Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have both gmail and yahoo email accounts. Either one better or doesn't matter when activating Pre?
    You can use either, but GMail is the preferred provider for the Pre.
    IMO pick one - Gmail - and be consistent.
  4.    #4  
    So what are the advantages of profiling and activating the phone with Gmail?
    Can you turn off the Gmail scaning all your mail for keywords and then linking that toyour search history?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevelandrocker View Post
    So what are the advantages of profiling and activating the phone with Gmail?
    consistency, silly.
    I set up a GMail account for the purpose of transferring my contacts, but the account I'm going to use almost exclusively on my Pre is my MobileMe/.Mac account. And now with Apple supporting the IMAP IDLE command it should be instant push too. I know it is on my BlackBerry, so I expect the same from the Pre.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Can you turn off the Gmail scaning all your mail for keywords and then linking that toyour search history?
    I think you've misunderstood one of the controversial features about GMail. While it does pull keywords from your emails to display ads geared towards what it believes are your interests on the Web version, it does not store the data, nor does it place it in your "search history"

You have nothing to worry about using a g-mail account.
  9.    #9  
    So, the phone won't function as well if I use Yahoo?
    Gmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I won't be using Gmail until they change their policy. Email should be private.

Privacy-advocates also regard the lack of disclosed data retention and correlation policies as problematic.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    It's funny how many people you find that are desperately trying to dump yahoo for gmail but can't because everyone still emails them there. Personally, I hate yahoo and found Gmail to be better in every way. And the tight integration into my (future) phone only makes it better.
  12.    #12  
    So, gmail is definitely the preferred email for the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevelandrocker View Post
    So, gmail is definitely the preferred email for the Pre?
    You definitely can't go wrong with Gmail. I think it's becoming the de facto standard webmail platform, so you'll see more attention given to integration with Gmail than anything else. (Except basic POP & IMAP support I guess.) Can you even IMAP with Yahoo?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Do you need Gmail or Yahoo with the Pre if you use Comcast e-mail? I'm confused.
    If you just want to read your email, any account is fine. But for importing contacts, it needs to be one of the blessed platforms like GMail.
    I'll be using my GMail account for contact and calendar syncing, but will keep using my Yahoo! account that I've had for 10 years as my main personal email. I don't get any email at that address that can't wait 15 minutes or more to receive on my Pre. The email I'm worried about getting quickly is my work email, which I'll be getting via EAS.

Really, my only question is how to handle tasks. I don't want my work tasks no my Pre, but since the Pre doesn't sync tasks with Google (yet), there's no cloud sync for them. Not quite sure how I'm going to handle that one; I do like using Outlook tasks for personal stuff.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    So if I get a Gmail pushed to the Pre, and then delete it off the Pre, do I have the option whether or not it also gets auto deleted from my Gmail account?

I've read somewhere that you can control how many days worth of emails get pushed to the phone, and that they get removed after some time -- true?
    Quote Originally Posted by Larson View Post
    So if I get a Gmail pushed to the Pre, and then delete it off the Pre, do I have the option whether or not it also gets auto deleted from my Gmail account?

I've read somewhere that you can control how many days worth of emails get pushed to the phone, and that they get removed after some time -- true?
    With IMAP, everything is stored on the server at all times, unlike POP3. So, it's preferred to not delete everything like you would on POP3, because that deletion gets synced back to the server and deleted there. (Whereas POP3 is a much more standalone experience.) Of note is that also the 'read' flag gets synced back to the server, so pretty much you get the same email from whatever method you connect.

You can set in pretty much every mobile email client, including the Pre's email client, how many days of messages you want to store on your device. This is different from actually deleting them, because it doesn't touch anything on the server, just downloads however much you tell it to and removes things only from the device, not the server.
    If I recall, gmail supports IMAP, yahoo does not - only POP3.

If I recall, IMAP supports push mail, POP3 does not.

Can someone confirm?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    i wish gmail would fix their contacts management. I hate it that every email is in the contacts list.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast