Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    can the Pre handle multiple Gmail accounts? If so, how many total email accounts can the Pre support?
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thanks! Although a long-time Palm user, this will be my first time with push email & a smartphone, and that explanation helps a lot.

Still keeping my Yahoo account for the tons of junk/whenever emails. Gmail will just be for friends & family, bill notices, or other urgent items.
    Eventually I'll set up a 2nd Gmail account and start moving the Yahoo junk to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    If I recall, gmail supports IMAP, yahoo does not - only POP3.

If I recall, IMAP supports push mail, POP3 does not.

Can someone confirm?
    IMAP supports a sort of pseudo-push, which ends up being transparent to the end-user, through the Idle command, which Gmail and most other IMAP providers now support.

Honestly, POP3 is a horrible standard. It works great if you're only using one email client on one computer and don't ever plan on checking your email from anywhere else, but these days, who does that?
    I like Yahoo since all PalmOS PIM functions can sync to all Yahoo PIM. Am really bummin that Palm does not use Memo's anymore, just sticky notes. I have about 400 memos, many that I often reference.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Gmail is definitely the way to go! The Email has better SPAM filters than Yahoo (which is why my Yahoo account is my Junkmail account), better Calendar, and it manages Contacts better!

Oh...and it supports IMAP IDLE for FREE! You have to pay to get POP3 access from Yahoo. If it wasnt for Flckr, LaunchCast, & their Fantasy Leagues, I wouldve ditched them awhile ago!
    Yahoo does not offer IMAP, maybe if you pay for the mail plus. Google does for free and syncs calendar with my phone as well as the contacts and email. Thats a huge plus over Yahoo.

I have used the same yahoo account since the mid - nineties. A very very long time. But guess what, I switched this week and I'm loving the way google interfaces with my phone, outlook, etc..

Should have made the jump much earlier, didn't really know what I was missing. Also switching my home page from my.yahoo to igoogle. Again, very happy with the switch after just a few days. And I was using my.yahoo forever as well.

Throw in google docs, picasa, sketch-up, maps, and whatever else google does that i havent discovered, and its easy to see why Goggle has become so successful.
    First of all I'm pretty sure that yahoo accounts can't do imap for free.you have to pay for that feature. Gmail is free.

What i have done is set up a second gmail account for all of my junk e-mail accounts and set it to download all the mail from the other accounts. Pretty simple. I can then set it to push the second g-mail account to the pre.

What I want to know is if there is a way to set it up so that I don't get alerts when i get e-mail from one, but do for my mail account. I don't need an alert when i get an e-mail from overstock.com about a sale, but would love when when i get a one from my brother.
    Can't you set up g-mail to have yahoo mail pushed to it?
    Then if you have gmail pushed on the Pre, the yahoo mail would be part of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Can't you set up g-mail to have yahoo mail pushed to it?
    Then if you have gmail pushed on the Pre, the yahoo mail would be part of it?
    Ya, i don't do it with yahoo mail, but i do it with a couple other pop3 accounts. It actually works pretty well. I don't know how often gmail downloads from the other accounts but it works better than i thought it would.
    i'm setting up everything with Gmail to be consistent across the device (Palm Profile and Personal Email). also PUSH IMAP Gmail will be sweet if true but i'll believe it when i see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by iboost79 View Post
    can the Pre handle multiple Gmail accounts? If so, how many total email accounts can the Pre support?
    more than one but less than a billion.
    Will the Pre automatically make a contact for every Yahoo address you've ever replied to, like it does with Gmail? If not, that's a point in Yahoo's favor, as far as I'm concerned.

As for POP3 vs. imap, I don't really want ALL of my email history on my Phone. I've got 100s of megabytes of email on Gmail, but I don't want all of that on my Pre, especially with no email search capability. I only keep recent or highly important emails on my Treo.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    gmail. plus with google wave coming end of this year first of next...
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Will the Pre automatically make a contact for every Yahoo address you've ever replied to, like it does with Gmail? If not, that's a point in Yahoo's favor, as far as I'm concerned.

As for POP3 vs. imap, I don't really want ALL of my email history on my Phone. I've got 100s of megabytes of email on Gmail, but I don't want all of that on my Pre, especially with no email search capability. I only keep recent or highly important emails on my Treo.
    You can set a time frame of how far back you want your email to sync. Skip to 1:50 in this video.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Update: Yahoo now supports IMAP. I got it to work on Treo Versamail...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...setup-pre.html
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Well, you're putting this the wrong way. The Pre doesn't make a contact for every Gmail address that a person's replied to. Gmail does that on its own. The Pre simply syncs whatever contacts are there.

Yahoo doesn't do this, but then it's irrelevant as far as the Pre is concerned because the Pre can't sync contacts with Yahoo in any case.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12