Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cssnetworks View Post
    I think you are confusing client-side certificates with simply adding a private CA to the trusted root store on the phone, or simply overriding the certificate's invalid status, which is what you'll want to do if you're using self-signed certs. The purpose of the certificate in the case of self-signed certs is to provide encryption, so that data is not passing through the internet in clear text, but it doesn't provide any proof of identity, since the certificates were not issued by a proper CA. Client side certs work the same but in reverse, the point being that your handset is proving who it is via the certificate that was issued by a proper CA. You most probably don't need client side certificates and should probably not worry about them.
    hrm, without the cert, I cannot even connect--to get the point where I am denied by policies...

I was never able to get any of my WM phones to connect either, without the cert manually downloaded (through AS)

I never had to copy it over manually like this though. It was always done via AS to my laptop, through USB, while on our company network/VPN. Would not work otherwise, even though my Outlook is using RPC over HTTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I cannot even connect to the WIFI at work, because it is WPA2, and for whatever reason, when I click on the connection, I can't even enter a freaking username.
    http://www.treo8.com/bbs/attachment....7&t=1243465538

The above states Palm Pre does support WPA-2... I couldn't connect today either.. but now that I am home I think it will connect tomorrow.

Launcher > Wifi > Join Network >

Change security settings (i'm thinking enterprise security might work, I can't test until tomorrow)

Reason I think this may work is that for the TX palm called WPA2 - Enterprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceindfw View Post
    After working on the EAS SSL issue for hours today, I finally figured out that the self-signed certificate that SBS 2003 was creating had multiple Common Names (CN=). The first CN was the public hostname of the Exchange server and the last was the internal/private hostname. When I browsed to Outlook Web Access with the Pre and Trusted the certificate, I noticed that the Pre listed the certificate with the last CN - the private hostname (i.e. server.domain.local). Finally, I downloaded a utility and created a another self-signed certificate with only one CN - which pointed to the public FQDN. After adding that certificate to our server, I deleted the first certificate from the Pre and browsed back to OWA - and Trusted the new certificate. Then, I was able to successfully setup the Exchange account.
    This is exactly my situation. In fact, I am able to successfully sync to MS Exchange internally by using the private hostname (i.e. server.domain.local). Thanks for the diagnosis. I am hoping for a little more information about your cure. Can you give a little more detail on how you created another certificate with only a single CN? Thanks.
    Same issue with Security policies....you would think that this is basic for exchange...palm should of included this out of the box. my policy states the phone must have a simple pin(4digits), and phone must lock after 10min of inactivity, also phone will wipe if password is entered incorrectly 10 times. This does not seem to be too much to ask...Palm please fix in 30day or I will have to return my beautiful PRE and get the iPhone! Must....sync....exchange! And I can't even fake it with the desktop sync....at least that would of gotten me by!
    Quote Originally Posted by tcarrierdad View Post
    Had the same problem for the past 2 days. Just go to your webmail site via a computer. Let the root cert install there.
    Go to tools;Options;content;certificates.
    Then go to trusted root certificates and export the one for your exchange server.
    Next download it to the Pre's downloads folder.
    Go into cert manager on the Pre (which is in device info) and install it that way.
    I worked for me so hopefully it does for you. Its nice to have contacts now.
    TCARRIERDAD, would you please let me know the following:

1. Which Exchange server version?
    2. did you have to reset your Exchange server account? or change any setting?
    3. if you don't mind, how your exchange mailbox setup. Do you have to enable some mobile device setting for your mailbox?

Greatly appreciated.
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    I am having a weird problem where EAS setup goes fine, but only the contacts sync - no calendar or mail syncs. Outbound email works though - it can send messgaes through exchange fine. I've never had a phone that's been so weird to set up on exchange.

I have deleted the email acct, reinstalled it multiple times, as well has doing a hard reset and erasing everything and reinstalling, even with a different palm profile. Still no go.

Any ideas as to what's going on? I'd really like to be able to keep the phone, but email needs to work!
    Quote Originally Posted by techjuice View Post
    Same issue with Security policies....you would think that this is basic for exchange...palm should of included this out of the box. my policy states the phone must have a simple pin(4digits), and phone must lock after 10min of inactivity, also phone will wipe if password is entered incorrectly 10 times. This does not seem to be too much to ask...Palm please fix in 30day or I will have to return my beautiful PRE and get the iPhone! Must....sync....exchange! And I can't even fake it with the desktop sync....at least that would of gotten me by!
    I can't wait for someone to release a hack to get RID of the PIN requirement. I had it on my WM phone. I can't stand having my phone lock all the time. I understand the security measure, but I've never had an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by techjuice View Post
    And I can't even fake it with the desktop sync....at least that would of gotten me by!
    I believe you will have at least one, probably two, third party options for this, and likely before the 30 days are up.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I believe you will have at least one, probably two, third party options for this, and likely before the 30 days are up.
    I need a solution that is as seamless as WM is with Exchange. Email that pops up BEFORE it does on my desktop client... tasks, calendar entries that sync instantaneously...

I really want this phone to work out.

For those of you who have lax security policies for Exchange, how quickly do your contacts sync up/update/etc...? What about tasks, memos, notes, etc? Is it as instant as a WM/BB phone? (WM is much faster than BB in my experience, in this area)

My current solution was to add all my contacts to gmail, then download Google Calendar Sync. This was a PITA, because my Outlook created a default meeting-type that was not compatible... Plus it has to be running at all times.

Oh, and the Pre only updates the google calendar once every TWELVE HOURS... sigh
    Activesync requires that OMA be active and working even if you have OWA active. Both OWA and OMA require a virtual directory structure and they have to be set up separately which my IT admin wont mess with because there is a long laundry list of registry adjustments that have to be made - which may fix the problem.

http :// support.microsoft.com/?id=817379

Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access errors occur when SSL or forms-based authentication is required for Exchange Server 2003[/url]

I have been trying to be my pre to sync for 2 days and it doesnt look like it will happen unless something dramatic changes.
    Paaaalllllllmmmmmmmm!!!!

Add these damn security profiles!
    Quote Originally Posted by melee70 View Post
    Activesync requires that OMA be active and working even if you have OWA active. Both OWA and OMA require a virtual directory structure and they have to be set up separately which my IT admin wont mess with because there is a long laundry list of registry adjustments that have to be made - which may fix the problem.

http :// support.microsoft.com/?id=817379

Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access errors occur when SSL or forms-based authentication is required for Exchange Server 2003[/url]

I have been trying to be my pre to sync for 2 days and it doesnt look like it will happen unless something dramatic changes.
    I'm not quite following what you're saying, but I have this working correctly on my single-server system.
    My IT admin just took my Pre (he left smiling) and said he'd be back in an hour. If he gets it done, I'll post the instructions. I do have a self-signing cert on our system.
    I tried to follow the discussion on the thread and the various suggested steps.

Working with a Sprint level 2 tech spt person for 1.5 hours, I got our Exchange server certificate installed or accepted or "trusted" on the Pre. Nevertheless, I still get the same error message: "The mail server requires security policies that are not supported."

I thought someone on the thread said if you selected that you needed to make a secure connection [SSL?] and the server did not require device pinlock that it would work if you could get your Exchange certificate on the Pre. As far as I know our server does not require device pin lock, but does require an encrypted (SSL) connection [part of the instruction for a WinMo device is to check the box for this requirement].

I did not find anywhere on the Microsoft EAS set up screen on the Pre the option to tell the Pre that SSL was required. It only asks for email address, server web address, domain name, user name and password. With all of that, I still get "The mail server requires security policies that are not supported."

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by spaine View Post

Working with a Sprint level 2 tech spt person for 1.5 hours, I got our Exchange server certificate installed or accepted or "trusted" on the Pre. Nevertheless, I still get the same error message: "The mail server requires security policies that are not supported."

I thought someone on the thread said if you selected that you needed to make a secure connection [SSL?] and the server did not require device pinlock that it would work if you could get your Exchange certificate on the Pre. As far as I know our server does not require device pin lock, but does require an encrypted (SSL) connection [part of the instruction for a WinMo device is to check the box for this requirement].

I did not find anywhere on the Microsoft EAS set up screen on the Pre the option to tell the Pre that SSL was required. It only asks for email address, server web address, domain name, user name and password. With all of that, I still get "The mail server requires security policies that are not supported."

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    How did you verify that a PIN lock is not required?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wbsaz View Post
    I have read every post...
    The Palm Pro and the HTC Touch and iPhone just allowed me to enter the info and sync. My IT guys are not going to change the world for me-either it works or it doesn't. I don't have control of our server to make changes... how can it work on the Palm Pro and then not work seamlessly on this new "iPhone killer" ? This is a monumental "f up" by Palm. They said they have "escalated" me to a level 2 technician and to expect a call within 24 hours. I have no contacts, no calendar and no email... wow-what a great phone!?!?!

This might just be the straw that takes me back to the iPhone.
    It's advertised to work with Outlook and push email... all over the internet.
    I am a consumer techy-not a server techy... I want to be able to use this with the same ease I can use other devices. If it's not ready for release, than don't release it. This is like Porsche coming out with a cool new car that has a max speed limit of 30 mph...but, if you climb under the hood and call a mechanic, they can help you to get it up to 200 mph...
    NO-I WANT IT TO WORK WHEN I BUY IT, STUPID!

EITHER IT WORKS WHEN TECH SUPPORT CALLS ME BACK, OR I LEAVE SPRINT AFTER 15 YEARS -
    WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO SYNC MY OUTLOOK, I MIGHT AS WELL HAVE A STAR-TAC!
    SMACK A PALM ENGINEER TODAY, PLEASE!

hhhmmmmm...goodbye.

Funny that we can't wait for the phone to come out..."blah blah blah 1st half of '09, what is that!!...". Then, when they get it out because everyone's freaking out, we get "WHAT! This phone's doesn't wash my car out of the box!!??? What a P.O.S.!!!".

Is the EAS an issue? Yes. Is it an oversight? Yes. Is it a BAD oversight? Yes. Is it a COMPLETE loss? No.

EAS works for some. My company also requires a pin/password policy on the server side. They will also not change 1 policy for 1 person. It's an issue but not a loss. Will the update be out today, tomorrow, next week? I hope so but I promise you I'm not returning my Pre. Right now I check my info through OWA on my Pre web browser. Is it the BEST? No! But I'm certain that the issue is being addressed.

The phone is out. The phone is PRE-MENDOUS! The iphone had it's issues. The Treo Pro has it's issues. That said I'll bet that 6 months from now those of us that kept our phones will be laughing at all of you that *****ed and moaned and bailed before the rest of the updates hit.

So...goodbye!
    I have not verified that. My IT person is out so I'm running blind. I suspect, however, that I am mistaken and that there are device security policies on our server which didn't create a problem for my Treo 650 [still up and running and gettin my emails, etc., thru Goodlink Messaging] or my WM Samsung Epix which I had for three months recently [don't get me started on that story].
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I need a solution that is as seamless as WM is with Exchange.

You are not going to get that. Microsoft owns Exchange. Microsoft owns WinMo. Windows is always going to have the smoothest working clients for Exchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by spaine View Post

That message spells it out for you. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the way it is.
    Your system is setup for EAS features that the Pre does not support. This was discussed in depth here when the "leaked" Sprint document was released.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That message spells it out for you. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the way it is.
    Your system is setup for EAS features that the Pre does not support. This was discussed in depth here when the "leaked" Sprint document was released.
    I really hope they fix this soon...
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast