Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    He can't, because Palm never said it.
    You know better. You've been provided the proof a number of times. It was on the front page of this web site.

Now please, go play with your iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You know better. You've been provided the proof a number of times. It was on the front page of this web site.

Now please, go play with your iPhone.
    Please provide a link to the documents that describes the problems the original poster was talking about. As shown elsewhere you have little to no knowledge of what exchange can and cannot do. Stop making apologies for Palm.
    Please provide a link to the documents that describes the problems the original poster was talking about. As shown elsewhere you have little to no knowledge of what exchange can and cannot do. Stop making apologies for Palm.
    You, and the person questioning me originally, really need to work on your "people skills". I don't give in to demands such as "do it or STFU", nor will I do so to your silly, asinine accusation/request here.

The document I mentioned, and was questioned about, did not relate to the OP, but to the person to whom I responded. As I stated before, the document in question was posted on this site, as well as many other Pre related websites.

I do not pretend to be an Exchange expert, but your stupid statement that I have "little to no knowledge of what exchange can and cannot do" is just that. My experience is limted, but I wouldn't call it "little". (Ironically, the discussion isn't really about Exchange, it's about Exchange Active Sync, and each of those two different products operate independently of each other).

I will also point out, that I regularly attempt to help folks, rather than just log on to bash a product or company. When you can say the same, I'll be more concerned about your advice on what I should or should not do.

In case you're having trouble reading between the lines, I just called you a rectal outlet. Now, go away.
    Last edited by hparsons; 06/15/2009 at 01:00 PM.
    You, and the person questioning me originally, really need to work on your "people skills". I don't respond to "do it or STFU", nor will I respond to your silly, asinine accusation here.

As I stated before, the document in question was posted on this site, as well as many other Pre related websites.

I do not pretend to be an Exchange expert, but your stupid statement that I have "little to no knowledge of what exchange can and cannot do" is just that. My experience is limted, but I wouldn't call it "little".

I will also point out, that I regularly attempt to help folks, rather than just log on to bash a product or company. When you can say the same, I'll be more concerned about your advice on what I should or should not do.

In case you're having trouble reading between the lines, I just called you a rectal outlet. Now, go away.
    The document you continuously refer to does not mention security policies or pin support, etc. In addition the document was never released to the public by Palm. Palm never released an official document or statement about the matter except to say that they are working on a fix.

You might be attempting to help people, but the info you give is often incorrect or just blatant palm propaganda.
    The document you continuously refer to does not mention security policies or pin support, etc. In addition the document was never released to the public by Palm. Palm never released an official document or statement about the matter except to say that they are working on a fix.

You might be attempting to help people, but the info you give is often incorrect or just blatant palm propaganda.
    Again, Palm gave the information to their one distributor - Sprint. Sprint passed the information on to their employees. I never claimed that Palm or Sprint made the information public, only that it has been publicly discussed.

It has.

The document does in fact mention security policies and pin support.

There is no such thing as "EAS Light", and Microsoft's own website references the fact that different devices will implement different features of EAS.

I would now like you to please reference the "official" statement from Palm. I have no doubt that they are working on the issues involved. I don't even doubt that you have spoken to Palm techs; however, I've seen nothing "official" from them.

Some of the things they are working on are bug fixes, and some are additional features; but to constantly harp on nonsense like "EAS light", and that Sprint or Palm should have "advertised" the feature they did not implment is just you being a product basher.

With that, I will leave you to your emotional need to bash Palm. Have fun constantly harping about a product you seem very dissatisified with.
    Again, Palm gave the information to their one distributor - Sprint. Sprint passed the information on to their employees. I never claimed that Palm or Sprint made the information public, only that it has been publicly discussed.

It has.

The document does in fact mention security policies and pin support.

There is no such thing as "EAS Light", and Microsoft's own website references the fact that different devices will implement different features of EAS.

I would now like you to please reference the "official" statement from Palm. I have no doubt that they are working on the issues involved. I don't even doubt that you have spoken to Palm techs; however, I've seen nothing "official" from them.

Some of the things they are working on are bug fixes, and some are additional features; but to constantly harp on nonsense like "EAS light", and that Sprint or Palm should have "advertised" the feature they did not implment is just you being a product basher.

With that, I will leave you to your emotional need to bash Palm. Have fun constantly harping about a product you seem very dissatisified with.
    This will be my last response to you on the subject, and then I will give you the last word. The document that you reffered to was maybe read by 2% of all Pre owners. It was posted on the Precentral message boards and thats it. Most people don't read these boards. Palm never mentioned before the Pre was released that their implementation of EAS lacked many of the neccessary security features that are required for many enterprise users.

I find it fascinating that for someone like yourself that doesn't know what Exchange can and cannot do needs to make excuses for Palm.

Ok buddy, here is your official statement As per Dieters story on Precentral.net ...............

we’ve received word from Jon Zilber, Director of Online Communications at Palm, that they’re working on it:

Palm understands that some business customers need support for specific Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) policies. We are working to develop support for EAS PIN and password enforcement, as well as EAS remote wipe, for webOS and hope to announce these new features within the next 60 days. We will deliver the features through our over-the-air update system, which Palm has already started using to bring new updates to Pre users as they become available. Until then, Palm Pre customers can enable a PIN or password directly on a device, and can also remotely wipe a device via a Palm profile.

Here is the link...http://www.precentral.net/palm-knows...within-60-days

Again, I invite you to do your research before posting. Giving people false info (whether intended or not) does more harm than good.
    Sigh....

Let's do this point by point.

This will be my last response to you on the subject, and then I will give you the last word.
    Hopefully, but I doubt that's true. You butted in this time, you'll do it again.

The document that you reffered to was maybe read by 2% of all Pre owners.
    Possibly, but I don't know where you would have gotten that statistic from. However, it's a moot point. You said the document didn't exist. It does.

It was posted on the Precentral message boards and thats it. Most people don't read these boards.
    Blatantly false. Here's a partial list of the sites that posted the information before the Pre was launched:

PreCentral.net
    PalmInfocenter.com
    Engadget.com
    IntoMobile.com
    InformationWeek.com
    MyPre.com
    PocketInfo.com

The list goes on, but I think it's clear you're beying myopic on the point.

Palm never mentioned before the Pre was released that their implementation of EAS lacked many of the neccessary security features that are required for many enterprise users.
    Again, Palm mentioned to Sprint, Sprint mentioned to their employees.

I find it fascinating that for someone like yourself that doesn't know what Exchange can and cannot do needs to make excuses for Palm.
    And I submit you really don't know what I do or don't know about Exchange. However, you can be assured of this one fact, I've got the Pre working perfectly with my Exchange server.

Ok buddy, here is your official statement As per Dieters story on Precentral.net ...............

we’ve received word from Jon Zilber, Director of Online Communications at Palm, that they’re working on it:
    And while I have no doubt that Dieter has represented accurately what was said, I hope you understand the difference between "Dieter said that Jon said", and an official statement.

I do find it interesting though, that you accept that as an official statement, but not the information released here before the Pre was released. I suspect you readily accept what supports your view, and reject the rest.

Palm understands that some business customers need support for specific Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) policies. We are working to develop support for EAS PIN and password enforcement, as well as EAS remote wipe, for webOS and hope to announce these new features within the next 60 days. We will deliver the features through our over-the-air update system, which Palm has already started using to bring new updates to Pre users as they become available. Until then, Palm Pre customers can enable a PIN or password directly on a device, and can also remotely wipe a device via a Palm profile.
    Please note, in that he is talking about additional functionality. All of the above mentioned functionality are not bug fixes, they are added features that Palm was aware of would not be included in the original release of the Pre (which is why user get a specific message saying that the server is using features not supported).

I personally, am much more concerned about the bug fixes. These are things that need to be addressed first, things that are not working as designed.

This includes the (apparent) bug that does not support multiple common names on a cert.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzmans2 View Post
    Well I have a story to tell. It's a little long winded, sorry in advance.

I have an SBS 2003 server with a signed certificate.

I have two users with PREs.

One user was able to connect to Exchange and it works perfectly.

The other user gets the dreaded empty outbox only, no synching of mail, calendar or contacts. The phone definitely does not behave the way it's supposed to after entering in all the information and pressing sign on. Usually it says "syncing Exchange account"

I thought at first it was his user account. The reason why I say this, is that a few months ago, I tried to configure EAS for the same user with an IPOD touch. It was unsuccessful. I have other Iphone devices working fine with EAS on the same network. I gave up on the IPOD and setup the account with IMAP.

The user, let's say his name is Bill Smith, username was Bill, but his primary email alias was BSmith. My first thought was that at some point his alias was Bill and it was changed to BSmith, and that was hosing it up. So I exported all mail using ExMerge, deleted the account and recreated a new one with Bill as the username and BSmith as the email alias. I setup the account on the phone. The phone behaved like it was supposed to. I started reimporting his mailbox from the server. Little by little the data started coming into the phone. I started rejoicing.

After some time passed, I noticed that new emails in Outlook were not showing up on the phone. Forcing a recheck did not work. I deleted the account and input it again. Same problem as at first empty outbox.
    I also was unable to get IMAP to work, invalid password error. May have had to do with the username and alias being different.

So, I deleted the account again and created a new one. This time I made the username and alias the same, BSmith. Configured the account on the phone ok. Could see the inbox, sent items, etc. Two items in the inbox. Good. Started the importing process again. Same deal once it finished importing, new messages not showing up on the phone. The user tried to reply to several emails. They would get stuck in the Outbox and never leave. Removing the account on the phone and re-inputing netted the same problem, empty outbox.

I then decided to try his account on the other user's Pre, the working one. I deleted the existing account and setup BSmith. Same deal, empty outbox.

Then I started thinking possibly it was the mailbox size, over 1 gig, but the working user's mailbox is also over 1 gig.

The non-working user also has may subfolders in the inbox as opposed to the working user. Not sure if this has anything to do with anything, just thought I'd throw it out there.

I setup BSmith with IMAP for the time being until this bug is worked out.
    Unfortunately he cannot reply to emails using IMAP, even with authentication turned on. I can't win.

I thought I would tell my story if it helped anyone avoid wasting the whole day going though the same steps. I think my case it a little more unique in that I had two Pre to use, one that worked and one that doesn't

I'm posting an update to my previous post concerning EAS not synching and only getting the Outbox after setting up the account.

It is working now. The user removed a lot of folders that were under the inbox. He also deleted a good amount of mail and emptied the deleted items folder which was full of mail.
    No other changes were made.

Hope this helps anyone who was experiencing the same problem.
    I'm posting an update to my previous post concerning EAS not synching and only getting the Outbox after setting up the account.

It is working now. The user removed a lot of folders that were under the inbox. He also deleted a good amount of mail and emptied the deleted items folder which was full of mail.

That's interesting. I'm wondering if the account simply would not sync, or if there was so much data that it just wasn't through yet.
    I can't wait for the update
    Here's what I did to fix my exchange syncs empty outbox issue.

1. Open Exchange Manager.
    2. Expand Administrative Groups, expand the first administrative group, and then expand Servers.
    3. Expand the server container for the Exchange Server 2003 server that you will be configuring, expand Protocols, and then expand HTTP.
    4. Under the HTTP container, right-click the Exchange Virtual Server container, and then click Properties.
    5. Click the Settings tab, clear the Enable Forms Based Authentication check box, and then click OK.
    6. Close Exchange Manager.
    7. Click Start, click Run, type IISRESET/NOFORCE, and then press ENTER to restart Internet Information Services (IIS).

Additionally, you must use Internet IIS Manager to create this virtual directory for Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access to work. If you are using Windows Server 2003, follow these steps:

1. Start Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
    2. Locate the Exchange virtual directory. The default location is as follows:
    Web Sites\Default Web Site\Exchange
    3. Right-click the Exchange virtual directory, click All Tasks, and then click Save Configuration to a File.
    4. In the File name box, type a name. For example, type ExchangeVDir. Click OK.
    5. Right-click the root of this Web site. Typically, this is Default Web Site. Click New, and then click Virtual Directory (from file).
    6. In the Import Configuration dialog box, click Browse, locate the file that you created in step 4, click Open, and then click Read File.
    7. Under Select a configuration to import , click Exchange, and then click OK.

A dialog box will appear that states that the "virtual directory already exists."
    8. In the Alias box, type a name for the new virtual directory that you want Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access to use. For example, type exchange-oma. Click OK.
    9. Right-click the new virtual directory. In this example, click exchange-oma. Click Properties.
    10. Click the Directory Security tab.
    11. Under Authentication and access control, click Edit.
    12. Make sure that only the following authentication methods are enabled, and then click OK: • Integrated Windows authentication
    • Basic authentication

13. On the Directory Security tab, under IP address and domain name restrictions, click Edit.
    14. Click the option for Denied access, click Add, click Single computer and type the IP address of the server that you are configuring, and then click OK.
    15. Under Secure communications, click Edit. Make sure that Require secure channel (SSL) is not enabled, and then click OK.
    16. Click OK, and then close the IIS Manager.
    17. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    18. Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MasSync\Parameters
    19. Right-click Parameters, click to New, and then click String Value.
    20. Type ExchangeVDir, and then press ENTER. Right-click ExchangeVDir, and then click Modify.

NoteExchangeVDir is case-sensitive. If you do not type ExchangeVDir exactly as it appears in this article, ActiveSync does not find the key when it locates the exchange-oma folder.
    21. In the Value data box, type the name of the new virtual directory that you created in step 8. For example, type /exchange-oma. Click OK.
    22. Quit Registry Editor.
    23. Restart the IIS Admin service. To do this, follow these steps: a. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    b. In the list of services, right-click IIS Admin service, and then click Restart.

Hope this helps someone
    Funny, I have full root access at my corporation, but I still don't think I can change Exchange permissions... Mmm I wonder if I can set up some sort of external imap system. We have an internal imap server... Simultaneous with Exchange.

Oh hell. If a full inbox and deleted folder is gonna screw me, I have not a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Oh hell. If a full inbox and deleted folder is gonna screw me, I have not a chance.
    I bet the people that have this issue just haven't waited long enough. Anyways, the majority of us with broken EAS are simply waiting on Palms "60-day fix."
    I finally gave up on trying to change my server config to make this phone function so I could have my contacts and calendar. However, I still like the phone and have discovered a way to get my data onto my phone until the magical EAS update appears. I was able to get my contacts and calendar through a third party software that is on the phone. Pocket Mirror will allow you to get the data via WiFi to your workstation computer and sync with the Pre. Then I set up my email via POP3. I now have the data needed to function even though it is not as easily updated as EAS would be.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I am wondering how many of the Exchange users are having issues when replying to a threaded email with multiple recipients? When i reply to all to an email using my pre, my response is legible but the emails below are all compressed and basically unreadable. It seems that the emails lose their formatting and basically compress. It looks like a wordpad document without wordwrap. Is it just me? Palm third level says they have duplicated the issue but I am surprised that this was not discovered during the beta testing. Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I bet the people that have this issue just haven't waited long enough. Anyways, the majority of us with broken EAS are simply waiting on Palms "60-day fix."
    Turns out once my employer loaded the GoDaddy cert, everything runs perfectly. I have 5100 items in my inbox, 3600 deleted and 1100 sent. Of course the pre only pulls a weeks worth or so and that's fine.
    You can change it to download ALL items as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by degfu View Post
    Here's what I did to fix my exchange syncs empty outbox issue.

1. Open Exchange Manager.
    2. Expand Administrative Groups, expand the first administrative group, and then expand Servers.
    3. Expand the server container for the Exchange Server 2003 server that you will be configuring, expand Protocols, and then expand HTTP.
    4. Under the HTTP container, right-click the Exchange Virtual Server container, and then click Properties.
    5. Click the Settings tab, clear the Enable Forms Based Authentication check box, and then click OK.
    6. Close Exchange Manager.
    7. Click Start, click Run, type IISRESET/NOFORCE, and then press ENTER to restart Internet Information Services (IIS).

Additionally, you must use Internet IIS Manager to create this virtual directory for Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access to work. If you are using Windows Server 2003, follow these steps:

1. Start Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
    2. Locate the Exchange virtual directory. The default location is as follows:
    Web Sites\Default Web Site\Exchange
    3. Right-click the Exchange virtual directory, click All Tasks, and then click Save Configuration to a File.
    4. In the File name box, type a name. For example, type ExchangeVDir. Click OK.
    5. Right-click the root of this Web site. Typically, this is Default Web Site. Click New, and then click Virtual Directory (from file).
    6. In the Import Configuration dialog box, click Browse, locate the file that you created in step 4, click Open, and then click Read File.
    7. Under Select a configuration to import , click Exchange, and then click OK.

A dialog box will appear that states that the "virtual directory already exists."
    8. In the Alias box, type a name for the new virtual directory that you want Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access to use. For example, type exchange-oma. Click OK.
    9. Right-click the new virtual directory. In this example, click exchange-oma. Click Properties.
    10. Click the Directory Security tab.
    11. Under Authentication and access control, click Edit.
    12. Make sure that only the following authentication methods are enabled, and then click OK: • Integrated Windows authentication
    • Basic authentication

13. On the Directory Security tab, under IP address and domain name restrictions, click Edit.
    14. Click the option for Denied access, click Add, click Single computer and type the IP address of the server that you are configuring, and then click OK.
    15. Under Secure communications, click Edit. Make sure that Require secure channel (SSL) is not enabled, and then click OK.
    16. Click OK, and then close the IIS Manager.
    17. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    18. Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MasSync\Parameters
    19. Right-click Parameters, click to New, and then click String Value.
    20. Type ExchangeVDir, and then press ENTER. Right-click ExchangeVDir, and then click Modify.

NoteExchangeVDir is case-sensitive. If you do not type ExchangeVDir exactly as it appears in this article, ActiveSync does not find the key when it locates the exchange-oma folder.
    21. In the Value data box, type the name of the new virtual directory that you created in step 8. For example, type /exchange-oma. Click OK.
    22. Quit Registry Editor.
    23. Restart the IIS Admin service. To do this, follow these steps: a. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    b. In the list of services, right-click IIS Admin service, and then click Restart.

Hope this helps someone
    Wow -am I Challenged or what! I need EAS PIN and password enforcement, I downloaded 1.0.3 and still get a message that says device does not support policies or something like that. My IT department is as evasive as Sprint is and I simply do not have the vocabulary to naviate the issue. based on what has already been said has Palm address EAS and PIN policy managment in 1.03 ? Any work around if not ? Thanks
    There is no PIN support at this time and no work around other then getting your IT folks to turn off the PIN for your account.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast