1.    #1  
    I am looking for a solution to use the Pre to help my wife and I manage our family schedule. Currently, I use Exchange/ActiveSync on WM and she just keeps her calendar local on her Centro. We are considering two Pres.

Is it possible to sync google calendars without also syncing google email from the same account?

Does anyone else have a nice solution to the family calendaring we would like to do?

I apologize if this has been covered... my searching didn't find it

Thanks
    ditpixs
    Share and subscribe to eachothers calendars via Google.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  3.    #3  
    I would do that, but don't want to sync my email with google (don't want all 500+ useless contacts coming down to my Pre). Can I just sync calendars with google and not my email and contacts?
    Missed that part (calendar only) but I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    NachoB, you are incorrect.

Ditpxs... once you add the google account, you are able to delete the individual components. Here's how it works.

1. You add your gmail or Google Apps account. Email, contacts, and calendars are added.
    2. Now, you can delete the email account. (Calendars and Contacts remain.)
    3. Now go into the Contacts app. Remove your Google Account. (Calendar remains).
    4. Now you only have your Google calendars for that account. Make sure you each have full rights to each others calendars in Google (subscibe to each others) and you're good to go.

I can 100% verfiy this. I've done it... I mean my *friend* has done it. ;o)
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  6.    #6  
    Akula34, thanks for the info. For me, the ability to share family calendars is one of the biggest draws. Do you (or your *friend*) know if you can do the same thing (calendar only) with an Exchange account? If so, we might go the hosted exchange route.

Ditpixs
    Quote Originally Posted by ditpixs View Post
    Akula34, thanks for the info. For me, the ability to share family calendars is one of the biggest draws. Do you (or your *friend*) know if you can do the same thing (calendar only) with an Exchange account? If so, we might go the hosted exchange route.
    With Exchange Activesync, you pick, on your device, which services you want to use. You can choose one or all among mail,calendar, contacts, and tasks.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    ditpixs... I wondered the same thing myself about Exchange (hosted). The disadvantage is that you can only have ONE calendar with Exchange. It's a limitation of Microscrap.

I prefer Exchange for Contacts, but Google for Calendar (except the lack of timezones). You can have multiple calendars (categories) and subscribe to your wifes. You'll even have the ability to create appointments and edit items on HER calendar. I'd go with Google for the calendar.

If you're considering a hosted Exchange service, I'd consider Google Apps standard. I'm thoroughly impressed with it. I use my own domain for email. Calendar works great. Take a look. Best part.... it's free!
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  9.    #9  
    Perfect... I wasn't sure what the interface options would be on the Pre coming from a WinMo phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ditpixs View Post
    Perfect... I wasn't sure what the interface options would be on the Pre coming from a WinMo phone.
    If you purchase/rent/subscribe to your own hosted exchange, typically you'll be allowed to control what is synchronized from the server side too.