Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    I tried this yesterday in anticipation of getting the Pre, and noticed right off that on any contacts that have more than one e-mail (which is many of mine) only the first email is making it to Google contacts. Has anyone else experienced this? And what fix, if any, have you found?

    I'm really worried about losing data I don't even realize is being lost with this migration. I have 3000 or so contacts accumulated over years, some with lots of detail, and I don't want to just vanish. Ugh.....

    Thanks.
  2. timmo's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #2  
    I REALLY hope this isn't true. I tested CompanionLink quite a bit this week (Palm Desktop on Windows, and I use a Palm Centro), and everything seemed to have transferred over okay with the following exceptions:
    1) IM names didn't transfer, but they did get input as an additional field in Google Contacts.
    2) Birthdays and Anniversaries didn't transfer in the right category, but were saved in additional fields in Google Contacts.
    3) If you have really long notes for some contacts (like I do), it cuts off to a certain point. It actually transfers quite a bit of the notes, but I'm glad I tested it. I had to save my remaining notes in a separate database for those key contacts so that I don't lose that information.

    It seemed to have carried over my multiple phone numbers and email addresses okay. I was surprised because many of my contacts do not follow the same order as I set in the CompanionLink software, so I was worried phone numbers, fax numbers and email addresses were all gonna get scrambled. But I couldn't find one contact where that happened. So I felt pretty confident using this tool starting tomorrow. But your post is worrying me again.

    I'm going to check out the Palm Data Transfer Assistant first to see how that works. If that doesn't work how I like to get my contacts and calendar info into Google, then I'm going to start over and use CompanionLink. Either way, I do plan on using CompanionLink to sync my Palm Desktop (since I love Palm Desktop...actually I use Agendus for Palm Desktop).

    Make sure you back up all your Palm Desktop data! I'm doing that first before I do anything so that I can always restore in case something goes wrong. This cloud business is stressing me out! BUT...I'm excited how this is all going to work...ready to get Synergized!
  3. Clcto's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #3  
    Mike, you didn't mention your data source, but I assume Palm Desktop.

    I verified today a problem in CompanionLink where multiple label emails are not getting to google Correctly. On Palm, they would be labeled "Email", and on Google "Work"

    Email: myfriend-at-hisurl.com => myfriend-at-hisurl.com [Work]
    Email: myfriend-at-anotherurl.com => (not transferred)

    I don't think any data will be lost. But also it should definitely be sent to Google, which is in Sync with the Pre phone.

    I put a priority status on fixing this and expect the fix to be posted this week. Please check for an update from CompanionLink-dot-com -> Downloads -> Updates after about Wed June 10, 2009 or so. You will see the fix on the release notes on that webpage.

    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    Last edited by Clcto; 06/06/2009 at 06:32 PM.
  4. #4  
    Clcto, do you know when companionlink for google/outlook will support MS Outlook notes sync? Your site says "coming soon".

    Thanks,

    Lewis
  5. jjinwi's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #5  
    I've been using gSyncit & it has been working great for me... plus it only costs $9.99!!!

    -jj
  6. Clcto's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77 View Post
    Clcto, do you know when companionlink for google/outlook will support MS Outlook notes sync?
    Lewis,

    We hear this need loud and clear.

    I have set a deadline of June 22, 2009 for us to come up with some solution to moving Palm Memo Pad/Outlook Notes to Google in such a way as they land OTA on the Palm Pre in some logical place (preferably as Pre Memos).

    I'm open to anyone's suggestions on features at this time. Whatever we do is subject to the capabilities of the Pre, and also must be supported by Google's published API's.

    Upgrades to CompanionLink are free, and the software is always upward compatible so whatever we do you should be able to download it in about two weeks.

    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
  7. timmo's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post

    I don't think any data will be lost. But also it should definitely be sent to Google, which is in Sync with the Pre phone.
    Yikes...I just now finished my first sync between CompanionLink and Google from Palm Desktop (on Windows), and I do see a lot of errors within my Contacts. A lot of email addresses within contacts did not make it over to Google. For some reason many email addresses (after the first one in each contact) got overridden with the first email address listed within that same contact (if that makes sense). For example, the first email was xxx@comcast.net, the 2nd email was xxx@fuse.net, and the 3rd email was xxx@gmail.com. The 2nd and 3rd email addresses in Palm Desktop got overridden with the xxx@comcast.net address (so the xxx@comcast.net shows 3 times and purged the other 2). Google Contacts reflects the same data, so I lost the last 2 email addresses for that contact (and many others).

    Also, I see that not all the IM names made it over to Google, and now my Palm Desktop data is missing it. For example, I have a friend with both an AIM and MSN account. The AIM account made it over, but the MSN did not make it over and was subsequently removed on Palm Desktop.

    I don't know why the above didn't happen when I was testing it out earlier this week (using a test account in Google). Not sure what I'm going to do now. I did backup all PIM data from Palm Desktop. It appears that only Contacts is having problems (Calendars appear to be fine). These issues I'm having with Contacts could also be related to the fact that the "Phone Labels" setting within CompanionLink don't line up with every single contact I have in Palm Desktop (because I would manually change the source to what the information pertained to (e.g. "Work" to "Email")).

    I might have to start over. Or maybe I'll just live with it and correct things over time...yikes. Oh well. It is a cool product in that it allows me to continue to use Palm Desktop. Like I said, Calendars appear to be spot on.

    Thanks for letting us know about the developments you are working on with CompanionLink.
  8. Clcto's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by timmo View Post
    I might have to start over. Or maybe I'll just live with it and correct things over time...yikes. Oh well. It is a cool product in that it allows me to continue to use Palm Desktop. Like I said, Calendars appear to be spot on.
    Timmo,

    CompanionLink made an automatic backup of before you started synchronizing. If you want to restore it yourself, look for a "Contact.Orig" file and/or Contact.001 file. DO NOT ERASE OR RENAME THIS FILE. Instead, close Palm Desktop, save your current Contact file, copy and paste the *.Orig file over it, then reopen Palm Desktop. The *.Orig file is a copy of your data before the first sync by CompanionLink.

    Data issues can occur if you sync to an empty Google account, and then switch to a full one, depending on the data values. Our techs can help you with these issues. Also noted the email field issues when one contact has multiple fields labeled "Email" as noted at the top of this thread. We'll get a fix for that pronto. It takes a couple business days for us to fix, test and post an update, so look for it Wednesday evening.

    For further technical help email support-at-companionlink.com. Our phone system is not active on weekends but I have techs checking the email to cover Palm Pre launch issues. If you send an email today, you will get a reply email and if you include your phone number a callback before Monday.

    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
  9.    #9  
    Wayland -

    I did exactly that: synched up to a dummy google account I made up. I have another one (also with no data in it) that I will sync to when/if I get the Pre (have a lot of questions about the Pre, but that's another topic...) I had it set to just sync Palm Desktop data to Google--no two way sync. Took a couple attempts to get all my calendar data over, but eventually worked. Will I have an issue if I change to another Google account, even if it is also one with no data in it? have never used the email, contacts or calendar there. thanks.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    Lewis,

    We hear this need loud and clear.

    I have set a deadline of June 22, 2009 for us to come up with some solution to moving Palm Memo Pad/Outlook Notes to Google in such a way as they land OTA on the Palm Pre in some logical place (preferably as Pre Memos).

    I'm open to anyone's suggestions on features at this time. Whatever we do is subject to the capabilities of the Pre, and also must be supported by Google's published API's.

    Upgrades to CompanionLink are free, and the software is always upward compatible so whatever we do you should be able to download it in about two weeks.

    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    Thanks for the support! Definitely, notes sync would be great!

    Another is Google Tasks. Any word on when Google will release the API for their new Tasks feature? So far, there's no way that I can see to sync tasks, and it's a bit of a bummer.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    Lewis,

    We hear this need loud and clear.

    I have set a deadline of June 22, 2009 for us to come up with some solution to moving Palm Memo Pad/Outlook Notes to Google in such a way as they land OTA on the Palm Pre in some logical place (preferably as Pre Memos).

    I'm open to anyone's suggestions on features at this time. Whatever we do is subject to the capabilities of the Pre, and also must be supported by Google's published API's.

    Upgrades to CompanionLink are free, and the software is always upward compatible so whatever we do you should be able to download it in about two weeks.

    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Look forward to seeing this functionality.
  12. timmo's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post

    Data issues can occur if you sync to an empty Google account, and then switch to a full one, depending on the data values. Our techs can help you with these issues. Also noted the email field issues when one contact has multiple fields labeled "Email" as noted at the top of this thread. We'll get a fix for that pronto. It takes a couple business days for us to fix, test and post an update, so look for it Wednesday evening.
    Thanks for the tips, Wayland. I will try this restore process.

    Another issue I found is that if you have any notes in parenthesis next to phone numbers in Palm Desktop, those phone numbers do not transfer over into Google at all (I mean zero numbers transferred for the contact, including those numbers that originally had no notes attached to them). Looking back at my Palm Desktop data for that same contact, several things happened (an example with 1 of my contacts):
    1) the 1st number (labeled "Work) got deleted (which originally did not have any notes next to the number);
    2) the 2nd (labeled "Other") and 3rd (labeled "Fax") numbers (that both originally had notes next to the number) is retained okay in Palm Desktop only;
    3) the 4th (labeled "Other") number (which originally had no notes next to it) got replaced with the original 2nd number (with the original notes retained from the 2nd number), so I lost this 4th number altogether with a duplication of the 2nd number in its place;
    4) the 5th (labeled "Work") number (which originally had notes next to it) got deleted altogether from Palm Desktop.

    So it looks like CompanionLink doesn't support phone numbers with notes next to them in parenthesis (it won't transfer over ANY of the numbers regardless whether or not they had notes). I don't know if many people do this other than me...I do it a lot for many contacts to notate what the number is for (e.g. various support and fax numbers at an airline, cell phone company (check minutes usage, etc.), etc.).

    Looks like I have to cleanup my contacts to retain this type of information by deleting these notes I have in parenthesis.

    To help explain this madness , attached are pictures of the before and after in Palm Desktop.

    Just wanted to mention this in case anyone else does this with their contacts data.

    ***EDIT***
    I changed the settings under "Phone Format" un-checking every option (including "Automatically include extensions"). By having every option un-checked in this tab, when I re-synced contacts into Google, it retained my notes next to each number.

    Note that there is still a problem with entries being deleted/overwritten as noted above, but hopefully this is something that will get fixed in the future. I still may have to get rid of all my notes next to numbers in the hopes that this will properly bring over my contact information into Google.

    In the meantime, I am only syncing Date Book and To Do List until the fix comes out Wednesday night regarding the multiple email addresses bug.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by timmo; 06/08/2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: FOUND PARTIAL WORKAROUND
  13. #13  
    Contact Notes get truncated in Outlook too. most PIM apps will truncate the PD Contact Notes.
  14. #14  
    CLcto:

    First, I'd like to say that it is FANTASTIC that you are here!!! That, and the fact that tech support via e-mail is fast really says a lot! I'm currently using a trial version of CompanionLink for Google (via Outlook). I was thinking of waiting until PocketMirror came out, but you being here has sealed a deal for CompanionLink!!!

    OK, I have a couple of questions...

    1) Do you guys plan on mapping the birthday and web address fields? Currently, birthdays show up in the notes section in Google (ie Birthday: 1/11/1111). Web address doesn't seem to map at all. The Pre doesn't seem to grab the birthday field from Google, only Facebook, but hopefully that will change with an update!

    2) When will the Pre add-on be available? Will it allow direct syncing with the Pre like PocketMirror, or only via Google?

    Thanks again!!!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  15. Clcto's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    1) Do you guys plan on mapping the birthday and web address fields?

    2) When will the Pre add-on be available?
    Lax,

    Thanks for the kind comments.

    1. I'll be sure Birthday and URL/Website get mapped right away. I'm afraid this was just an oversight. Look for it Wed evening June 10, 2009. After updating to that release, select Options->Reread Palm/Outlook to populate those fields. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

    2. I've seen the video, and it definitely sounded like Dieter said "CompanionLink" and Wifi and showing "Outlook" on a Palm Pre. Whatever he said, it wasn't our product, and we don't put the word "Outlook" on a Palm Pre, Outlook being a registered trademark belonging to Microsoft Corporation. Our current focus is synchronization from Desktop to Google via your PC internet connection using our CompanionLink for Google product.

    We may do a WiFi solution soon. We are a rapid development shop, and once we gain a good angle we can create new product within days. People who purchase our product now will be able to upgrade for free to our new solutions. In June 2009, WiFi sync is not a current project for us.

    For now, Outlook through Google and Palm Desktop through Google is supported by CompanionLink using our two-year-old CompanionLink for Google product. It's free for one-time migration and for the first 14 days. If you choose to continue using Outlook and Palm Desktop, and want updates on your Pre, it costs only $29 one time lifetime purchase. CompanionLink needs no special WiFi settings or changes to firewall. It supports Palm Desktop 4.1.2, 4.2 and 4.1.4, and all versions of Outlook including Exchange server and Outlook add-ins like Respond, Business Contact Manager (BCM) and Bynari. I can't believe people horse around with export and import when you can just install CompanionLink, select your data source, and move your data in under 2 minutes to Google for free (for the first 14 days).

    ***

    Wynand32: When Google releases a Task API we will change our software to support it. About a year ago we got frustrated with waiting, and kludged tasks into the Calendar which works just fine. Currently CompanionLink is the only way to sync Tasks to the Pre, because they sync within the calendar application. We think we'll do the same and put Note Pad into the Contact application, which is a hokey kludge but it will get them to the Pre.

    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    Last edited by Clcto; 06/07/2009 at 03:41 PM.
  16. #16  
    Hello,
    I just downloaded the companionlink for google 3.o. I am able to add and delete events from outlook and see the effect in google calendar.
    But if I edit an event within Outlook, the effect is not seen in google calendar.

    I don't understand this issue and was hoping there are some solutions.

    Thank you,
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    Lax,

    Thanks for the kind comments.

    1. I'll be sure Birthday and URL/Website get mapped right away. I'm afraid this was just an oversight. Look for it Wed evening June 10, 2009. After updating to that release, select Options->Reread Palm/Outlook to populate those fields. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

    2. I've seen the video, and it definitely sounded like Dieter said "CompanionLink" and Wifi and showing "Outlook" on a Palm Pre. Whatever he said, it wasn't our product, and we don't put the word "Outlook" on a Palm Pre, Outlook being a registered trademark belonging to Microsoft Corporation. Our current focus is synchronization from Desktop to Google via your PC internet connection using our CompanionLink for Google product.

    We may do a WiFi solution soon. We are a rapid development shop, and once we gain a good angle we can create new product within days. People who purchase our product now will be able to upgrade for free to our new solutions. In June 2009, WiFi sync is not a current project for us.

    For now, Outlook through Google and Palm Desktop through Google is supported by CompanionLink using our two-year-old CompanionLink for Google product. It's free for one-time migration and for the first 14 days. If you choose to continue using Outlook and Palm Desktop, and want updates on your Pre, it costs only $29 one time lifetime purchase. CompanionLink needs no special WiFi settings or changes to firewall. It supports Palm Desktop 4.1.2, 4.2 and 4.1.4, and all versions of Outlook including Exchange server and Outlook add-ins like Respond, Business Contact Manager (BCM) and Bynari. I can't believe people horse around with export and import when you can just install CompanionLink, select your data source, and move your data in under 2 minutes to Google for free (for the first 14 days).

    ***

    Wynand32: When Google releases a Task API we will change our software to support it. About a year ago we got frustrated with waiting, and kludged tasks into the Calendar which works just fine. Currently CompanionLink is the only way to sync Tasks to the Pre, because they sync within the calendar application. We think we'll do the same and put Note Pad into the Contact application, which is a hokey kludge but it will get them to the Pre.

    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    GREAT! I'm glad the updates will be in on the 10th! Will it remove the note entries it placed in Google, or will we have to manually do it? It's a one time thing, so no biggie if we have to remove it.

    Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot to ask in the first post...
    I downloaded an update that, among other things, was suppose to sync photos (I THINK it was build 3057 of version 3). Since then, if I add a photo to Google it will show up / update Outlook. However, if I add a photo to Outlook it doesn't show up / update Google. Will this change on the 10th as well???

    Thanks again!!!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  18. #18  
    Not really a follow up message, but I had been using Companion Link for 12 days. I noticed that my contacts from outlook 2003 to Google synced well, but they did not fully sync to my pre. Odd, and i was not sure if the problem resided between pre and Google, or companionlink. All of a sudden, companion link simply stopped working and the options grey out when you open it. It totally freezes. This started 3 days before the end of the 14 day evaluation period. I was happy with the product, and encouraged by seeing these posts by Wayland. Anyone else have a similar problem?
  19. timmo's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by draashb View Post
    Hello,
    I just downloaded the companionlink for google 3.o. I am able to add and delete events from outlook and see the effect in google calendar.
    But if I edit an event within Outlook, the effect is not seen in google calendar.

    I don't understand this issue and was hoping there are some solutions.

    Thank you,
    I am having a similar issue when I am using Palm Desktop with CompanionLink for Google. For example, if I have an untimed event in Palm Desktop (which syncs fine with Google Calendar using CompanionLink), if at a later point in time I go in and edit the untimed even in Palm Desktop to a "timed" event, the updated event (untimed to timed) does NOT sync into Google Calendar. In Google Calendar it will still show the event as untimed, but Palm Desktop shows the timed event like I originally changed it to be.

    To get around this until it gets fixed (hopefully it will be...I should email this issue), if I need to change an untimed event to a timed event, I delete the untimed event in Palm Desktop and re-create it as a timed event. This way everything is in sync.

    I am also having similar type issues with recurring events. For example, say I have a meeting that occurs monthly on the 3rd Tuesday of each month. If for this month the meeting gets moved from Tuesday to Wednesday, I move the event in Palm Desktop to Wednesday (indicating in Palm Desktop "For this occurrence only" for the event). So Palm Desktop will show this event on Wednesday, and properly retain the Tuesday appts. going forward in future months (since I clicked on "for this occurrence only"). Unfortunately, Google Calendar gets messed up...it will automatically move the entire series to Wednesdays and also keep the Tuesday appointments, so now I have duplicates and can't tell which one is the correct one when I look on Google Calendar or on my Pre. I have to revert back to Outlook at work to see which is the correct meeting date and then delete all my Palm Desktop appts. and Google Calendar appts. and re-setup the whole series again. Very painful.

    The workaround for this issue until it gets fixed (again, i really should email this to CompanionLink unless they read this ) is to delete the current Tuesday "occurrence" and click on "for this occurrence only", and manually setup the Wednesday appt. This way I am not messing with the "series" and go thru the above painful steps to try and get everything back in line.

Posting Permissions