time / date error. I am also unable to access AKO or AKO Webmail through the internet on my Pre. If anyone comes up with a work around, please let me know.

On my HTC Touch with Windows I was at least able to view my email.

Could be a Palm Pre deal breaker.

Is there anyway to sign up for the AKO Email Beta? I think that is the reason you were able to make yours work. Us regular folk have to live by the policies that say we can't have a mobile device access AKO content because it stores our password.

All help appreciated.

Joe
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Joe,

I'm not sure what problems you were having but I am able to log on to AKO with my Pre. I couldn't try the regular AKO mail because it just redirected me to the beta page but at least I could log on to AKO. I would think you should be able to do the same and then just click on the email link.

I did have an issue at first though. When I first went to the AKO page I had problems because I got the page when I have to click to accepts whatever terms of service are on that page (the same thing you get when you go to the AKO homepage on the web) but the page didn't seem to load all the way because the button I am supposed to click wasn't there. So I just reloaded the page and it showed up. Now granted the page was a little messed up and the text didn't flow correctly but if you zoom in on the page you could see the button and click on it without clicking on any of the links that it seems to be lying under (you'll see what I mean when you get to that page on your Pre).

So try that and see if you can get in to AKO and your mail via the web. Also, when you tried to set it up via the email program on the Pre were you using EAS and not POP or IMAP? Hopefully it works for you because it works great for me.

As for getting into the beta I would just email them (beta.help@us.army.mil) and ask. That's all I did a few years ago and they switched me over.

Good luck and I hope that helps.

Karl
    Karl,

I tried the EAS, POP, and IMAP. I have refreshed at least 50 times and can't find the "I accept" button. I am betting it is an function of Army network security. I think the difference is in the beta you are working with. I emailed them and we shall see if I can get into their Beta program.

Thanks for your input,

Joe
    Update,

I had my wireless turned off, when I turned it on, I was able to log into AKO and webmail through the internet. Once I turned wireless off it logged me out of AKO and I couldn't get back in until I turned wireless back on.

Again, I still suspect the Army computer Guru's have done this purposely.

Still waiting on an email from the beta guys.

Joe
    Success,

I had to pull the certificate while I was logged into AKO Webmail. It is under Safety, Security Report. Then just follow the instructions for exporting that certificate into your Pre listed above. I can send and receive which is better than I had on my HTC Touch.

Thanks All
    Try getting out of the army, that fixed all my AKO issues XD
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I transferred DoD Class Root 3A and DoD Root 2A certificates to my Pre. Do you recommend any others?
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpconroy1 View Post
    I transferred DoD Class Root 3A and DoD Root 2A certificates to my Pre. Do you recommend any others?
    Those are the only ones I transferred. The only other certificate I have is the one I accepted when I logged on to the webmail version through my browser. Don't know if that is needed or not but I guess it can't hurt if you're having problems setting it up.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eodcrab View Post
    Success,

I had to pull the certificate while I was logged into AKO Webmail. It is under Safety, Security Report. Then just follow the instructions for exporting that certificate into your Pre listed above. I can send and receive which is better than I had on my HTC Touch.

Thanks All
    So you got it working through the mail application and not webmail right? Did you have to use EAS like I did (instead of IMAP or POP)? It also works alot better for me as well. I couldn't get it to work at all on my Treo (using Chatter email) and on my iPod Touch I could only view mail, not send. Also I would have to delete things twice, once on my iPod and once via webmail. But now on the Pre everything works just as if I were using Outlook. Pretty sweet really.
    I am fighting with making this work. I imported all the certs, but am still getting the error. How are you connecting with AKO, IMAP, POP or EAS? And if EAS, what are you putting in as domain?
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bouhammer View Post
    I am fighting with making this work. I imported all the certs, but am still getting the error. How are you connecting with AKO, IMAP, POP or EAS? And if EAS, what are you putting in as domain?
    Are you using the regular AKO or the beta? I am on the beta so I'm using EAS with "pilot" (without the quotes of course) as my domain and https://mail.beta.army.mil as the address. Once I imported the certs it was easy to set up.

I think Joe got his working so maybe he will chime in on how he set up the regular version of AKO.

Karl
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    All, I was upgraded within Beta to OWA 2010. Our current server address is owa.beta.army.mil rather than mail.beta.army.mil

I successfully synced the device without error and my whole email tree structure is reflected on the palm but no emails in any folder. My sync log that I generated from a OWA browser session suggests no sync problems.

Has anyone else this symptom?
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    If you are setting up EAS and are a Beta user, your domain should read PILOT
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpconroy1 View Post
    All, I was upgraded within Beta to OWA 2010. Our current server address is owa.beta.army.mil rather than mail.beta.army.mil

I successfully synced the device without error and my whole email tree structure is reflected on the palm but no emails in any folder. My sync log that I generated from a OWA browser session suggests no sync problems.

Has anyone else this symptom?
    Shoot, I was afraid of this. I'm still on 2007 but I think my account is set to be migrated to 2010 towards the end of this month. I have everything working perfectly right now so I hope it doesn't get messed up when my account changes! If you get it figured out post here in case I have any issues.

One thing you might try is contacting Tim Smeltzer. He is the lead guy in AKO's mobile division and he might be able to help us. His blog is at Tim Smeltzer’s Weblog and he does answer his comments. I'm not sure if his email address is on there but if nothing else you could comment on one of his posts.

Karl
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Also, they have updated the FAQ site and it seems there is a lot of info on it. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet. There is a place to email the beta mobile help so maybe they can help with 2010 issues too.
    https://www.beta.army.mil
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast