1.    #1  
    Hi I have my Gmail account set up so that all my incoming mail skips the inbox and goes directly into a certain label. Will the pre show all the labels as separte folders? Or will I not get mail that doesnt go into my inbox?
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Labels show up as folders when accessed via IMAP.
  3.    #3  
    OK cool. Do you know if I will get an alert on the bottom of the screen when i get a message or will it only do this for inbox email.
    The question is how will it handle messages with multiple labels? I've got a bazillion filters to keep it all organized and some messages fall under two (or three) labels once all is said and done.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    The question is how will it handle messages with multiple labels? I've got a bazillion filters to keep it all organized and some messages fall under two (or three) labels once all is said and done.
    That should be easy enough to test. Just hook an IMAP email client up to your gmail account. There are plenty of them available for PC & Mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by flashrocco View Post
    OK cool. Do you know if I will get an alert on the bottom of the screen when i get a message or will it only do this for inbox email.
    That's up to the email client. Chattermail can give you an alert on individual folders.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Probably just like it does now. If a message has multiple labels a copy of it appears in both folders when accessed via imap.
    I'm curious how the Pre will handle a Universal search (web, Twitter, Facebook etc) for a common name like John Smith, if you had John Smith in your phone Contact? There could be 100 John Smiths. I understand its supposed to automatically update John's phone# if he changes it without telling me or something like that...right?
    Quote Originally Posted by maroot View Post
    I'm curious how the Pre will handle a Universal search (web, Twitter, Facebook etc) for a common name like John Smith, if you had John Smith in your phone Contact? There could be 100 John Smiths. I understand its supposed to automatically update John's phone# if he changes it without telling me or something like that...right?
    Do you really have more than 5 people you know that have the exact same name?

If so, you are one well connected guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    Do you really have more than 5 people you know that have the exact same name?

If so, you are one well connected guy!
    I don't think you understood my question... No I don't have more than 5 people with the same name.... that was not the point of my question.

The point of my question is HOW DOES THE PRE HAVE THE SMARTS to know which one of the many same names in the internet (found on Twitter, Google etc.) to update on my Pre (phone).

I understand the Pre automatically updates John Doe's phone# if he changes it without telling me or something like that... right?

I just want to konw how the Pre differentiates between the right and wrong contact it finds on the internet.

I don't think you understood my question... No I don't have more than 5 people with the same name.... that was not the point of my question.

The point of my question is HOW DOES THE PRE HAVE THE SMARTS to know which one of the many same names in the internet (found on Twitter, Google etc.) to update on my Pre (phone).

I understand the Pre automatically updates John Doe's phone# if he changes it without telling me or something like that... right?

I just want to konw how the Pre differentiates between the right and wrong contact it finds on the internet.

Now that IS a good question.

My opinion is that it probably looks for a match on 2 fronts:Name and at least one other point of connection. If so, it will link the two. If not, it will leave them unlinked for you to do manual linking.

That's just my guess, and how I would program it to function. I know that it does have an option for manual linking, so in case it misses something, or is unsure.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    Now that IS a good question.

My opinion is that it probably looks for a match on 2 fronts:Name and at least one other point of connection. If so, it will link the two. If not, it will leave them unlinked for you to do manual linking.

That's just my guess, and how I would program it to function. I know that it does have an option for manual linking, so in case it misses something, or is unsure.
    Yea, I don't know exactly how its suppose to work. My guess is as good as yours.

I have a Treo 700p and will be upgrading to the Pre on Saturday.

In preperation for my Pre and to avoid wrong or duplicate contacts, I am manually updating my Gmail contacts to match the contacts on my Treo.

Then hopefully, I can select ONLY Gmail as my source for update (until I get comfortable/understand how the Pre "updates" Contact info using Synergy)
    Yea, I don't know exactly how its suppose to work. My guess is as good as yours.

I have a Treo 700p and will be upgrading to the Pre on Saturday.

In preperation for my Pre and to avoid wrong or duplicate contacts, I am manually updating my Gmail contacts to match the contacts on my Treo.

Then hopefully, I can select ONLY Gmail as my source for update (until I get comfortable/understand how the Pre "updates" Contact info using Synergy)
    I used google sync to get my contacts from my blackberry to my gmail.

I use google apps for my company's e-mail, so it'll be nice that that will all sync up to with all of my business contacts separately.

We're getting a bit off topic, but I think the question was answered anyways,
    I am having issues with my filtered emails that go to a specific label being 'pushed'. Any email from my inbox gets pushed and notified, but none of my labels do. I have to go into each label and manually 'refresh'. I have activated both the regular IMAP and advanced IMAP through gmail. I have my phone set to receive IMAP, as soon as they are received.

Anybody successfully receiving IMAP push w/ notifications with your labels?
    Quote Originally Posted by markjr1 View Post
    I am having issues with my filtered emails that go to a specific label being 'pushed'. Any email from my inbox gets pushed and notified, but none of my labels do. I have to go into each label and manually 'refresh'. I have activated both the regular IMAP and advanced IMAP through gmail. I have my phone set to receive IMAP, as soon as they are received.

I am experiencing this exact thing and have checked everywhere for a solution - I don't believe there is one yet. Chatter e-mail handled this fine with POS but the WebOS e-mail client seems lacking in this regard.
    It's not just Gmail labels - I have subfolders in my IMAP account at fastmail.fm that have to be manually synced.

I also can't get the aliases to work (sorry to be off topic).

I'm really missing Chatteremail.
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
    It's not just Gmail labels - I have subfolders in my IMAP account at fastmail.fm that have to be manually synced.

I also can't get the aliases to work (sorry to be off topic).

I'm really missing Chatteremail.
    Chatter is easily the best PDA email client ever sold. Shame they don't sell it anymore. OTOH At least the Pre supports IMAP IDLE unlike the iPhone, Windows Mobile or S60. The Blackberry client sucks for IMAP accounts too.
    Quote Originally Posted by markjr1 View Post

I'm having this exact same problem.

This is a big deal for me as I have all of my important emails in folders, anything in inbox is usually unexpected. I get a lot of alerts and need those sent to folders and not my inbox. It doesn't help when it doesn't update.

One thing I have noticed is if I refresh the folder because I know an email is in there, once I delete it the mail program shows it as having a new message.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    I'm having this exact same problem.

This is a big deal for me as I have all of my important emails in folders, anything in inbox is usually unexpected. I get a lot of alerts and need those sent to folders and not my inbox. It doesn't help when it doesn't update.

One thing I have noticed is if I refresh the folder because I know an email is in there, once I delete it the mail program shows it as having a new message.
    I am also having these issues. One workaround I have found is to have them stay in the inbox as opposed to bypassing it. I know it kind of defeats the purpose but it gets the job done.
    Last edited by orlando_c; 06/10/2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: mispelling