Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1. what did you import from? Palm Desktop or Outlook or Other?
    2. how did you do it? Companionlink? Manual CSV Export/Import? Other?
    3. how smooth and easy was the process? any gotchas or tricks?
    4. how was the end result? did all fields get ported over correctly? what about "Website" field? did anything get scrambled?

THANKS!
    A few tips from Outlook to Google Contacts via CSV export here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ok-google.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    4. how was the end result? did all fields get ported over correctly? what about "Website" field? did anything get scrambled?

THANKS!
    Well I did this yesterday in preparation for Saturday. I drop my blackberry in the water fishing this weekend and fortunatly I was able to sync just not use it anymore. So I sync it one last time with Outlook.

Then I exported a CSV file. 1 for contacts and 1 for the calendar. It was cut and dry and all the contacts and appointments appear in tact. I did accidentally delete a contact, so re-imported to the file and it identified that only 1 contact was different and only imported that one. I did not have any website info, so I can't tell you about that feild.

I was going to use the campionlink software, but instead of spending $30, I will just do it manually back to Outlook to keep contacts updated.
    Imported from BB with google sync app. Went well, but website fields didnt transfer over.
    I'm hoping that Google will see the light of day with the Pre and add more functionality to their contacts area. I have all of my contacts already there due to my work using Google Apps, so I'm good.

THANKS!
    If you have a smartphone, wm, blackberry, iphone, sorry no palm... you can use google sync to easily and effortlessly sync your contacts and calendar with google.

Works great as I have not installed outlook on my 64b hp touchsmart and don't plan to, so I was left in a lurch with active sync as wmdc wont sync your contacts or calendar unless you purchase separately microsoft outlook (Which by the way really pisses me off)

anyway can't post links yet but google: google sync and you will find it.
    WORKS GREAT
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Imported from BB with google sync app. Went well, but website fields didnt transfer over.
    oops looks like I was too late. Sorry for the repeat post.
    I tried it from the Palm desktop to Google and it didn't list them by name, so I deleted it.
    I'll wait for the transfer assistant when I get the Pre.
    I used Google Sync (Exchange Protocol) to move all my Treo 800w Calender and Contact data into Google. It worked perfectly and all fields populated correctly. The only data point that does not work on Google is categories. Google has its own way of grouping contacts and for Calendars you use a separate Calendar for each category.

I should add that I always use the notes field for web address, birthdays and such so all my notes are in Google Contacts. I dont think those "extra" fields will transfer over.
    Last edited by rc46; 06/02/2009 at 09:46 AM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011

THANKS!
    1. Mac OS X - Address Book
    2. Demo of Spanning Sync
    3. Took a little while for the first sync but it went smoothly. All the contacts showed up. I made sure to clear my Google Contacts first to prevent any duplicates or conflicts.
    4. Nearly everything transfered including pictures. Only things missing are birthday and website.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001

THANKS!
    1. OSX Address Book
    2. In address book preferences it allows you to sync
    3. 1 step
    4. Perfect, it duplicated one entry that i deleted

Edited them with http://mail.google.com/mail/contacts/ui/ContactManager
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissurra View Post
    1. OSX Address Book
    2. In address book preferences it allows you to sync
    3. 1 step
    4. Perfect, it duplicated one entry that i deleted

Edited them with http://mail.google.com/mail/contacts/ui/ContactManager
    I believe this only works if you have an iPhone or iPod touch. Also, this doesn't include pictures that are in Address Book.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    I did not had to do any I was always using gmail and iPhone give you options to sync yahoo,windows address book, google .
    I have two ways to do this:

1-Export from Palm Desktop to CSV file, then Import into Google contacts and dedupe.

2-Goosync my contacts with Google and dedupe.

I tried to do the CSV thing, hoping I could make it easier, but it wouldnt import my CSV file. Maybe I have to put it in a certain order. I may just start the Goosync contacts (I have been using Goosync for the last year or two to sync my Calendar and tasks) and just be done with it. I want to get that done so I can dedupe and get it ready for the Pre Saturday.
    I've been syncing (vs. 1-way transferring) contacts between Palm Desktop and Google contacts using Companionlink for a few months now; works great. Probably overkill for a one-time transfer though.

If you have an existing google account, I'd suggest nuking any contacts that aren't in your My Contacts group. Chances are you've been accumulating "suggested contacts" that you don't want/need, and reports say they'll sync to your Pre. It's simple and painless to delete them, though: Click on My Contacts, then the "View suggestions" button. Click "select all", then delete.
    Mac user with an iPhone. I used a simple app called 'A to G'....worked in about 12 seconds. Pictures, however, did not transfer.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    I synced my Gmail/Calender and Contacts to Thunderbird/Outlook
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I have exported and deleted all personal contacts from my work Exchange account, then imported them to Gmail Contacts. My Work Exchange only has work related contacts and Gmail has all my personal contacts. Since I sync my Centro to my work’s Exchange they will be on the Centro Saturday and may be ported to the PRE. I checked with network folks and we do support EAS so they should come over automatically and I will not need the one time Sync.
    I did a CSV export from yahoo an then uploaded that file to gmail. worked perfect and was a lot easier than I expected
    I synced my treo 700wx with gmail sync. Calendar and Contact info all transferred nicely. I synced all contacts from my yahoo mail account to gmail via some gmail setup ability. I am switching from yahoo mail to gmail. This is gonna save me the $10 / year I pay yahoo, for the ability to POP with my Outlook 2003.

I havent synced my Outlook Contacts with Gmail, because there was no need (Outlook was synced with Yahoo, and I imported Yahoo to Gmail), and because there did'nt seem to be a simple and free solution.

As of right now, my Outlook Calendar syncs with GCal and Gcal syncs with my Treo. So the calendar functionality is basically synced automatically across all my platforms (Treo, GCal, Outlook) just like it was cloud based. No manual syncing needed.

The contacts sync automatically between the Treo and Gmail, but not between Gmail, and outlook. A manual syc between the treo and Outlook takes care of that. Gmail will sync my email with Outlook, but not contacts! WTF?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast