Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    PARTIAL SUCCESS...
    When I arrived at the office this morning I connected the Pre to our WPA secure WiFi (easy!) and attempted to connect to the Exchange server again. I set my connection info to use the local path as displayed in the certificate settings on the Pre as described in my previous post. This time it connected without issue and downloaded all my recent emails and contacts. Nice, but it won't work when I disconnect from the LAN. So now my issue has boiled down to: Why does the Pre interpret my certificate with an internal domain address (Servername.domain.local) when the certificate was created with the external address? This same certificate works on other phones, and when viewed on my computer it displays the external address (Mail.MYDOMAIN.com). I didn't know the internal address was even contained in that certificate...
    I connected on Saturday fine and messages loads, contacts synced, calendar sync, tasks sync, but I arrive this morning to the office and now I noticed that it only did a one time sync and my contacts no longer sync, my email no longer sync, nothings syncs (exchange items). I manually sync and nothing no errors no nothing, I turned off the phone and on...nothing, I even did a battery pull like blackberry and nothing...Hope I find a fix for this today otherwise back it is...
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    And for all of you people who's work exchange servers that aren't secured using ssl while I agree there should be support for it but its just horrible security to not have it.
    No, these IT people should change professions. After reading the threads on people trying to sync their phones and how all of these servers either have self-signed certs or NO CERTS AT ALL, I'm chuckling. Self-signed certs are great for your LAN, but just plain stupid to use for Internet facing apps. The reason you get a cert is so the server can verify its identity to the end user CORRECTLY. I have no doubt that more than half of Exchange admins are running the cert that came with the installation. Or if they did generate a new self-signed cert, that they didn't apply it correctly through the powershell commands.

If you want to run an Exchange server and have Internet connectivity, cough the money and do it correctly. This is why there are threads like this pages long. A simple thing of not purchasing a cert from an Internet authority causes a whole bunch of pissed off end users and god knows how much time.
    I have not tried this, but Palm has instructions online. I'll post again if it works/fails.
    Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Setting up email accounts
    That is just the "how to configure an e-mail account" procedure. The issues people are having here are related to when the procedure you linked to don't work.
    I guess palm is afraid of allot of people leaving. i just received a second follow up call that Engineers are working on the SSL issue & a fix is fast approaching.

Fingers crossed men, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    I sure hope you are right. While I like the phone and its concept, currently it is like a Porsche that only works in first gear. It looks good, makes some noise, but utlimately false short on performance. I am not a techy so I need the plug and play stuff. I am out of the office alot so the exchange syncing is mission critical

I am only posting this message so if by chance that Palm is watching...they need to know if there is not a fix within a few days, i will be forced to return the phone and go back my old/reliable centro.

I agree with many that it is a huge oversight. Regardless, if fixed fast - i will be impressed and happy!
    I was extremely disappointed to see that that SSL is required to setup EAS integration.

Hopefully Palm will publish an enhancement in this area for the next Update. From reading the forums there are a lot of users who are very un-happy.

To me, security options like this should be up to the user, not decided by Palm. That flexibility is supposedly one of the advantages of this phone, vs. something like the iPhone.

Right now I'm seriously thinking about the 30-day return policy
    I would agree. I never thought it could be true after following this phone for 6 months but I am seriously thinking about returning it as well. If I cannot get email without adding security certificates by the time the 30 days is up, I can seriously see me returning it. Big bummer for me.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    This was how I ended up fixing it on my Pre.

Manual certificate installation:

• Connect phone to computer as a usb drive
    • Make a directory named certificates
    • Download certificate to certificates directory on phone
    • Go into 'Device Info' then click the 'More Info' button then click 'Preferences' up top and go to Certificate Manager.
    • Add your certificate

Enjoy!
    Obscura
    Did that about 100 posts ago....Still Nada.
    Regardless of the work around to use a certificate I still don't think palm should require us to use a security certificate if we don't have to. It seems like an oversight on palm's side to not include an option to not use one. I don't want to have to make my IT department use a certificate just so I can get my email. I feel like it would be quite a bit easier just to sync exchange with google and then google to my phone. That is pretty annoying though.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidm1519 View Post
    Did that about 100 posts ago....Still Nada.
    Hmmm... have you updated? In device info it should be v. 1.0.2 or above.
    Obscura
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscura View Post
    Update your phone. The first firmware update included a fix to allow non-ssl IMAP.
    Sweet. How does that help with EAS??????
    - Attached root cert file to email
    - Opened attachment and installed from Pre

EAS now works!! Thanks to whomever mentioned the install from email tip. I get to keep my phone now!
    Has anyone that uses ssl on a different domain then the certificate says gotten your eas to work?
    Why not install a signed cert on your server ? You can get a free class 1 SSL cert at www,startssl,com Certificates & Public Key
    They also have other low cost options depending on your needs.

We had an unsigned cert after these certs got installed I had no isssue. Exchange got connected right up. You still have to install the 2 root certificates on your phone. These certs are not included in the palm.

You can get the root cert here cert,startcom,org/?app=138 This also helps out with doing webmail access no annoying cert messages nay more
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major.Malfunction View Post
    No, these IT people should change professions.
    Exactly! I have DNS setup so that people on the inside of the network can use public internet names for some services (email!). That way the certificate contains the proper hostname inside and outside of the firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by Major.Malfunction View Post
    If you want to run an Exchange server and have Internet connectivity, cough the money and do it correctly. This is why there are threads like this pages long. A simple thing of not purchasing a cert from an Internet authority causes a whole bunch of pissed off end users and god knows how much time.
    It doesn't cost anything! I use cacert.org! It's free! Installed the cacert.org root certificate in the PrPrPr&#$275$; $and$ $I$'$m$ $good$ $to$ $go$ $for$ $any$ $site$ $that$ $uses$ $cacert$.$org$ $certificates$ ($there$ $are$ $quite$ $a$ $few$ $out$ $there$). $I$ $created$ $a$ $link$ $to$ $the$ $cacert$.$org$ $root$ $certificate$ $so$ $my$ $users$ $can$ $easily$ $find$ $it$ $and$ $install$ $it$ $if$ $they$ $need$ $to$. $I$ $provision$ $all$ $the$ $corporate$ $boxes$ $with$ $the$ $cacert$.$org$ $certificate$ $already$ $installed$.
    Quote Originally Posted by pehaada View Post
    Why not install a signed cert on your server ? You can get a free class 1 SSL cert at www,startssl,com Certificates & Public Key
    They also have other low cost options depending on your needs.

We had an unsigned cert after these certs got installed I had no isssue. Exchange got connected right up. You still have to install the 2 root certificates on your phone. These certs are not included in the palm.

You can get the root cert here cert,startcom,org/?app=138 This also helps out with doing webmail access no annoying cert messages nay more
    I agree. This can all be accomplished. Some of the frustration is that I shouldn't have to. Plus, then I will have to convince our IT department to do it (they probably will but it still takes some convincing), walk them through it, and then make sure it doesn't interfere with everyone else's phone. This all seems like too much of a hassle when it can and should be solved on palm's end. I am potentially willing to wait until they do but will determine that by how satisfied I am closer to the 30 day period.
    Or you may find after you obtain and install the certs that you are in the same boat many others are--secure authentication works, but you end up with empty folders, no synching ability, and no contacts, tasks or appointments.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast