1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how the Pre will work with Google Apps? Will it just treat it like an Exchange Account using active sync? Or will it have the ability to sync with Google Apps like it was a Gmail account?

I ask because for example the Android G1 can sync with a Gmail account naively but can only sync with a Google Apps account using the Exchange Active Sync protocol.

Another question would be if it is possible to still use Google Apps for my email account (me@mydomain.com) and then have the Pre use my Gmail account for Calendar and Contact syncing?

I also wonder if there really is any native syncing for gmail accounts or if the Pre just uses Exchange Active Sync no matter what?

TIA for any informed answers
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    If the Pre's email program has the least bit of capability (as I'm sure it does), it should be able to stay synced with Gmail using IMAP Idle.

Since the Pre is also MS Exchange compatible, you will be able to set up your Pre to sync with Google's exchange server at m.google.com to synchronize your calendar and contacts in real time.
    It's my understanding Google's synchronization for email is IMAP idle and the contacts and calendar are Exchange ActiveSync. I'm not sure there is such a thing as native, and if there is I'm not sure what advantage it would have.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Does anyone know how the Pre will work with Google Apps? Will it just treat it like an Exchange Account using active sync? Or will it have the ability to sync with Google Apps like it was a Gmail account?

I ask because for example the Android G1 can sync with a Gmail account naively but can only sync with a Google Apps account using the Exchange Active Sync protocol.

Another question would be if it is possible to still use Google Apps for my email account (me@mydomain.com) and then have the Pre use my Gmail account for Calendar and Contact syncing?

I also wonder if there really is any native syncing for gmail accounts or if the Pre just uses Exchange Active Sync no matter what?

TIA for any informed answers
    I always assumed that a Google Apps e-mail account would behave as a standard gmail account- it's why I just switched my email over to it. Interesting to know that the G1 doesn't use the same protocol though.

And yes, you can use your email from any other account, and still use your gmail account for Calendar and Contact syncing.