Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Good evening,
    I am hoping to get a Pre this weekend to replace my blackberry but am concerned whether or not I will be able to access my work emails / contacts.

My question is, will I need to have my IT department setup my Pre with my corporate outlook account or will I be able to do so myself (or even a Sprint rep when setting up my Pre)? Currently my company is not allowing iphones to access corporate outlook data, I wonder if I should expect a similar restrictions for the Pre.

I realize every company has different security restrictions, but am hoping some of you guys can help me understand my options. I really want a Pre, but I have to be able to access my Outlook. Maybe the Pre has a more secure way of accessing Outlook than an iphone????

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    I am an IT Mgr for a company that has our own exchange & Blackberry servers. If your company allows web access (OWA) then the Pre may be able to get email. It's through the web interface that Active Sync works. However, you mention that your company is prohibiting iPhones. iPhones use Active Sync also. So, if they are actively blocking iPhones then they are effectively blocking anything that uses Active Sync (Pre included).
    Blackberrys use a "Blackberry Server" that can access the Exchange server directly. No need for Active Sync.
    Sorry for the bad news.
    Quote Originally Posted by goheels1_ View Post
    Good evening,
    I am hoping to get a Pre this weekend to replace my blackberry but am concerned whether or not I will be able to access my work emails / contacts.

My question is, will I need to have my IT department setup my Pre with my corporate outlook account or will I be able to do so myself (or even a Sprint rep when setting up my Pre)? Currently my company is not allowing iphones to access corporate outlook data, I wonder if I should expect a similar restrictions for the Pre.

I realize every company has different security restrictions, but am hoping some of you guys can help me understand my options. I really want a Pre, but I have to be able to access my Outlook. Maybe the Pre has a more secure way of accessing Outlook than an iphone????

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    ask your IT guys if you can use Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) to access the mail server.

Overview of Exchange ActiveSync
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I know we have exchange access as I had an HTC Touch that connected through active-sync. I am not sure if our IT has changed our security, but I got concerned when I heard iphones were not approved to use.

Is active sync something I could setup myself? I imagine if I go to IT they will want to block access to the Pre to keep everything on blackberrys.

I really hope I can get the Pre to work with my Outlook because my blackberry is close to death and no other phones (especially blackberry's) are appealing.
    If an HTC touch works, then you should be able to get this to work.
    What is the url for web access?
    This is what you need to put into Active sync. Then along with your user domain name, password and your company's internal domain name. If you don't know these answers you'll have to contact the IT dept.
    Or, maybe you can find somebody with a HTC touch and look at these same settings on that phone.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Great to hear, I know all of this info so I should be able to connect my email without worrying about going through IT. Makes me wonder why someone with an iphone wouldn't simply do the same thing if they also have active sync.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    What is the difference between connecting via active sync and any other method?
    All you need to know is the domain name and your user name and password. And when your company's IT dept says their not allowing Iphones that most likely means they aren't helping anyone with an Iphone get connected to the exchange server. The IT dept for the organization I work for said the same thing. Guess what? A dude that works for this company got a Iphone and enter the domain name and his user name and password in the exchange setup on his phone. Now he is getting his email and calendar info.

So I say that to to say that you should be fine.
    Are you trying to hurt me?