06/24/2009, 10:13 AM
First, I want you all to know I was not paid or encouraged to post this. I am just so thankful to have this EAS working now, I felt others should know how I got it fixed.
I started with the SSL date and time error that has been so well documented. We had been using a self signed certficate, so I tried getting a free 30 certficate from RapidSSL. I installed the certficate on our default web site in IIS, as well as installing the certficate on my PRE. This resulted in being able to connect the phone with Exchange, but now I was getting the well documented Empty Outbox only.
I spent most of a day reading about this new problem, with all sorts of various fixed being claimed, most of which were way beyond my level of expertise. I have some basic knowlege of how this all works, but am definitely not a network admin. Our company is small, and as the owner I have to wear many hats, one of which is trying to keep I T going. We have had other smart phones in the past and have always had a terrible time getting EAS to work. In fact another employee has a Treo 700wx and his Active Sync was cureently not working either.
So, how did I manage to get this working?
I found a refernce in a thread to a company called TechnoKOZ. They guarantee to fix your EAS problems for a flat fee of $175. And, if they cannot fix it, they won't charge you.
Normally I would be pretty skepticle, but I had wasted a lot of time and figured if its guaranteed, how much can I lose. My guess is that is they were so confident they probably knew something simple that maybe was a default setting in Exchange server, flip one switch and it all works again?
Anyway, I contacted them. They set up a webex session for about an hour later, and called back when they said they would. We logged into the server together and I could see everything he was doing, and could cut him off at any time. He systematically went through my setup, quite quickly, and within about 10 minutes he said it was fixed. I entered my Exchange information on my Pre and it immidiately began to sync. Meanwhile, my friend with the Treo 700 sent me a message that his phone had just started syncing too!
To be honest, I don't know the exact change he made, but I did see the the SSL is still active as well as the forms based authentication, so the fix was not to just turn all of the security off.
With the amount of time I wasted, the $175 was a total bargain, even if it only took him probably a total of 15 minutes on the phone with me.
Once again, I'm not getting anything for posting this. I'm just so thrilled it works.