Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Why do we all have to go through this crazy "get it into google" thing? I thought you can just have the Sprint guy hook your WinMo, BB, or other phone to the Pre and it will move the contacts, right?

People made fun of me in another thread when I was surprised that this could be done, or can't it be??

I am confused!

I think the point here is when you have contacts, etc. in different places not already on your phone, the gmail option makes this very easy to accomplish and be kept in sync.
    True true...but I only need my contacts on my phone....and backed up on the Palm servers. But I understand that a lot of people here have thousands of contacts, and that they stay in contact with them with more than just phone conversations and text messaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayspalm View Post
    How did you do contacts without a gmail account?
    Create a Google account here:

https://www.google.com/accounts/NewA...e.com%2F&hl=en

If you never "approve" your account for Gmail access, you'll have access to everything else without Gmail itself...
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    windows outlook manual export csv > import google contacts > google contacts manual export csv> import gmail contacts.

smooth, took me about 10 min.
    App that will convert and upload a Palm Desktop .dat file and upload it directly to Google.

palmreader - Google Code
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    True true...but I only need my contacts on my phone....and backed up on the Palm servers. But I understand that a lot of people here have thousands of contacts, and that they stay in contact with them with more than just phone conversations and text messaging.
    Not only that but your contacts would be synced and accessible on any computer. Making it more convenient to write up emails rather than having to look up all the addresses on your phone then typing them all out on a computer.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    App that will convert and upload a Palm Desktop .dat file and upload it directly to Google.
    Only works up until version 4.0. Any other advice on accurately getting Palm Desktop contacts into Google? Something tells me birthdays, notes, etc are going to fail to import correctly.
    I have the Pre and wish to get my 1800 contacts out of Outlook and onto my Pre. What is the simplest solution out there?

I do have a Google account but I really never use it for anything and I don't wish to start using it. I have a few of my own web domains and like that my e-mails come from my own domains and don't rely on anything related to Google.

I have been using Thunderbird as my e-mail client for the past few months and I was ready to get rid of my Outlook entirely except that it worked so well with my Treo 700 WX in the past.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by discglfr View Post
    I have the Pre and wish to get my 1800 contacts out of Outlook and onto my Pre. What is the simplest solution out there?

I do have a Google account but I really never use it for anything and I don't wish to start using it. I have a few of my own web domains and like that my e-mails come from my own domains and don't rely on anything related to Google.

I have been using Thunderbird as my e-mail client for the past few months and I was ready to get rid of my Outlook entirely except that it worked so well with my Treo 700 WX in the past.

Thanks!
    You either have to store contacts with Palm or Google. Take your pick.

If you go to the Pre support section on Palm's website they have a how-to guide for Outlook to Pre.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I can download the Data Transfer Assistant to my computer. I then click to install it and it says, System Error: The system cannot find the file specified. I kept beating my own head over this yesterday and then started looking for alternative solutions.
    Unlike most people, I think my calendar transferred over OK (after I realized that it was set to sync with Palm Profile instead of Google), but I'm having a heck of a time with my Contacts.

I ran the DTA to copy my data from my freestanding Outlook 2003 on my PC up to Google. Looking thru what was on the Pre, I saw that the auto-linking of contacts by Synergy was a little ropey and was going to need some massaging to smooth the merging of Gmail addresses which may've had off aliases/nicknames for the senders. Whatever. Here's what's really bad.

1. All the fields, especially addresses did not mirror at Google. My girlfriend's entry has home and office addresses and several phone numbers and none of the address and only half of the phone numbers made it upstream.

2. Because Outlook didn't have enough phone # fields to cover all her mother's cell phones (long story), I'd crammed them both together in one field so it looked like "31355512127348675309". I cut and pasted - TAKE THAT APPLE!!!! - one of the numbers into a new entry and pressed Done to exit and it remained the same as I started. I tried a couple of different methods of trying to fix this but it never stuck and I ended up just deleting them.

3. I tried creating a new contact on Google and running Sync Now and it came down immediately. Created a contact on the Pre and synced and it's online.

Why is the upload incomplete? I can't afford to lose anything and can't take forever manually comparing the lists. I'm afraid of what's going to happen when I eventually link Facebook.
    Anyone? Beuller?
    It's just me, it appears. Bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by discglfr View Post

Thanks!
    CompanionLink for Google OR PocketMirror

I went with CompanionLink as I like the idea of being able to have a third location to lookup data as well as syncing to my computer & phone when I'm out and about. PocketMirror syncs via WiFi, so if your computer and phone aren't on the same network (ie Traveling or at a meeting somewhere), updates don't show in the other place until they are on the same network again. Then again, you won't rely on Google (or any other web service) at all. It all depends on your needs...

Oh, CompanionLink is $29.95. PocketMirror is in Beta (and price hasn't been released yet), but the Basic version for PalmOS is $29.95 while the Pro version is $49.95.

Edit: Forgot to mention...one of the programmers of CompanionLink cruises the forums. His handle is something like Clcto. Nice guy, he'll answer any other question you have.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Synced mine in with the 14 day free trial of Companion Link just to get them into my phone only to read later that Palm had a one way one time sync program for this. (The girl at the sprint store couldn't get the data out of my centro)

Anyway, now I have pocketmirror and I've started deleting my Google contacts. The PRE is the only reason I even signed up for Facebook or Google and I'm quickly migrating away from both.
    To migrate from Outlook to Google, I had to tweak my csv file in Excel as an intermediate step. I concatenated names and addresses, and renamed columns, etc.

It was a huge PITA, but once all the fields were right, it was fine. I have been using the Google Contacts since and it is super easy, it actually searches better than my Outlook 2007 and prints a nice little list of future appointments that fits right on the back of a business card, but that is another story.

I can also use Google Contacts independently from gmail.

As for Pre, the changes migrate well (albeit not instantaneously) both ways.
    Because I spend as much time away from my home PC at work and my g/f's, having my info up in the cloud where I can edit it from any computer and then have it silently fed to my phone and backed up appeals to me. (It's not as if Google is going to go out of business, like EVER! Really. They could commit genocide - you know, be REALLY evil - and get a pass.) What I don't understand is why the Outlook fields aren't translating online. Address should be address, right?

The other puzzlement is how some of my contacts have like 7 linked profiles, all with little "g" icons. They look like they're just redundant email addys, but after swiping a few away, I looked at the overall contact card and found some addresses and phone numbers were now missing? WTF? I don't understand where all these different "accounts" are coming from because some are just a single IM handle. Very odd.

I don't want to have to spend $30 to make ONE correct sync operation. My Handspring and Clie came with Palm Desktop and my Axim had Outlook and ActiveSync, so Palm needs to have it's DTA work properly with Google since that's what they're steering us to using.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Question, Do Palm Profile contacts on the Pre sync to Gmail automatically, or will i have to use thunderbird or outlook, or import them using a csv file?
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    Question, Do Palm Profile contacts on the Pre sync to Gmail automatically, or will i have to use thunderbird or outlook, or import them using a csv file?

once setup to check mail, the pre should sync your gmail contacts to it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    The other puzzlement is how some of my contacts have like 7 linked profiles, all with little "g" icons. They look like they're just redundant email addys, but after swiping a few away, I looked at the overall contact card and found some addresses and phone numbers were now missing? WTF? I don't understand where all these different "accounts" are coming from because some are just a single IM handle. Very odd.

i think this is a google issue, and how it handles adding contacts to its contact list.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast