Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm going to wait and transfer my PD to the Pre and then let google sync with the Pre and see what happens. If it's a cluster f, then I'll try other methods. People say Outlook migration is a little more intelligent as far as keeping phone numbers in their proper category (work, home, mobile and such). So I might do a two step transfer if the direct to pre and then google doesn't work.

Trying to play all scenarios and see if I can save work some money by skipping the whole EAS thing and just using google for the company calendar and sharing.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I have a Treo 700p that I sync with Mac OSX address book using Missing Sync. I sync Mac OSX address book with google using sync preferences in address book. I do not have an iPhone or iPod touch. They are not necessay if you follow these directions. This will not sync picture or birthday, but everything else seems to work. You can also sync this way with Yahoo, if you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    So everything else was transferd correctly other than the "main/work" thing? And this was a CSV file from Palm Desktop imported into Google contacts?
    Yes, that was the only issues. I exported vCards the 2nd time and everything worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by todivefor View Post
    I have a Treo 700p that I sync with Mac OSX address book using Missing Sync. I sync Mac OSX address book with google using sync preferences in address book. I do not have an iPhone or iPod touch. They are not necessay if you follow these directions. This will not sync picture or birthday, but everything else seems to work. You can also sync this way with Yahoo, if you like.
    Well then the other requirement is MobileMe. I take for granted that I already have this. I've been a MobileMe (.Mac) user since it was offered for free with iTools back in 2000 and don't intend on dropping it. For those who aren't looking into that Spanning Sync's one time $65 fee is cheaper than MobileMe for one year ($99).
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Have not done this yet.

I could use some help from you all first. I am a standalone Outlook Treo 755p user. I currently sync Outlook with my Treo. Am i going to be able to continue to do this (via a 3rd party app perhaps) or do I have to do the Google thing now. Will syncing thru Google do an adequate job with tasks like maintain categories?

I had assumed by launch time there would be an app that would allow me to use the Palm with Outlook as I currently do.

Finally, I shutter to say this but do you think I would be disappointed with the Pre vs a Blackberry in light of how heavily I rely on the features of Outlook (i use it for GTD).

Sorry for such an elemental question this lat in the game>>>>
    I created a Google account with Contacts and Calender/Tasks with with NO Gmail account associated with it. I've imported/synced from Outlook using CompaionLink for Google.

The process was VERY smooth. When I initially did it, CompanionLink didn't support photos in Google Contacts. However, the newest build of version 3 on the website does. Unfortunately the website field doesn't sync. =(

Calender entries work great!

Note: CompanionLink is creating a version that will sync OTA to your Pre!!! When this releases I will more than likely drop Google all together. Supposedly this will be a free update if you have already purchased CompanionLink.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    I think someone said Companion link will sync Outlook to Pre via WiFi, but both devices have to be on the same WiFi Network (my apologies if I used the wrong term).

I am in the same boat as you are, but I see that virtually every smartphone (except PalmOS of course) already syncs calendar, contacts, tasks, etc with Google ota so it seems that whatever happens in phone world, Google is a smart place to be. So I am migrating my info there.

I made csvs from my exported Outlook contacts (it takes a bit of cleaning-up though) and then I imported them into Google Contacts. It's a little glitchy in that Google contacts sometimes doesn't recognize the fields, but it seems to be OK now. I am going to update and add contacts into Google only.

I also stopped using Outlook tasks and started using Google tasks which I can get on my Treo through Google Mobile.

The calendar is tougher, but I sync my Outlook calendar to Google (and then Outlook to my Treo). That way it doesn't matter where I make the change, it syncs computer to Google, leaving only the phone sync which I do before leaving work each day. I can get the Google calendar on the Treo through Google Mobile, but I might die of old age waiting for it to load....

Bottom line, I was resistant, but now that I have done it, I see a huge value. Good luck.
    Setting up a GMail account looks to be about the best solution I've seen so far. It's free, simple, and guaranteed to work.

I did it with my BlackBerry specifically for transferring my contacts. I have no intention of using the GMail account regularly.
    How did you do contacts without a gmail account?
    www . google. com/ contacts

Sorry for the spaces, but I haven't graduated to full posting rights yet.
    I have a Treo 700p, Palm Desktop, and Gmail. I have never synced my contacts between the Treo and Google in any way. So I have a lot of contacts in Google with just email addresses, but the contacts are often duplicated in my Treo with phone numbers (and not many email addresses).

So I think I have a huge problem that will take manually going through the contacts and copy/pasting/cutting to make things right.

Suggestions?
    Why do we all have to go through this crazy "get it into google" thing? I thought you can just have the Sprint guy hook your WinMo, BB, or other phone to the Pre and it will move the contacts, right?

People made fun of me in another thread when I was surprised that this could be done, or can't it be??

I am confused!
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Why do we all have to go through this crazy "get it into google" thing? I thought you can just have the Sprint guy hook your WinMo, BB, or other phone to the Pre and it will move the contacts, right?

People made fun of me in another thread when I was surprised that this could be done, or can't it be??

I am confused!
    i trust the "Sprint Guy" with my data about as far as i can throw him.
    I put in all my contacts into google by hand from my samsung tmobile phone.
    that was fun :/
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by kilword View Post
    I put in all my contacts into google by hand from my samsung tmobile phone.
    that was fun :/
    now that's dedication. no pain, no gain. how many?
    I have my contacts backed up to my PC. How hard can it be.... hook it up, hit a button, and wait.... uh and maybe hope a little! lol.
    Exported contacts by group from Outlook to .csv (Employees/Customers)
    Imported by group to gmail (Created new folder for Employees/Customers)
    around 500 contacts imported in < 5min. way easy...

Will move personal contacts over from my 755p at time of setup

Expect the Pre to be loaded and ready Saturday morning by 9:30am

Will be syncing with email & calanders later in the day...

Enough work...Let's Play!!! Yes I will be playing with it
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrtdog View Post
    Exported contacts by group from Outlook to .csv (Employees/Customers)
    Imported by group to gmail (Created new folder for Employees/Customers)
    around 500 contacts imported in < 5min. way easy...

Will move personal contacts over from my 755p at time of setup

Expect the Pre to be loaded and ready Saturday morning by 9:30am

Will be syncing with email & calanders later in the day...

Enough work...Let's Play!!! Yes I will be playing with it
    how did all the fields sync up? did you use most fields on outlook?
    I did not use any field mapping, just a straight export and import and gmail seems to have handled it...checking more thoroughly now though,,,
    After further checking, it appears that this process worked perfect for me down to and including the "map" links. Nice, this means that if the Pre imports correctly, i will be able to launch navigation from a contact???

That would be cool since I am on the road a fair amount.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast