Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you are getting "SSL certificate error. Is the date and time correct?" while setting up the EAS account, it is very likely that you are using a self-signed certificate. These steps should help you or your IT administrator getting and installing the correct certificate from the server into the WebOS.

The certificate you need to install is the root certificate from the certificate authority, and not the domain one you get in the browser.

To get this certificate in Windows Server 2008 you can follow these steps (2003 should be similar)

1. Start > Administrative Tools > Certification Authority
    2. Right click on your root authority (right under Certification Authority)
    3. Select properties
    4. Select the latest certificate, and then hit View Certificate
    5. Select the Details tab
    6. Hit Copy to File...
    7. Click Next >
    8. Choose Base-64 encoded X.509 (.CER), click Next >
    9. Browse for the file location, click Next >
    10. Click Finish.
    11. That's it, just email yourself the generated file as attachment, open the attachment, Trust the Certificate, and you should be good to go.

Good luck!
    Our server is not setup for SSl. Does Palm not have the option to turn SSL off? iPhone has this ability. Kinda difficult to setup the ssl certificate authority remotely.
    When i try that i get the following pop up:

Microsoft Certificate Services

Cannot Manage Certificate Services

The specific service does not exist as an installed serviece 0x424 (win32:1060)

Any ideas?
    You have to install it under add/remove programs>add/remove windows components.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyduece View Post
    Our server is not setup for SSl. Does Palm not have the option to turn SSL off? iPhone has this ability. Kinda difficult to setup the ssl certificate authority remotely.
    Based on what I've been able to deduce here, elsewhere on the web, and from my own experience, the answer to this question seems to be a big, fat no. Palm dropped the ball big time, and completely forgot about us non-SSL using customers. How they managed to make this mistake, I really have no idea.

And you're right; Apple did, in fact, get this right. And why shouldn't they have? It's certainly easy enough. The real question is how Palm managed to f' it up.
    Hey hey, I know they screwed up big time here but I am sure they will fix it pretty soon. I am actually glad it is broken because I really don't need my work email bombarding my Pre right now .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Hey hey, I know they screwed up big time here but I am sure they will fix it pretty soon. I am actually glad it is broken because I really don't need my work email bombarding my Pre right now .
    You, sir, are the poster boy for "every cloud has a silver lining".

Nevertheless, I still consider this monumentally retarded on Palm's part, and I still want access to my contact list. Wasn't contact integration supposed to be what Palm was so excited about? And wasn't June 6 supposed to be the day I'd finally get to see how it worked? Looks like the wait isn't over after all.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    It doesn't just affect EAS - my college's IMAP server uses SSL for authentication, and - you guessed it - they have an expired certificate, meaning my Pre refuses to talk to them. Fortunately, I just got accepted and opened my mail account there this past week, so I'm not missing anything yet, but I really hope Palm gets this fixed so that I can use it by the beginning of the fall semester...
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    It doesn't just affect EAS - my college's IMAP server uses SSL for authentication, and - you guessed it - they have an expired certificate, meaning my Pre refuses to talk to them. Fortunately, I just got accepted and opened my mail account there this past week, so I'm not missing anything yet, but I really hope Palm gets this fixed so that I can use it by the beginning of the fall semester...
    With IMAP (or with POP), there is a way to set authentication from 'SLL' to 'none'. It's buried in a preferences menu somewhere totally un-intuitive (but it's all about the journey, and not the destination, right? ...so happy hunting).

It seems only with Exchange was this glaring omission was made.
    Glad I am not the only one having the SSL issue... I too am in the same boat with a server that does not use SSL and now I cant sync my new Pre to my exchange server. It was definitelty a buzzkill after I started playing with my Pre and my excitement turned into pain when it wouldnt sync.. i even tried to be clever and type in the server name without the (s) thinking that would tell the Pre not to use SSL.. no dice. I called Palm support and explained this issue.. he said an expert would call me back in the next 24 hrs .. I guess Palm is getting bombarded with calls from users with our same issue (self signed cert or no cert).. I will let everyone know if I get any results. Also. does anyone know where to send emails to PALM to notify them of this issue? I figure if they get enought requests they will make this a priority.. I dont want to live with POP3 until the next WebOS update which can be months from now.. gulp!
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peregrine View Post
    With IMAP (or with POP), there is a way to set authentication from 'SLL' to 'none'. It's buried in a preferences menu somewhere totally un-intuitive (but it's all about the journey, and not the destination, right? ...so happy hunting).

It seems only with Exchange was this glaring omission was made.
    Yes there's a way to disable SSL authentication on the phone, but I can't really do that with the server - my college requires SSL authentication, so disabling it will just mean I'll get bounced trying to connect.
    If there's a way to disable SSL, I think a lot of people would be interested in knowing how.
    Quote Originally Posted by SalladDazed View Post
    If there's a way to disable SSL, I think a lot of people would be interested in knowing how.
    Bump for this. Exchange server doesn't have SSL, any known way to connect to it on the pre, like by disabling SSL on the phone like Libb mentioned?
    There is a way but that is only for POP3 and IMAP Not for Exchange.

this is totally foreign to me-i am a consumer, not a tech guy...my IT folks say use something that works out of the box-we don't have time with 10,000 people to mess with this kind of garbage - either it works on our system or it doesn't.
    the Palm Pro-worked perfectly out of the box
    the HTC Touch Pro-worked perfectly out of the box
    iPhone works perfectly out of the box
    Palm Pre does not...should I abort and go back to known working devices or wait for the Palm Level 2 tech to call back (promised a call within 24 hrs of 3pm Sat)...
    This is unreal...will go under "Duh" of the year for Palm...
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    Bump for this. Exchange server doesn't have SSL, any known way to connect to it on the pre, like by disabling SSL on the phone like Libb mentioned?
    We use ssl.on our exchange server, so I can't test, but would you not just change the incoming mail server address from https: to http: ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mlisook View Post
    We use ssl.on our exchange server, so I can't test, but would you not just change the incoming mail server address from https: to http: ?
    That't Exactly the problem for me. The Pre will not let you use http, is will only let you use https as the mail server...

Come on Palm...give us the option to use http!!
    Just wanted to let everone know I spoked with a Level 2 tech at Palm and reported the need to have the ability to choose between SSL and NO SSL. Apparently this has been requested multiple times and unfortunately if you dont use SSL you are SOL. She put in a request to the WebOS engineers to include this fix in their next update and they are supposed to contact me when they will pushing out the next update....unfortunately she did not know when that will be..so I guess i will have to be creative on how to import my exchange contacts and calendar to my Pre. Looks like I am going to get aquainted with Gmail..lol

I am gonna give this phone a chance..yes its buggy but so was the iphone when it first came out..and i think this phone has MUCH MORE potential! I have been a devout Palm customer for over 10 years since it was Handspring and they always have delievered. Im giving them a chance
    Guys let give a pre a chance catch up...there's so many negative threads...
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    Quote Originally Posted by omgitsroy326 View Post
    Guys let give a pre a chance catch up...there's so many negative threads...
    Because none of this is new technology, and these are negative experiences that are impacting our ability to function.

IMO, core functionality is:

1. Ability to make and receive calls
    2. Ability to send and receive SMS
    3. Ability to access e-mail, calendar, contacts via EAS
    4. Ability to access the web

Personally I like a lot about the phone--and I am hopeful some of these issues get ironed out. But, still, sometimes on the 'outside' its as if the engineers tested in one environment, then are done.

I traded in my 3 years old phone yesterday, and left with the current "hot" item in the smartphone market--to discover I lost access to my e-mail, contacts, and calendar...and the old equipment was... a... PALM DEVICE!!
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast